Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 09:00:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Truck Conversion  (Read 1088 times)
usbusin

'60 PD4104-4355(sold) Now Freightliner Conversion

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2010, 11:16:42 AM »

As you all know, TomC is building a truck conversion.  I converted my 4104 starting in 1985 and used her very happily through 1990 putting 150,000 miles on her, but decided in 1990 to go to a truck conversion.  I know some members on this board have gone the other direction; ie: truck conversion to bus conversion. 

I decided to use a new truck, speced-out how I wanted it for our purpose with the wheelbase set at the factory.

If anyone is interested you can learn about my truck conversion and the reasoning why we did one.  Here is the link to our blog:   http://www.ustruckin.blogspot.com/

GaryD

Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years Ustruckin' is our 2001 Freightliner truck conversion
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »

Well done it is lite and you can pull a huge load and tlr with the manuall trans too.

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
dougyes

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 06:04:20 PM »

Looks great! Good mpg too! How much did the empty truck cost and how long is it?
usbusin

'60 PD4104-4355(sold) Now Freightliner Conversion

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 07:34:49 PM »

Dougyes,
There is no such thing as a "standard"  cost for a truck.  Each one is built to the customers specification.  The customer specifies everything and I mean everything!  I will say that I have considerably less money in this all brand-new unit than most anything all new on the market and it is built just as we want it. 

If you are interested in something like this I'd suggest you see your friendly heavy duty truck dealer (TomC) and get a truck/chassis price and then what it would cost you to build the motorhome box and all the appointments.

The overall length is 36'-9" and the motorhome box is 27' inside.  It is perfect for the two of us while we are on the road six months of the year and will carry all our instruments including an upright bass, two guitars, a dobro, a mandolin and our sound reinforcement system!  And, the 4000# car with the kayak on the top.

Joe Camper,
Yes, we have no problems towing and the nice thing is the engine is rated to 10,000ft, so going over I-70 through Colorado at 11,660ft is almost like at sea-level.  No smoke and almost the same power.  We love the six speed manual all-syncromesh transmission.  For our weight (25,000# + 4000# toad) it works our real nice. 

GaryD

Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years Ustruckin' is our 2001 Freightliner truck conversion
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: