Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 09:30:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Using an XM Delphi SkyFi 2?  (Read 938 times)
NJT5047

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2006, 06:17:06 PM »

Now that the TV satellite thingy is worked out....looks like XM Radio would be a nice addition to my life...but being of a cheap nature, swapping the XM receiver from vehicle to vehicle would seem a money saving good idea.   At least it would if the unit works OK.  Bus, van and Jeep have a CD slots only in their respective radios, and I notice that cassette adaptors (archaic technology) are part of the package...also sez that the unit will transmit an FM signal that "any" FM radio will receive.   Sounds good to me.   Don't want to waste a $100 bucks plus for something that really doesn't work.   Why the cassette adaptors?  Does the FM transmitter system work without interference?  Anyone using one of the SkyFi 1 or 2 and satisfied with it?  Or any better ideas?
All of my radios are XM ready, but to utilize that feature, a rather permenant converter box  is required...and an additional monthly fee for each unit is charged.   A moveable unit would be preferred.   I don't really care which service I use...XM or Sirius...?
Signed up for an XM free trail on the computer...works for me.   Both seem to have similar offerings.
Any input would be welcome?   
Thanks, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 06:52:10 PM »

Hi Jr,  Not Ski Fi But,

I baught my wife a XM To Go portable hand held unit last year and it has a fm transmitter built into it.

When it is in the house, we can tune in any stereo in the house and listen to our favorite XM channels from

that little unit. It's pretty cool! It also came with all kinds of attachments like, car mounts, 2 different antenna's,

and head sets. We are kinda addicted to XM. In the bus, the house, the Yukon, the office, ect.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 04:52:41 AM »

JR, we used to take the XM radio rig with us when traveling in the car (we were gone one time for 18 days) and really enjoyed it.
Initially I used the cassete adapter but once I learned about the FM adapter I was hooked.

It's a small adapter which plugs into the cigarette lighter and powers up the tuner and allows you to pick an FM frequency that isn't being used in your area.  Since something broke in the tuner and I don't want to spend any more money on it I'll be happy to give you the FM adapter for your rig if you like....and I can find it. Cheesy

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Beatenbo

1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 09:25:09 AM »

Bob, My son in law got an XM radio last Chrishmas. He doesn't know beans about mechanics or electronics. I put a car kit, cradle lighter plug, and magnetic antenna on all 3 of his vehichles. He just pops the unit in which car he drives and works fine. As for the FM pickup it offers several freq. You don't have to use the old cassette adapter. If you have mutiple recievers you have to pay a monthly fee for each one. I thought about XM for the bus. Directv now broacast the XM stations and I have an in motion satelite and I would be paying twice to have the radio. Be ok to put in truck, but don't spend enough time in truck to bother. XM or Sirrius?? I don't like pervert Howerd Stern and Sirrus paid him way too many millions for his trash. I'd hate to know 10 cent of my money went to pay him! Just my opinion!! Enjoy your satelite radio which ever. Charlie B.
Beatenbo

1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 09:27:28 AM »

Excuse me Bob I ment to direct this to JR Roll Eyes
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 10:37:02 AM »

Thanks for the info!  SkyFi 2s are all over ebay for cheap.  So I bought one.  $83 bucks shipped, states that it is new (as opposed to reman), and has all the same gizmos offered by Best Buy for $119.00.
There's supposed to be a $30 dollar rebate with it which, if so, results in a $53 purchase price.  I'll take a chance on that.
I see that they make an antenna modulator that has superior sound to the wireless connection.  I'll see once it's all here.
I'll bring the XM thingy down to Timmonsville if anyone is interested....and should have a pretty good idea of how it works by then.
I listen to conservative talk radio most of the time....lots of music to choose from too.   I don't find  Howard Stern especially interesting.  I'm not into mindless babble...unless the "Larry the Cable Guy" is doing the prattling!  Cheesy    Reckon I'm a Redneck!  Git'er done!
Bob, I don't know what sort of XM thing you have ( I don't know Bo about XM), but bring'er down to Timmonsville! 
Cheers, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 01:31:36 PM »

JR, you got it Bubba!

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: