Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 02:26:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eden pure heater  (Read 3799 times)
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2010, 06:39:59 AM »

Has anyone tryed this yet, or have any thoughts. thanks
The New EdenPURE GEN4 Heater

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 06:48:12 AM »

They work about as well as the 17.00 heaters from WalMart.

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 07:19:51 AM »

I don't know about that one but a friend has the older one (gen 3??) that looks like an end table with the opening in the end.  He uses it in a 32' motor home and it keeps it real toasty.  He really likes it.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 07:21:25 AM »

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/home/2008/11/edenpure-heater.html

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/home/2010/02/edenpure-gen-3-model-1000-space-heater-consumer-reports-review-amish-heater-.html

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
cody

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 07:30:54 AM »

How do they get more heat out of 5000 BTU than other heaters get out of 5000 BTU.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 07:33:43 AM »

high dollar..can"t see return. Daugther. has one used briefly didn"t see lower elect bill so put it away. $400 wasted bucks to save nothing. not sure it was same brand but looks like it. Grandson enjoyed box!

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 07:41:00 AM »

All you do is turn your heat off and place Eden pure in one room to heat.

Len Silva posted the consumer report

Its just a electric heater that you can get anywhere for $20.00

1976 4905
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 07:47:51 AM »

Grandson enjoyed box!

Hahahahahahahahahahaha .... I think I just hurt myself!  What a memory, I bought my grandson a $100 battery operated dumptruck for Christmas, even sprang for extra rechargable batteries and a charger.

He played all day with the box.

Thanks for that reminder Robert.

BCO

ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 07:49:07 AM »

delete
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 09:34:54 AM by ruthi » Logged

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 07:55:44 AM »

Thanks Len for the links, that was helpful and helped me decide not to get a 4 hundred dollar electric heater or not, NOT! thanks guys for the comments. I guess I will give the Big Buddy heater another chance in January to freeze the doors shut, it was a failed attempt last Jan Grin
  Problem we had last year was (after all the partying was over) getting into a cold bus and expecting the BBH to instantly heat up the bus,all it did was soak every thing down with condensation. I think keeping the coach comfy warm using the BBH before the sun drops might be key, as opposed to trying to heat up an already cold one. Thanks all for the insight. Smiley. By the way all the OTR HVAC has already been tore out, and no systems installed to replace it as of yet, cept the BBH. Grin . FWIW The box is kinda what caught my eye at first ROFLMAO Grin

Thanks Ruthi, we all posted same time Wink
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 07:57:44 AM by van » Logged

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 07:58:15 AM »

Van, Fred over at Pahrump has the end table model in his 102 MCI all I know it works his coach is always nice and warm it's the only heat he has fwiw the heat strips in the AC work also with fans on low  

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 08:05:09 AM »

Thanks Clifford, that'll be the next Topic Heat strips. I will start a new Thread on that, might be useful info (at least to me Grin) being as there are now quite a few new daring bus nuts runnin' empty shells also, can't have them freezing to death not knowing how to stay warm LOL!

John Z

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 08:45:03 AM »

Van, don't know if this will help you in your application or not, but here it is anyway. I was looking for a wall mount, portable heater that could be used in my bus, and in my place in texas during the winter. I narrowed it down to a micathermic heater, and the ceramic heater made by Lasko. After looking around and reading about them i bought the Lasko and it is great! Best feature about it is the digital thermostat. It does a great job of holding the temp. I mount it under the dinette table in my bus. The adjustable heat register on it allows it to shoot the heat out from under the table direct onto the couch area. It pulls in cold air off the floor, so it keeps the air moving around pretty good. I guess the negatives would be the fan noise, and the fact it cost around 70.00. If it broke this afternoon, i would have another by evening!

www.silverbrook-mn.com

Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 09:13:43 AM »

Thank you John, What model is it ? I found the site on line.
http://laskoproducts.com/

John Z

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 09:42:13 AM »

It is the cyclonic ceramic heater, model 5805. Thats what is on the front of the box. If that doesn't help, let me know and i can send you a pic of it.

www.silverbrook-mn.com

John Z

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 09:43:42 AM »

I forgot to mention, i bought mine at walmart. Around here we have Menard's lumber stores, and i see they have a newer model. The case is black instead of gray and it has a remote control. Price at both places is 70.00.

www.silverbrook-mn.com

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 02:51:25 PM »

Van, it seems that there are different issues here.  One is keeping warm with electricity, and the other is keeping warm without it.  As far as electric heaters go, they are all 100% efficient--meaning that all the energy put in is converted to heat.  100% efficiency is the limit (except for heat pumps in some sense).  So a cheap 1500 watt heater puts out the same amount of heat as an expensive 1500 watt heater.  The comparisons then come down to how well they distribute the heat, how loud they are, how safe they are, etc.  I have found the cheap plastic ones to be great since they are quite, relatively cool and easily moved from place to place.  If you jump from the $20 range to the $60 range, they will have tip over protection, and remote controls that act as thermostats.  However, if you need more than 5000 BTU's none of them will do the job alone.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 05:48:37 PM »

Van, you better hurry up and get a heater now that the temps are only in the 80's/low 90's. We don't want you to freeze!  Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 06:16:49 PM »

Ed, you know I do get a chill, Mom says I need to put on more weight, but that ain't working and even quit smoking (13 days so far, on the patch Wink) so... I think a nice lil' heater should do fine lol.
 Lin, I agree, couple of $20 dollar elec heaters should do nicely, heck only need it 3 months out of the year, tops Grin

Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 09:46:42 PM »

I hear the "Wave heaters" are pretty good any of you use them and if so which size. Does it heat the whole Coach or just an Area. How much gas do they use. Are they safe with Cats. Don't want Feline Flambe' Don't YA Know.

Dave

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 11:19:12 PM »

Olympian heaters are one of the standards in RV's.  They are very efficient for propane use but do use living space oxygen.  Therefore one is instructed to have a window cracked to replace the loss.  They come with oxygen sensors as a safety to shut them down if the level falls too much.  This also means they can have a problem functioning at high altitudes.  The other general complaint is that they add moisture to your environment.  Depending on the humidity where you are, this may or may not be an annoyance.  Lots of people like the radiant heat that they put out, and your cats may like it also.  I would guess the up close heat will keep them at a safe distance though.  That's just a guess, maybe someone here has real experience.  Most importantly, since they are catalytic, they convert the poisonous carbon monoxide to non poisonous carbon dioxide.  I personally though would not consider them safe to use without a carbon monoxide sensor since things don't always work like they are supposed to.

There is another version of that heater called the Platinum Cat. That one has a small vent fan to avoid some of the above issues, but it does require a tiny amount of electricity to function.  The Olympians do not.  We use a combination of heater sources: electric if adequate power is available, a standard RV furnace, an Olympian at times, and I have a Platinum Cat that I keep thinking I will install in the bedroom.  Too little oxygen or too much CO could ruin, or greatly prolong, a nights sleep.  It all depends on how you look at it.

Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 03:43:29 PM »

I will not shoot down the Edenpure product as I am sure because of many earlier models that were returned that they had to clean up their product quality from the past.  Because of this previous information from a few years ago I choose to get us a (Comfortzone Therapeutic Infrared Heater).  We purchased this two years ago, at that time there was two models, (CZ1000 or the CZ1500).  The 1000 model had 6 infrared heater cores in it which were smaller in diameter than the 1500 model.  The 1500 model only had 4 heater elements which were larger and just looked of quality that you would know was good.

Not to get into any contest of quality but research on the net, (Google)  and see that the Comfortzone Heater is assured to get 20,000 actual hours of use before a possibility of replacing any of the elements in the heater.  Versus the Edenpure's models expect 5,000 hours before needing coil replacement perhaps.

The replacement coils for the 1500 at the time we purchased ours was $15.00 each which we ordered as spares down the road, we hope way down the road.  That is quite cheap to us and I have to admit that this little bugger is great.  We close off bedrooms not needed to have complete heat in them to cut down the heated space for the heater to work keeping warm.  The comfort zone is also remote controlled is you want to use it or manual set controls as well.  We have an upstairs that the heat travels up the stairs freely because of heating rising of coarse and the upstairs is quite comfortable.  

We have used our heater every day during the winter in SC, it may not get as cold as upstate NY but when it does dip down into the single or lower double digits it is still cold no matter where you live.  I sit in our home wearing a t-shirt and pants of coarse but we keep about 1000 sq. ft if not a little more really comfortable.  I might also add that all our furnature etc. is also kept warm as us from this heater and our puppies love that as well as us.  This helps with controlling the on and off of the heater if everything is as warm as we are, or I believe this anyhow.

We bought this with intention to use on our bus but you all know that isn't happening as yet!!!  So we use it in our home and even when we do get to use our bus we will either get another one for the house exactly or a newer model than the one we now have or move it from the bus to our home when needed.  It is not very heavy but is very good looking, we have the (Wood Grain Finish model) which goes with anything.

The motor is all metal roller bearings and the fan is so quiet you hardly can tell it is on but the comfort we receive says it is.  I have seen older Edenpure models that were really noisy when trying to watch TV or something and your heater is in that room.  Inquire if they have redesigned this feature as it is annoying to talk over, nap over and just a PIA to listen to.

Now things may have changed for Edenpure from when I mentioned the earlier models, research, find out how they are made, the size of the heater elements, life expectancy of the heater elements & the cost of replacements.  Note, order replacement elements no matter what you purchase now as in probably weeks they will be out stock because of design changes with the speed of technology now days.  This is only a suggestion.

Compare the differences of the heaters, perhaps all you do need is the $20 models from Lowe's etc!  But I can swear about the comfort we get with our Comfort Zone CZ1500, AC heater.  

Also, don't shut your furnace completely off and depend only on your electric space heater as you will require heat in other parts of your home no matter what for safety of pipes etc.  You can cut down the amount of setting on your thermostat though and this will cut down the furnace use a lot more than you realize.  

Don't take my word for it now, research as with this net we can all do now and then make a decision from your data you found.  We love ours.
Good Luck,

Gary
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 03:52:03 PM by Gary LaBombard » Logged

Gary
dougyes

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 06:19:30 PM »

I was surprised how well the Comfortzone heater worked. It was much better than the cheaper coil with fan type or the quartz radiant type of the same wattage. All theory aside as to why it shouldn't, that is my personal experience.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 10:35:45 AM »

If a heater is shown in a full page magazine or newspaper ad you can be sure it is overpriced or worthless, or both.

You can either have electric heat that heats the air or heats directly at whatever is in front of it. No matter how you package it that is all it will do.

Of course it is cheaper to turn off whole house systems and only heat one room with a portable heater - makes sense.

We heat our 4104 with two 1500W portables ($19 at WM), usually on Medium which is about 900W. We seldom use both at the same time and almost never use high (1500W). Of course a 4104 is small but it is poorly insulated and drafty.

Any cheap elect heater will do the same, just be sure to get one with a thermostat, otherwise it runs all the time.

When without elect power we use two portable LP heaters at Med settings. They heat great but do cause condensation which clears up fast with the bus heat on.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 12:32:37 PM »

I wandered over to the Henderson CW Undecided, I should have went straight to WM instead Shocked. Waste of time that trip was Angry. Maybe the end of the week then, Wally world bound...

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 03:19:44 PM »

I was at Costco today.  They had a couple of nice heaters.  There was a fan forced quartz one for $50. and another one with a remote for $40.

Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 04:07:16 PM »

Just looked at this lil' fella at lowes, thows nice heat for a 1500W at $ 20.00 of course they were otta stock Grin
http://www.lowes.com/pd_42722-87513-DQ720_4294856722_4294937087_?productId=1182989&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Electric%2BFireplaces%2B_4294856722_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1
 Smiley

gus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010, 07:12:04 PM »

I just noticed in an Eden Pure ad today that they heat the air at the  floor just as well as at the ceiling!

An amazing defeat of one of the laws of physics!

There is as much hot air coming from their ads as from their heaters.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: