Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 12:15:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mc5 trouble spots  (Read 4238 times)
pipopak

I am the 99%

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 02:50:38 PM »

Check why the electrical panel has a whole row taped over. Fireworks??.

Linux, when Windoze just will not measure up.
pipopak

I am the 99%

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 08:56:01 PM »

I think there is something with the sag, not only the trim but also the bottom of the window drops. Please note that the other side pic (same camera, light, etc) seems to be arrow-straight. I would take a harder look (and bargain accordingly).

Linux, when Windoze just will not measure up.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 09:26:47 PM »

Marc;
 Next time you are there bring a string line with you and pull it from one end to the other and check the bottom also. Now after measuring each see if it is only the top line or both top and bottom. If only the  window line then possibly just the trim if both maybe rust weakening or sagging?

Dave

thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 07:10:29 AM »

Marc;
 Next time you are there bring a string line with you and pull it from one end to the other and check the bottom also. Now after measuring each see if it is only the top line or both top and bottom. If only the  window line then possibly just the trim if both maybe rust weakening or sagging?

Dave

Good idea.  It did look like at the middle area of the sag, the trim was a little loose, but this means nothing.  Could still be either situation.  I will do that.  Is this something you have seen before?  The last thing I would want to get into is a big unseen rusty mess.

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 07:19:18 AM »

The MC-5 is a monocoque frame.  If it has sagged or bowed out in the middle of the side, something catastrophic would have happened to cause that.  It should be really obvious that something has happened - the doors won't line up, the bay floors will be wrong, the passenger floor will show something, the roof line would show something.  There is no "frame" to sag, I guess is my point, the whole bus would have to sag and I can't quite imagine what could have caused that.  The whole side being pushed in could have been a truck hitting it - the side being pushed out - maybe some sumo wrestlers?   Wink

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 07:34:10 AM »

The MC-5 is a monocoque frame.  If it has sagged or bowed out in the middle of the side, something catastrophic would have happened to cause that.  It should be really obvious that something has happened - the doors won't line up, the bay floors will be wrong, the passenger floor will show something, the roof line would show something.  There is no "frame" to sag, I guess is my point, the whole bus would have to sag and I can't quite imagine what could have caused that.  The whole side being pushed in could have been a truck hitting it - the side being pushed out - maybe some sumo wrestlers?   Wink

Brian

LOL.  I get the picture.  So when they talk about rust, where are the problem areas?  Could there be rust in the ribs that would cause this sort of thing?  In person, it didn't really look bad at all.  But the more I looked at the pictures after the fact, the more obvious the distortion became.

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 08:07:59 AM »

Maybe just the paint line was off and makes it look bowed?

Dave

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 02:20:50 PM »

I wouldn't panic until you can get a string or laser on it.  It would be nice if you could get it moved out in the open.

Beat on the sides with your fist and listen carefully for rust flakes falling.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 06:06:31 PM »

Went back to have another look at the MC5.  Got to go inside, too.  After another look at the passenger side, I can now see that the sag is very exaggerated looking in the picture.  The apparent sag is more of a bulge.  I beat on it with  my fist and it is solid as a rock, no loose or rusty rivets at all. 

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/thejumpsuitman/100_8895.JPG

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/thejumpsuitman/100_8894.JPG

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/thejumpsuitman/100_8896.JPG

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/thejumpsuitman/100_8897.JPG

The interior is pretty dated, but workable.  Needs flooring and re-upholstery and a major deep clean.  A lot of royal blue. Has a rear lounge that converts into a queen.  It was getting dark, so I couldn't see well.  Had to use the flash and look at the pics on the camera just to see some areas.

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/thejumpsuitman/100_8863.JPG

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/thejumpsuitman/100_8867.JPG

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/thejumpsuitman/100_8868.JPG

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/thejumpsuitman/100_8869.JPG

Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 06:38:43 PM »

The stainless sure looks nice; not all dinged up; bumpers are good; glass looks good too. We have MC-5 #5401 (1965) with the 8V71 and 4 speed. Its a great coach. Ours was a Greyhound in Texas so its got lots of miles on it. The 35 footer is nice for getting around in some of the smaller campgrounds and state parks. It cruises real nice at 73 mph the way our governor is set up. Overall the coach looks nice. 

Don't kid yourself on these things though. There is enough rust in some of the photos that would tell me that working on the drive train and suspension is going to require patience and heat. Torsion arm bolts will probably be frozen/rusted. Same with air bag bolts. Areas above the engine compartment where the blowers and radiators could be structurally compromised. (Nothing a little welding won't fix!)  But its a real good sign if you don't hear anything falling when you pound on the stainless sidewalls.

Call me if you want to talk to an MC-5 owner!
Fred
612-801-4826

Fred Thomson
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 06:45:28 PM »

The stainless sure looks nice; not all dinged up; bumpers are good; glass looks good too. We have MC-5 #5401 (1965) with the 8V71 and 4 speed. Its a great coach. Ours was a Greyhound in Texas so its got lots of miles on it. The 35 footer is nice for getting around in some of the smaller campgrounds and state parks. It cruises real nice at 73 mph the way our governor is set up. Overall the coach looks nice. 

Don't kid yourself on these things though. There is enough rust in some of the photos that would tell me that working on the drive train and suspension is going to require patience and heat. Torsion arm bolts will probably be frozen/rusted. Same with air bag bolts. Areas above the engine compartment where the blowers and radiators could be structurally compromised. (Nothing a little welding won't fix!)  But its a real good sign if you don't hear anything falling when you pound on the stainless sidewalls.

Call me if you want to talk to an MC-5 owner!
Fred

612-801-4826

Thanks Fred, I just might take you up on that offer to call.

Marc

thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2010, 07:02:02 PM »

I have to laugh as the real story of how long this bus has been sitting is coming forth.  It has gone from 2 to 4 years after talking to 2 different people.  Probably means even more.  What kind of trouble does this spell?  

Positives...

12k diesel genset
engine generator
excellent body, stainless and glass
10,000 lb. receiver hitch
"formerly working?" intact coach a/c
air seat
nice workable interior

Known negatives...

Old tires
Sitting for years
Needs cosmetic interior work
Bad rear air bags
No house batteries
The unknown....

Price is down to $5,000, by the way.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:06:03 PM by thejumpsuitman » Logged

Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2010, 07:35:15 PM »

jumpsuitman.... I just noticed you are from NC too.. What part of the state are you from?Huh

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2010, 07:56:36 PM »

jumpsuitman.... I just noticed you are from NC too.. What part of the state are you from?Huh

Ah, just 25 minutes down the road in Matthews.

Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010, 08:00:26 AM »

Ah, just 25 minutes down the road in Matthews.

Ohhh ok... so we are almost neighbors...  Let me know if you would be interested in a seated coach because I know where a nice 78 MC-8 is..

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: