Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 21, 2014, 04:13:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jet A  (Read 2935 times)
Rob

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2006, 08:22:46 PM »

Has anyone on the board run Jet A with there DD 8V71? The airport sells it for $3.18 a gallon. We use it on jets of course but I also know it works great on some diesel's. I should add Diesel is $3.55 a gallon where I am at and climbing.
                                                                Rob
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 08:48:23 PM by Rob » Logged
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 09:01:22 PM »

Many years ago we ran Jet A in 6V/53 powerd tow tractors with no problem.
also in our diesel powerd generator sets that were 6/71 powerd.
Never had a problem these units ran for many years on Jet A.
jlv
lesrMC9

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 09:06:21 PM »

refresh my memerory; jet A is well filtered carosene is it not?Huh??
if so the cetene rating is very low compared to diesel, it would be good fuel in very cold weather thow.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 09:51:17 PM »

Also, while I am not an expert, I would expect it wouldn't be legal either since no road tax is applied to it.  If someone reported you (i.e. disgruntled airport employee, ex wife/girlfriend/friend, etc.) the fines couuld far outweigh any savings.  Kind of like getting caught running off road fuel (i.e. farm fuel) in an over the road vehicle.

Disclaimer:  This assumes that you are considering running it in an over the road bus.  If the 8V71 is powering something else, then disregard the above.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 10:24:04 PM »

also in our diesel powerd generator sets that were 6/71 powerd

When I worked for Eastern Airlines, we did the same. I have heard some say that it is too clean and will not lubricate the pump and injectors like diesel will; I do not know anything about that though. Our equipment ran fine and we never had a problem with it, even in the middle of winter. Anything we used that ran on diesel got the Jet A.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 10:31:19 PM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 11:35:15 PM »

We used that fuel on the North Slope in the late 70s in everything that ran on diesel, including the heaters and furnaces. It was running about -40 degrees when I saw it last, and it was doing fine.

If you do some checking on pour points of different fuels, I think you'll see that kerosene and jet fuel are two different animals. Jet fuel has to be good down to -75 degrees. I seem to remember that kerosene was good only down to around zero.

The only problem that surfaced was that it was kind of easy to make splash; when it was being pumped into some rigs, the oiler had some hit his arms. He got a pretty good case of frostbight from it, but he did heal up OK.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey PD4104-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 11:47:47 PM »

It'll run Ok, but with less fuel mileage since Jet A has a lower BTU rate than #2 Diesel.  Hence, you'll be heavier on the throttle.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
bigtim44

Red buses go faster!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 07:59:34 AM »

Jet A will work fine ,especially if you have access to de-fuelled jet-A which can normally be had for free.
If I'm running jet-A through an engine with a diesel injection pump I put in a lubricity additive as a safeguard.

Basalt Colorado
1986 TMC 102A3,6V92,Auto 740,conversion in progress.
http://redbusconversion.blogspot.com/
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 12:37:53 PM »

What is de-fueled Jet A and and how do you get it?

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 03:01:55 PM »

Desiel fuel has more oil content than Jet-A, we add a qt. of oil to fifty gal. for vehicle use on the ramp

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 05:45:59 PM »

Just out of pure curiousity,(sp?) what's the difference between Jet-A and JP4?  We used JP4 in turbo aircraft engines in the Vietnam era.
Dennis
Hi Yo Silver!

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
gus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 05:58:31 PM »

I think JP-4 and Jet A are about the same, JP-4 may have a bit of gasoline in it but not sure of that.

I know from my Navy days that JP-5 had a much higher percentage of gasoline in it than JP-4 and was too dangerous for civill use.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Savantster

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 06:14:52 PM »

So defueled Jet A (fuel pulled back out of the tanks, I presume) is "free" from some airports? Hmm.. I recon you'd have to make sure you filtered it pretty good though, since it was backed out of the plane and put into gawd only knows.

Wonder what the legal implications are.. if any. Wouldn't that depend on where you lived? Some places might be more lax than others. What are the emissions implications?
bigtim44

Red buses go faster!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 06:53:55 PM »

De-fueled Jet-A is as you correctly say pulled off an airplane,usually because the density altitude is too high and the jet is too heavy to take off .the plane is made lighter by pulling fuel off it.By regulation the fuel that is removed cannot be resold to refuel another aircraft.At some base operations (private side of the airport) this defuel Jet A builds up to the point that the airport has to pay a company to come and get it and take it away.If you know someone on the ground crew they will fill up a transfer tank for you.It's great for running all your off highway vehicles and generators that have separate fuel tanks  Grin

Basalt Colorado
1986 TMC 102A3,6V92,Auto 740,conversion in progress.
http://redbusconversion.blogspot.com/
Savantster

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 08:44:50 PM »

Back to the important question.. is it "illegal" (and if so, why) to run that in over the road vehicles? Or is it just a matter of the fuel not (possibly) lubricating enough in some applications?

There are a few airports around here, and if they have "free fuel", I'm all over that Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: