Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 03:12:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need help with DD gasket part number  (Read 771 times)
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2010, 03:16:02 PM »

I have a 1977 MCI 8 with 8v71NA and Alison 740.  On the rear top of the engine there is a tube that comes out of the head on both sides of the valley and goes into the top of the engine block next to the blower drive shaft coupler.  the tube looks to be about 3/4" to 1" in diameter and is metal.  The tube has a flange on one end with two bolts that attach to the head, and the other end of the tube appears to just slip into a piece (using an o-ring I would assume) that is bolted onto the top of the engine block.  there are 2 tubes, one going to each head.  I think Clifford said they were breather tubes.  They are NOT the big breather tubes attached to the valve covers, they are attached to the heads and block.  I am looking for the part number for the o-rings (x2) and the flanges (also x2).  I assume the flanged ends are the same as the front of the head where the rack rods run through from the governor to the racks.  They are located in the same location on the back of the heads.  Anyone tell me these part numbers?  I looked in my parts manual but they are not listed.  One side is leaking, and the other side I can't really see so I might as well just r&r both sides while I'm in there.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 07:29:09 PM »

Probably isn't a part # for an o ring. Just take it to Napa or a truck/equipment parts place and have them match it.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 08:39:29 PM »

Probably isn't a part # for an o ring. Just take it to Napa or a truck/equipment parts place and have them match it.

I thought it might just be a standard o-ring but wasn't sure so thought I would ask.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 02:50:07 PM »

That is the crank case breather. You have the 92 style. As good as it gets. If you have any problem getting what you need let me know I can get it.

Don
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 03:11:37 PM »

Yea Don and he has the oil pump driven off the crank inside the oil pan he has a good engine just a few leaks,N-65 injectors and rpm at 2500
I gave him a set of 900  rpm check valves to install and have a set of the newer fuel rods so he can toss the emergency shut down it is not in good shape  

good luck
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 05:53:19 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 05:15:22 PM »

Yeah Don, if you have the o-rings and gaskets, or have the correct part numbers so I can order them that would be good.  I'm kinda in the middle of no-where and really would rather not just tear into something "hoping" I could find an o-ring to fit, and "hoping" the gaskets stay together enough that I can just gunk them.

Clifford, did you find a set of the newer rails?  I think that would be a good improvement, and I suppose it couldn't hurt to run the rack.

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: