Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 07:11:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wounded Eagle - major rust problem  (Read 3032 times)
DanKeeton

2001 MCI Renaissance 102-ELS

Ignore
« on: November 01, 2010, 05:16:48 AM »

RJ,

The Eagle, after taking out the ceiling, was found to be completely rusted in the roof. The roof is collapsing. If you open a window it will not shut. The framework underneath is rusted as well.

I am not handy with metal and the purchase is a complete loss.

Live and learn.

Dan

Moderator Note:  This topic had been placed at the end of an old thread about a MCI.  As Bob suggested it will do better in its own thread.  I am also merging Bob's thread into this one as several replies have been made to it already.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:58:38 AM by HighTechRedneck » Logged

Dan Keeton
Ashland, KY
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 05:33:47 AM »

Dan I think you need to start new topic..and ask about possible solutions..I live on the Ohio but way down stream (Evansville Ind) Ky Steve is between us and is a Eagle guy.   Bob
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:08:56 AM by robertglines1 » Logged

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 06:04:59 AM »

Dan a new member..posted under a old topic about a Mci E 4500 rebuild engine that he had purchased a Eagle instead..He removed ceiling to only find rusted out and collapsing. and apparently significant rusting around windows..He seams to think his purchase is a total loss! Is located in Ashland Ky.  I know nothing of Eagles so can"t really help..If you post possible solutions here I'm sure he will read them.  Bob

Moderator Edit:  I split out Dan's post from the MCI thread and merged this one to it since there were already some replies.  So I felt it appropriate to modify this post to avoid confusing new comers to the thread.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:06:21 AM by HighTechRedneck » Logged

Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 06:18:40 AM »

Bob, I was just reading that thread. I was under the impression that he had a 102 MCI. The only one I know of that had a lot of rust damage is Gary L. Kentucky Steve and others did complete tear downs and have had success with theirs. Maybe Dan can post the model and year?
  Rusting around the windows seems to be the norm for Eagle busses when they are not maintained properly, but this is the first time I have heard of the roof rails collapsing, but I myself am still learning quite a bit about Eagles too! Smiley hopefully others will be along as the coffee brews Grin

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 06:48:49 AM »

It would be nice to know what model and year of Eagle he has along with a few photos bet it is not as bad as it sounds only takes a 4 inch grinder,a mig welder,stack of 1inch tubing a little time.
I for one would like to know if he is talking about the roof brows or the cap framing
The gmc bus guy bought a Eagle he thought was junk with a little coaching from the guys on the Eagle board www.eaglesinternational.net he rolled up his sleeves got into it found out it is not going to be that big of a deal and he had rust in the worst place the front cross member and he bought his rolled tubing from Craig at a good price

good luck
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:15:59 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
cody

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 06:51:21 AM »

My iggle had some rust in a few of the floor supports, the ones that go from the side wall to the center beam, I replaced 4 of those, that was about the extent of my rust that I know about, my entire interior was gutted, even the floors were wide open, I also had to replace some metal supports under the bays, but thats all I can think of.  I had no rust around the windows or ceiling area, it would have been easy to see if any had been there cause I had no interior of any kind just the truss framework and the exterior wall showing from the inside, I even have a rock chip on the inside of the windshield from where a steer tire picked up a rock and sent it past my shoulder into the windshield lol. I enjoyed watching the road go by under my feet, you could really tell which county road commission took care of their stretch of road and which ones didn't.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 01:17:41 PM »

thanks Mike I was afraid Dan would give up but looks like the Eagle guys have answers for him. just 1 inch tubing? is this to replace old or supplement next to a bad piece?

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 01:46:39 PM »

Hi Dan, Long time no see!

I'm a bit confused by this post. Can you enlighten me!

Good to hear from you again!

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 03:46:23 PM »

Dan,
Not to take away from this bb'd any information others would like to know I will suggest that you also join the Eagles International BB'd for information on your Eagle from other Eagle owners whom have had problems such as yours and repaired them or can steer you in the right direction to get all  the information you can possibly consume.  I will say like some of the others that I too have not seen a roof rotted out such as you indicated yours has done, but we can not determine what may have happened without more information and photo's.  This is the only thing we can do to help you out and observe your problem areas.  This is on anything you do on your bus if you need help. 

My name is Gary LaBombard, I too had a real rust Bucket as it has been called, to fix and I was very discouraged when I found out just how bad is was.  BUT, I will tell you that no matter how bad it is, no matter how bad it is if you have the drive and determination it can be fixed to be better than new.  This is not a job that will take only 1 year or a few weeks, but starting in one area after a full inspection of what needs to be replaced or repaired and concentrating on that area until completed is what you will have to do.  If you try to do it all in your head, you will be overwhelmed and very discouraged. 

Kentucky Steve, (Steve Gains) of KY also has done a phenominal job at removing all his Eagle rust and if you are interested he is also installing (4) slide outs now on his Eagle.  He is probably closest in location to you, you should stop anything you are doing to your Eagle now and take a long day with your camera to go visit him for ideas and encouragement.  Check to be sure he has the time off to devote to you as he is a very busy guy with his business and all but he will do all he can for another Busnut for sure.   Also purchase Bus Conversion Magazine that is advertised on this website.  There is many, many helpful hints on fabricating, electrical by Sean, plumbing and the list goes on as does the reputation of this informative magazine.

I have a CD I wish you had purchased before buying your Eagle that I made that would have probably made you more informed of how to inspect your Eagle.  It probably would not have helped you with your roof problem you now have that worries me how this happened in the first place unless it is at the joints of where your caps meet the roof line etc. That is water under the bridge now as far as having any inspectin information, but I assure you your Eagle can be fixed, (even your roof) but you have a lot of work to do and other Eagle owners will do all we can to assist you with information on how to fix some things.  But seeing repairs done to a Eagle in person is priceless and that is why I suggested you contact Kentucky Steve.  You can email him through this bulletin board members list profile.

I am a little nervous though when you said you are not handy with metal work and this could be a real problem.  I have no idea what your investment is, but if it is not a lot, consider stopping your repairs of her and consider selling parts off her and start over again.  (This is only a suggestion from someone who paid too much for his initial investment to do as I suggest to you).  Only this time you need to get information on how to inspect any bus you purchase and look for one that will allow you to use your bus now with very little changes needing to be done.  It is easy for me to say now what others should do, I wish someone had helped me make purchasing decisions and inspections before I bought mine.  Now after all this time when I am done I could not put a true value on it, nor will anyone who spends the time we do when we rebuild them from the ground up. 

This is only a suggestion now and not anything to take personal, if you are not versed in metal work, welding and working alone most times then try to get out of this project for your own sanity.  You may recoup your initial investment by parting her out and selling these parts to guys like me.  It is up to you, we just do not want to see you get discouraged after a year or longer and finding more stuff wrong as you go.  This is my 8th year now.  I do not work on it every day but I have missed a lot of time I could of enjoyed being with friends with a bus in better condition than what mine was in when purchased.

There is a lot of buses on the market now Dan, good luck on your decision and consider joining Eagles International as well as this bb'd because most of the members there are Eagle owners at:
http://eaglesinternational.net

If there is anything I can do to help feel free to contact me, I make long posts as you can see so don't get impatient with my answers to you. 

Good luck again,
Gary, Owner of the ("Rustless Money Pit")

Gary
DanKeeton

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 04:53:54 PM »

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the delay, I was in NC, purchasing the Eagle's replacement. 2001 MCI 102-ELS. Don't know why the profile pic won't show but, anyway.

The Eagle was just too overwhelming for me to tackle. I know electronics, computers, plumbing. electric, I can drive one 500 to 700 miles a day, and I can turn a wrench! But, the rot I found in the roof and frame of this Eagle, scared me.

I'm speaking to few die hard Eagle fans who want the rear end, torsion bars and such. Been advised to dismantle it and pile it on a flat bed trailer and take it to the junk heap.

For now, a tow truck is coming tomorrow to put it on the other side of my two big pine trees (out of my sight anyway) to make room for the 45 foot MCI masterpiece.

Hopefully, the poor eagle won't break in half in the process.

Anyone need some eagle wings?

Dan

Dan Keeton
Ashland, KY
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 05:08:33 PM »

LOL! No free lunch owning an eagle. Grin

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 05:13:23 PM »

Dan, are you are going to keep your bus as a entertainer or redo as a motorhome ,the price of buses in today market you did the right thing

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
DanKeeton

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 05:40:27 PM »

Hey Luv

Carrying wife and 3 other guys in our little group. Making the back lounge her private palace. Then shower and closet cross from 3 bunks. Closet cross from another closet. Office on one side cross from EXERCISE BIKE? (Still trying to figure out how to put the exercise bike behind the steering wheel)! Then toilet room cross from galley and front lounge in ...well...front.  Cheesy

Then ENJOY!

Dan Keeton
Ashland, KY
Ed Brenner

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 06:06:37 PM »

Dan, I sent you a Pm looking for some parts if you are going to scrap the Eagle.
Thanks ED

Ed Brenner
77 Eagle 05  Murrells inlet, SC
 " While We're At It " A Busnut's most costly Phrase !!
gus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 10:51:45 AM »

Has anyone ever used stainless steel replacement tubing on these buses?

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: