Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
May 20, 2018, 06:30:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Double Roof MCI9?  (Read 1675 times)
mcidave

Ignore
« on: October 20, 2010, 11:09:57 AM »

I am a newbee to the board...
I have been converting a Double Roofed 1982 MCI9 Crusader bus and was wondering if anyone knows of the history or background of such an animal?  All I know is that it was used to move prisoners in West TX... When I got it I had to remove the security bars from the windows and the shotgun chair and gate in the front behind the driver.
Why I did not take pictures I never know, I guess I am not much for that sort of thing.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 12:30:01 PM »

well, they made double roofed MC-5C in 1979 for Saudi, so it's not a stretch of the imagination to think they made a similarly customized MC-9 in 1982.  Do you have a picture of the roof - you should still have that!

I think a double roof is a great modification, actually.  I think it would reduce the heat load dramatically in direct sunlight.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia
mcidave

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 12:36:12 PM »

The heat issue is one thing that I hope it helps with in the long run. 

I going to try to get a pic up here soon of the roof.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 01:43:28 PM »

Dave, those were INS buses you still see the MCI 12 prison bus running in West Texas.
The Lubbock County Sheriff Dept had 2 of those INS buses with the double roof they sold about 3 years ago ? for you how did you get the smell out of that bus the ones in Lubbock brought nothing because of the smell I open the door to look at one and ran whew it was bad,they didn't transport the most desirable people in our civilization lol.

good luck 

Life is short drink the good wine first
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 07:39:05 PM »

We used to maintain an INS MC12 based in Portland.  It was common to never dump the tank, they ran straight thru from Seattle to Mexico, just swapping drivers.  Was told by them that the human waste would at times pile up clear to the top of the tank.  The lavatory doors were removed too.  Don't know how the officers could take it.  The drivers told me at times the illegals beat them back up north after they dumped them on the south end.  What a job.

'81 Eagle 15/45, NO MORE
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic, NO MORE
Vancouver, WA USA
mcidave

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 08:10:39 AM »

This one I bougt four years ago and it did not have a smell that I remembered.  I had a bus repair shop check it out and he said that it was generaly a low mileage unit. i am thinking he is right looking at how straight the body was.

Thanks for the help with the history.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: