Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 10:01:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to get plexiglass in the NC area?  (Read 1310 times)
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« on: October 23, 2010, 06:34:59 AM »

Hi folks, I am needing 3 sheets of 3/8ths plexiglass and am having a tough time finding it.
Any ideas out there in the NC area?
(Two of them are for the skylights, the other sheet...I have a crazy idea I can make the rear glass for the Scenicruiser that is made of unobtainium!LOL)
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 08:08:30 AM »

I can't help you on Plexiglass in the NC area.  Are you sure you really want acrylic for this?  My experience is that acrylic is very brittle and could break.  Lexan/polycarbonate is what a lot of replacement windows are made of.

I made a temporary window for my bus out of acrylic once.  It didn't last even a mile on the highway before it cracked and split and the whole thing ripped loose.  (I was lucky it didn't hit another vehicle.)  I'll admit it wasn't real expensive acrylic and maybe 3/8" would have worked.  I decided I wouldn't make any more temporary windows unless I could afford to use polycarbonate.

Basically I had cut the opening for the window smaller than the final hole and screwed the acrylic to the skin.  I had drilled holes in the acrylic first.  I also used a bead of caulk all the way around.  It wasn't pretty, but I only needed it for a few weeks.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
steve wardwell

73 MCI 7 8/71T combo just happy to be here

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 08:23:23 AM »

lexan is available on line or from a large boat repair shop.....great stuff but very costly...I paid $800 for a 4x8 or 5x10 in 1/2" smoked and cut to the sizes I needed.......careful dont scratch it

Sometimes the more I think about something the less I think about something.    As soon as I save a little money my bus finds out.                                      Why grab a plane when you can take the bus ?                         If I'm wrong 10% of the time how can the "Queen" be right 100%
stevet903

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 09:07:29 AM »

www.eplastics.com will have what you are looking for, and will cut to the size you need.

Steve
ArtGill

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 03:01:56 PM »

Go to you local hardware store and see if they will make you a deal to include your special order in their next order.  It helps get their volume up and saves on shipping cost per sheet.  Talk to a manager for a special price.  They may also have some advice and scraps for you to experiment with.

Art

Art & Cheryll Gill
Morehead City, NC
1989 Eagle Model 20 NJT, 6v92ta
norules

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 03:07:29 PM »

http://www.piedmontplastics.com/locations.asp
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 03:52:05 PM »

Piedmont Plastics on WT Harris Blvd. in Charlotte can get you just about anything and cut it to size.

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
gm4106

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 05:36:15 AM »

Jack
Highway Yacht is right. I bought a sheet of lexan 4'x8'x1/8" from them for a drag race car project.
Good people to deal with.

GM PD4106-1689 8V71TA  V730
Mount Holly,NC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: