Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 02:22:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GPS  (Read 927 times)
rwc
No longer will be Now AM

Ignore
GPS
« on: September 01, 2006, 05:43:10 AM »

If anyone is considering using their laptop for Map, Navigation and GPS they should avoid MS Streets and Trips with GPS 2006. The map portion is good The GPS is off by 50-60 miles. It does track well going down the highway. It will not reroute you if you get off route. It will only tell you that you are off route. It also will not take you door to door but only to the nearest intersection and sometimes not that. It leaves me about 1 mile from my daughters house(I found it anyway Daughter was suprised).
   I tried to get support to help me with this problem but so far nothing. I even got chastised for complaining more than once.(I guess your are supposed to tell them the problem shut up and let them ignore you)
   The Laptop program that is working very well is Delorme Earthmate GPS LT-20. This program does it all and is as accurate as my Garmin GPS 12. It reroutes almost instantly if you fail to make a turn. It will route you back if you pass the place you were going. It will take multiple stops and direct you in sequence to each of these stops.
    I have no connection to Delorme or MS and do not sell either product. Just posting my results for those might want to use a laptop for travel directions. I am considering getting a Roadmate 6000T.
  RWC

eglluvr

The Quest is But The Beginning...

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 05:51:33 AM »

we also use the delorme product with the USB gps antenna.  Pound for pound it makes more sense for us to have a multiple use device in the laptop, and we feel that the auto route feature has saved us a couple of times (Grass fire across I5 in OR, 2004) and a building fire across the road enroute Grand Canyon where we were routed through the neighborhood, while traffic sat for 2 hours.  Grin we fueled on the other side and rolled on!     BTW has anyone found any "Easter Eggs" on the Maps?   seems some of the cartographers will add a detail here and there, but usually in remote areas.   

Jim
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 10:08:53 AM »

I used Copilot Truck.  The product is good, although not wonderful and their customer support is the worst I've ever had to deal wtih.  They are also so afraid  that someone will makd an illegal copy, that the install process is the longest and most draconian I have ever seen.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
BJW

Always Follow Your Dream!!!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 10:28:54 AM »

I use Delorme's product as well.  I tried several other brands, but for the price and how well it works, you can't really go wrong.  I have an 8 in Fujitsu Tablet PC that is intigrated into the dash that the program runs on.  It works really well for this application, as I just use my finger or stylus to manipulate through the program and use a wireless keyboard to input addresses.  It's size of screen makes it very easy to view and yet is small enough that it doesn't consume the entire dash.  The total size of the tablet is about 6 x 10 x and inch or so deep, and the total cost of the unit (used, from lease return place on ebay) and the GPS program and antenna was under $500.  I also use it in conjuction with a external hard drive to store bus data, pictures, and music files that it feeds to audio system while I am under way.  All around I have found this combo to be a great addition to my bus and I also can take it from bus to car when needed.  I have traveled probably more miles using it in my car to get aquainted with it than I have in Gus.  With the GPS radar to find food, gas or wahtever, I don't know what else I could expect.   

Just my two cents worth.  Happy holiday!

BJW
Gus the Bus
Federal Way, WA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: