Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 05:17:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looking for tank monitors  (Read 1747 times)
mikeH8H-649

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2006, 06:14:53 PM »

I am running the wiring in the bus and need to find a decent tank monitor system,I want to use the stick on tape or foil sensors and wanted to get some input on what works and what does not,any inputs appericated thanks Mike
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 06:24:41 PM »

Mike,

I can't for a moment figure why you'd use the stick on tape method, when a simple, accurate, low cost and extremely reliable system such as this exists.  http://www.catconproducts.com/
Granted, you will need to install a 3/4 NPT female either in your tank, or the line running out of it.
All the wiring is done with telephone cords and plug in to the sensor and gauge.
Steve at Catcon can even calibrate the gauge for you at the factory, so it's all Plug & Play.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
belfert

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 06:41:36 PM »

Catcon has some great sensors, but I see two problems.

The biggest one is the 3/4" NPT port.  Unless you built your own tanks and thought about this before construction, it will be near impossible to add a 3/4" port.

The second issue is the ugly monitor panel they use.  It looks something that was installed in 1970s motorhomes and are still instealled in low end travel trailers.  Vena, Snake River, and others have modern looking monitor panels with nice LCD displays and they can also be programmed for number of tanks and such.

I would like to see a roundup of available tank monitors as I need to order mine ASAP like tomorrow or Tuesday.  I was going to do Smake River for sure because they have a really accurate fuel gauge, but Centroid products has a fuel sender that works with existing gauges.  I am still leaning towards Snake River.

Brian Elfert
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 08:36:51 PM »

Granted, you will need to install a 3/4 NPT female either in your tank, or the line running out of it.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
ceieio
MCI 7 DD 8V71, HT740

1973 MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 09:34:51 PM »

http://users.cwnet.com/~thall/cccproducts.htm

Give this a look... might work for you.

Craig - MC7 Oregon

Craig MC7 - Oregon USA
belfert

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 06:36:42 AM »

http://http://users.cwnet.com/~thall/cccproducts.htm

Give this a look... might work for you.

This is the Snake River Electronics unit CCC is selling.  You could probably get it a little cheaper by contacting Snake River directly.  www.snake-river.org

Snake River quoted me lower prices than their price list when I called.

Brian Elfert
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 07:29:55 AM »

I have the most reliable sensors you can have-just my eyes.  I built my water tank under my rear raised bed (because of the wheel wells on a transit) and at the foot of the bed cut four staggered 3/4" wide slits so I can see the tank.  I have a halogen puck light above the tank to illuminate it and can easily see the level.  On my gray tank, when it is dark, I use a flashlight to see its' level (it doesn't fill in one day), and I know that after a week with two on board it is time to dump the black tank-or it tells me it is full by the toilet "burping" when you flush it.   I do have a toilet type sensor on my propane that reads out with a simple fuel gauge inside the bus, along with my Diesel fuel gauge I installed.  But-if you must make things more complicated-you'll do it your way.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
johndawson

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 08:33:32 AM »

I am just thinking about doing a conversion so I am checking out all parts.  I just went through and checked out many units, the Snake River and New Providence and Vena.  After going over pricing and features with a call to each company the New Providence unit had a lot of bang for the buck.  The Snake River is similair to the New Providence but the New Providence had a back lite, terminal strip on the back and would read many sensors besides there own.  Internal or external sensors.  The main feature was that I programed the unit and could change the alarms when I wanted to.
Just my thoughts on this subject.
www.ferriellosales.com is the web site for the company that handles it.

John
belfert

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 09:41:06 AM »

www.ferriellosales.com is the web site for the company that handles it.

I'm not going to buy anything from the *** who spammed me with info on his tank monitor.  He mentioned the MAK board specifically.  I'm not sure if he spammed just me or everyone on here.

Brian Elfert

Brian, I removed the foul word.
Nick-
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 06:15:55 PM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 09:49:17 AM »

They are a little pricey, but Garnet Technologies in texas makes a great stick on the outside of the tank monitor.  It comes in a number of flavors, but expect to spend a bunch.  It wokrs very well.  After I installed it, I had one issue, and we could not determine if it was my installaion or a product fault.  Once we got that far, they just sent me new stuff to fix ti with, so I am very pleased with their customer support.  Very accomodating, vary fast.

The units themselves are nice looking, really nice and easy to use, and the system is also very sensitive and very accurate.  I can tell almost to the gallon what is in my tanks.  Makes it easy to tell how well I did on conservation with my shower, or cleaning up after lunch, or if  those other people need some education.

http://www.rvgauge.com/

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
dennisferriello

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 02:04:09 PM »

Brian:

I am sorry that I sent you an email.  I saw you were interested in a monitor and your email was posted to people who are on this site.  Instead of posting on the site which I thought I shouldn't I sent an email stating it was not spam but just a one time mailing explaining our product.
I can see you thought my mail was spam and I do apologize for sending it.  I did send to 3 people on this site if I recall.

Dennis Ferriello
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 09:46:52 PM by dennisferriello » Logged
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 04:36:32 PM »

I have the aluminum tape type sensors, they are sorta OK, but not $200 worth of OK not even $100 worth. !! If  I had to do it again a place to view the tank and a light. ( I have to use a flashlight to get an accurate reading). Expensive and Hi Tech is not always the "Best" way to go.
 Another thing to consider is that as time passes you will become intune with your systems, you will know when it is time to check things ie, many buses do not have fuel gauges !!

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
mikeH8H-649

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 06:16:30 PM »

Thanks for all of the replies,I will be making phone calls on monday,today we had alot of flooding here and found a leak in the bus which I will be taking care of this weekend, Thanks Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: