Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 07:24:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wood finishing?  (Read 950 times)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« on: October 19, 2010, 02:43:41 PM »

have red oak using on floor. it has been t&g by me from lumber we sawed and dried..should I just use linseed oil or urathane or what?  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 03:45:21 PM »

Bob if it was me I wood use Urethane Floor Hardener. It is what they use on Basketball courts. Check out the water based ones. Clean up is a lot easier. Chevron use to make the oil based ones years ago. Home Depot or any good Paint store has them. Vent it well and where a mask. Use a Sheep skin applicator  after doing the sanding etc. and prep, light sanding in between coats. At least 2 coats 3 if you have the time.

Dave

Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 06:19:35 PM »

Use the urathane!! Any kind of oil will allow contaminents to penetrate. I would only use oil on a cuttung board!! Olive oil. We use either precat laquer, or conversion varnish on anywood surface other than the floor. Hope this helps.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 08:21:34 PM »

Thanks understand now! so with 2 year old Cash Carter spills his Ilk (milk with strawberry) it would sink in linseed oil but not in urethane. so no to linseed   Thanks all      Bob.  Definitely not a wood person just learning.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 04:30:34 PM »

Erickbsc;

You mentioned using olive oil on a cutting board. Not a good idea. FWIW
Clean them with lemon juice and salt, (grit and Acid)

Use only pure Mineral oil, all other kitchen oils go rancid and you will get sick. Just thought you should know?

Dave

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: