Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 12:38:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rear interior bedroom- ideas?  (Read 1870 times)
Tully Lee

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2010, 07:35:01 AM »

I have a 1990 Prevost Country Coach LeMirage 40 foot bus.

The back of my bus has a bead that is elevated and sits width wise (island style)...  I have built in cabinets on the back wall.

We "never" use this back bedroom.  We do not do more than one night if we camp.  Basically we
are on the road 95% of the time vrs. parked.  Trying to walk around this bed is a pain.  It just
does not make sense for us.

As the RV and Bus market has all be dried up the value now is in us keeping the coach and
making it really fit our life style.  I want to do most of this myself to help save $. 

I want to utilize this back space more.

I was thinking about taking the bed and cabinets out and putting in a back lounge with either two
sofa's facing each other on each side with a tv on the back wall.  Or set it up like a lounge in
an entertainer coach.  I have two boys and this would make for a nice area for them to play
their videos and give mom and dad some space... ;-}  The sofas would be the type that fold out
into a bed so we would not be loosing sleeping space.  I can gain almost two feet of space once I
take out the back cabinets.

Anyways, I think I can proceed slow and dismantle this back section.  My worry is once I have the bed out what I am going to be dealing with on the floor.  Does the engine come up into the bus?  Reason
I ask is that I know there is an access point from this area on the bus.  Is this why the bed is elevated?
Am I able to do flooring over the back area and simple have a hinged accesss panel.    Again, I do not
know how high up the engine is in relation to the floor?  Does this make sense?

Anyone who knows or who has done a project like this I would appreciate input.

I know I will probably have some static on taking out a bed and bedroom.  But, this would fit our life
style so much better and I will reatain anything I take out for future use if needed to be put back in.

Thanks,

Tully
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 08:07:04 AM »

Go online and look at entertainer coaches.  Most of them have a rear lounge instead of a bedroom, might give you some ideas.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 08:17:02 AM »

Your not going to gain and actual floor length space..In your 90 you have two step ups..the first you come to will be about 1 ft high and 18inches deep then step up again about2 ft and be 20 plus inches to rear of coach.cabinets are built around these step ups. must retain the access hatch in floor it is fastened down with bolts..practice is to build furniture over it that can be removed..simple frame for couch across back and down both sides make a great u shaped lounge area  add dvd and game playing cabinet and they are set to go..make couches a little wider than normal and no need for fold out bed just sleep on couch. wood frame  foam  and fabric  good to go! added storage under couches.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Tully Lee

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 05:42:56 PM »

Seeing if this photo comes out ok of back bedroom...

Ok, bottom pic came out a little better to give you an idea of what I am dealing with and talking
about...

Tully
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 05:46:45 PM by Tully Lee » Logged
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 06:24:35 PM »

Tully same website as table : first pictured bus on left 2008 superior has rear lounge.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 08:12:11 PM »

Check with Larry at Paradise in Eugene Or  www.bestcoachconversions.com he does remodels and may have built your coach,I saw a Prevost he installed a rear lounge and a magic bed in the celing like the Safari Trek uses, bed comes down for sleeping my wife has one in her Trek pretty neat setup

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Depewtee

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 03:01:20 PM »

Tully,

I have a 1981 Prevost and I am in the process of doing the exact same thing with the bedroom for the same exact reason.  I plan on a television on the back wall between the two built in cabinets.  I have not decided what to do on furniture/seating in that room, but, like you, we do not stay overnight often.  Me and four buddies spent the weekend at Talladega and as I am in the process of pulling out the interior of the bus we all slept on air mattresses.  This worked well for us (I know for many this may not work).  We enjoyed having the "beds" out of the way during the day.

Brian S.

Brian Shonk
Fort Walton Beach, FL (Florida Panhandle)
1981 Prevost LeMirage Liberty Coach
1984 TMC MC-9
Tully Lee

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 04:03:04 PM »

Brian:

How far along are you?  I have found some pretty good info to date I would like to share with you.

Tully
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 05:02:45 PM »

Tully your CC has some significant components in the base of that bed you will have to deal with. I would also plan on removing all exzisting wood cabinetry gently so you can reassemble stuff if you do decide to sell it.

The CC version of OTR A/C evap and blower is down there under the bed there are rope lights an outlet and possibly a toe kick heater as well. CC also did a very nice job of fit and finish on that base it will disassemble wonderfully.

I would suggest a couch at least 2/3 the way across the back and maybe around the corner too if you want that. That way you can leave all the exzisting components in and build over them.

You also want to be able to access the engine hatch in the floor back there too.

If you do not want that base of the bed for whatever reason I will take it and anything else you remove and do not want.

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
Depewtee

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 05:27:27 PM »

Tully,

Current progress...

Brian S.

Brian Shonk
Fort Walton Beach, FL (Florida Panhandle)
1981 Prevost LeMirage Liberty Coach
1984 TMC MC-9
Tully Lee

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 05:33:50 PM »

Joe:

All I have done to date is take the matress off and pulled out a few doors to take some measurements.
If you want to come out and take a look you are more than welcome.  In fact, what items I pull out
we could work something out for sure.

Never certain when you are around or flying around the country doing your "top notch" work.
If you want to send me an email we can set up a time for you to take a look.  At present I was
thinking about keep the entire back wall of cabinetry.  Taking out the bed and the two end tables.
I would place a small U shape lounge where the head of the bed and end tables were.  

I was then going to simply re-carpet the back area in similar carpet color and style and be done with
it.  Try not to do anymore than that.  

I will post a picture of the sofa / dinnette I was thinking of using in this area.  You remember my coach
well.  Going into the bedroom the head of the bed is to the right with an end table on each side.  The
sofa set up is 80 wide by 34 deep which would be just perfect with the bed and end tables out.  Would
work nice with the kids.

I just saw your pictures. You are doing a "major" update.  I like the back bedroom.  The bed in the center is
always in the way and never used.  I think this will be ideal for me.

Let me know if and when you have some time to drop by.

Will buy you a nice Steak dinner...

Tully

Tully Lee

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 05:47:05 PM »

Brian-

That is a major project there my friend.

Im looking to simply ditch the bed and end tables and put in the lounge sofa.

Some more pictures of the sofa...

Joe, I was not aware of all the mechanicals under the base of the bed. Can
they be re-routed?

Tully
jok

Its a bus thing...Im glad were on board!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 06:46:22 PM »

Tully,

We have a spare sofabed and dinette that we use once or twice a year for family weddings or day trips with the grandkids and their friends. Our '90 Prevost came with a side door behind where we put the bunks. When we want the rear bedroom to be a lounge we take out the bunks, take out the bed, install the sofa and dinette and reinstall the bunks. It takes a little over two hours to change over by myself using the side door. I don't know if I would be able to change it over by myself if I had to use the front door.

Check out photos on PhotoBucket:
http://s852.photobucket.com/albums/ab86/jok-kalamazoo/Prevost%20Motor%20Home/

Good Luck,
John

1990 Prevost
1977 MC8-Sold
Southwest Michigan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: