Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 09:06:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let the saga begin  (Read 9288 times)
jordansinthesky
Otterpilot

Me at work.

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2010, 04:34:25 AM »

After lots of searching, and lots of questions asked and answered by you wonderful people, I am heading out tomorrow to pick up my 4104.  I was worried about driving home but out of nowhere came the guy that converted the last bus I lived in and he just happened to want to go, so I will have a sidekick in the bus and a vehicle chasing. I am super excited and yet super apprehensive.  Please put out good energy for me, and keep me in your thoughts!  I will update as I can during the trip. (Should be short, Hemet Ca, to Phoenix Az_)

1957 PD4104.  Self proclaimed youngest busnut in the nation.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 04:39:39 AM »

Happy Travels! Grin

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 04:57:34 AM »

Have fun!!!

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 06:02:57 AM »

Jordan, it is always great to see all of the learning threads come to fruition.  It is better yet to be able to follow the new bus nut as he brings his treasure home. 

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
jordansinthesky
Otterpilot

Me at work.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 01:22:02 PM »

Thanks guys.  Gearing up to go.  I have my checklists etc.  But I saw somewhere on here and now can't find a list of the very essential items/tools/etc. to have any time on the road.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thx.

1957 PD4104.  Self proclaimed youngest busnut in the nation.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 01:54:20 PM »

I don't know about a list but if it was me going to get an unknown vehicle the most common problem I'd be prepared to deal with is electrical gremlins.  So test light, VOM, black tape would be high on my list.  After that it's pretty well up to your imagination and how much weight you can carry.  It's probably harder to come up with a list of tools that you absolutely would never need. 

For sure a tire gauge and I'm a big fan of grease guns, particularly for stuff that has been sitting for a while. 

Probably the most important tool you can carry is a credit card with a high limit.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 09:35:18 PM »

I like to have about 15 gallons of fuel (no fuel guage on my coach yet), some bungie cords, some electrical tape and a splicer, a battery operated drill...... a friend told me on my first voyage to have plenty of oil, water and an infared gun. Take a cell phone (for calling road side assistance) and internet access to get help from the people here. Oh and something else, pick up a highway orange cone......... never know when it might come in handy!

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 04:19:58 AM »

I would also carry a set of jumper cables some wire and duct tape. A small assortment of tools, rags and coveralls. Plan for the worst and expect the best!

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 06:19:51 AM »

Me at work. I'm currently busless

You are going to have to change your signature!!   Congratulations,  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 07:36:46 AM »

I guess i lucked out when i went to pick up our bus 1100 miles from home.  All i took was a couple of changes of clothes, money for fuel and food, and a road atlas....of course at that time i was not yet aware of the bus boards so was not properly paranoid about about driving it anywhere without a full set of tools and parts on hand. Didn't even have a cell phone at the time, makes me wonder that i ever got it home. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 07:43:38 AM »

We did too Ed.  We bought ours sight unseen off the internet, paid for it in full before we ever saw it.  Then we flew out to pick it up so I didn't take any tools with me.  I did have a good friend in the city where the bus was located so I was counting on him for emergency tools.  And I had a good piece of plastic in my pocket. (which I didn't need as it turned out - that came later)

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 07:56:24 AM »

We knew absolutely nothing about busses when we picked ours up in W. Texas. We just knew that an RV was not working for us, didnt hold up to the miles we do. It was the best thing we could have done. She has been a good ol girl for us tho, still a lot of spunk left in her. I will be sad when she drives off tho, even tho I am excited to get into the new one. Have fun with the new bus, I know it is exciting, even tho you cant help bus worry a little.  Roll Eyes

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 08:09:04 AM »

This would make a good article in BCM. if we can keep the thread on topic  Roll Eyes we can all learn, this is getting interesting. Lots of good stories!

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
cody

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 08:21:46 AM »

I was one of the lucky ones too, I bought mine before i knew about the board here, my first time behind the wheel I had to drive it thru the heart of Oshkosh during the largest air show in the country, it seemed that the bus was wider than the narrow streets of oshkosh but I got it home the 350 miles or so with only one minor incident, one of the steer tires picked up a rock and whipped it past my shoulder and made a chip on the inside of the windshield, yep no floor or bay floors at that time lol.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 08:33:13 AM »

For me it is Coachnet,plastic,cell phone and very few tools 98% of the time you are going to shop anyway just the nature of the beast
For me it is always a laugh when you go into a shop and the owner of the bus has his big Snap on Tool box in the bay on rollers setting in a shop paying the shop 100 bucks a hour to do work and he wants to show you his tools lol.
 I never carried much in the way of tools do your pre trip and keep up the maintenance and all is well

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: