Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 11:07:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maxi brakes failure  (Read 4367 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 07:49:02 AM »

Some Mack Truck dealers still have parts and the maxis they were used on the B model Mack and are not that dangerous to repair,they have their clamping device built in

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 08:01:59 AM »

I have been watching this post as I have looked at mine and found I have Mini Max cans . I am thinking I am going to change them out to a newer style. Mine are mounted on the engine side of the drive axle so I think I have room for the 30/30 . Like Brian I went on line and could not fined anything related to Maxi cans of mini Max cans .

Eagles are no problem, plenty of room far any type of brake can.  The 4106 does not have that luxury unless you make some significant modifications to the brake can mounting arrangement.  That would take some serious welding and fabrication skills, and most welders would be afraid of liability issues.

That leaves the Maxi or DD3's, both expensive and hard to find options compared to spring brakes.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 08:21:30 AM »

Andy, if your cans are on the backside of the housing the one on the drivers side has to be rotated to clear the transmission mounted on the front side it is not a problem.
Eagles have used the spring brakes since the 80's the last 05 had spring brakes

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 06:03:05 AM »

The word "maxi" was a brand name that drifted into being used generically in reference to the parking brake system or components, depending on whether the speaker is a driver or mechanic.

The brand is long, long gone, the word lives on.

The collective busnut wisdom has been suggesting Mini-Max chambers have been pretty much unobtainable for as long as I've been on the boards. No one could find them in 2000 either.

I fear that the DD3 will drift into obscurity at a faster rate than we might expect. No business today can afford to stock parts that don't move. Shelf space simply costs too much, margins are too small, and new old stock rubber parts deteriorate too.

Grab and distribute to the busnut community all the DD3 you can find.

happy coaching!
buswarrior 

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
gus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 11:08:05 AM »

This is all news to me, I thought "Maxi" is just a brand name for one type of spring brake and has become generic like "Scotch tape"??

As Joe says, the new can is so cheap it makes no sense to try a dangerous repair that might still leak or have another worn out part fail later.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 11:17:51 AM »

I was guilty of thinking that maxi was a generic name for spring brakes.  It's a rare day that I don't learn something here.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 12:17:09 PM »

This is all news to me, I thought "Maxi" is just a brand name for one type of spring brake and has become generic like "Scotch tape"??

As Joe says, the new can is so cheap it makes no sense to try a dangerous repair that might still leak or have another worn out part fail later.

When I was looking for spring brakes for my n'04 it was hard to find them with the necessary front end on them.  Not only is the push rod longer than most, but there is a built up area on the front of the can to clear the mounting bracket layout (stock bracket)  I looked around for cans like these, found some at +$100 each, without the spring brake. part.  So I just used my old can with a new diaphragm and attached some decent looking spring brakes that were available.  Come to think of it I guess I jsut changed the service brake dia., not the spring part, as the new spring brakes did not need messing with.

gus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 02:12:39 PM »

I'm still not clear here, can spring brakes be mounted on a 4106 or 4107 or are they stuck with DD3s?

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 06:52:20 PM »

Gus, ours works fine, but it required modifying the mounts and adding the parking circuit. Ours did not have DD3s from the factory.

I don't know how much modification might be required for parking circuit from DD3s.

Take care.

Tom Caffrey

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: