Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 10:24:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keep It Quiet!  (Read 1372 times)
TomC

Ignore
« on: September 01, 2006, 07:53:45 AM »

Just a personal comment on noise.  I like to be considerate of my neighbors.  As consiquence, I've taken many steps to keep my generator as quiet as possible on the outside.  At bus get togethers, I've heard to many times buses with noisy generators-possibly from the older bus owners that simply can't hear the noise.  I was at the Caverns a couple of years ago, and parked nearby (about 100ft away) was a bus with an older gentleman with a very noisy, non enclosed generator.  I remember this vividly because my wife and I were in the back on the bed watching TV with the A/C and generator running and I could here his generator running through my closed windows!  Also, I've kept the stock muffler on the big engine since it does a great job of cancelling most all exhaust noise.

My point is-there is no such thing as a too quiet bus on the outside and the inside.  When we stop caring about this and pointing the finger at some of the others in our population that are riding motorcycles with open exhausts, car stereos with 1000's of watts of metal pounding bass (can't count how many times I thought something was wrong with my vehicle when it was only a boom box), inconsiderate other RV'rs with loud radios, we then become no better than some of these pions.  Let's keep ourselves above this type of riff-raff and make an example of why we choose to do these humungus projects, rather than getting a bad reputation in the RV community.  Good Luck, and I'm proud to be an owner of a bus conversion- TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 08:30:54 AM »

Tom

Excellent point -- Also keeping our conversions looking good makes a HUGE difference in the acceptance of a conversion.

Don't want to show up looking like you just missed the Jerry Garcia caravan.

Clean Neat and Quiet all good things in a close neighborhood like a campground

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 08:57:44 AM »

I definitely agree.

Years ago, I used to work with a guy who wasn't the proverbial sharpest knife in the drawer.  He was into Nascar and would pull his travel trailer to events. Naturally his trailer wasn't equipped with an onboard generator, so he went out and bought a cheap contractor grade noisemaker.   One afternoon at a race he fires the generator up and goes back inside the camper with the thing blasting away.  Within an hour there is a knock at his door, from the owner of a high end conversion parked next to him. The guy at the door says "Look, here's the deal:   I'll run a cord over here to your camper, and you can tap into my diesel generator for the weekend, if you shut that damn thing off."   That's what they did, and the two guys got along great for the rest of the weekend.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
Happycampersrus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 09:40:35 AM »

Well Tom ,

I didn't think you would point you finger at me, but I have been wrong about people before Grin

Oh well, nothing like a friendly Bulletin Board system. Grin
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 11:53:10 AM »

Happycampersrus- not pointing fingers at anyone-just making an observed point.  In my opinion-even the Onan "quiet" gens are too loud.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Happycampersrus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 12:12:10 PM »

Tom,

I got that. That is why I put the  Grin's LOL. Just pulling your chain.

I 100% agree that if people would take a little time to think about their neighbor life could be so much easier and pieceful. I have worked on my Onan because I can't stand to hear the noise either. I have alot of time and money tied up in sound proofing. We go to alot of race events and boondock quite a bit, so I try to be as best as I can.

Dale
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 04:46:44 PM »

Good post Tom!!

Your right to make noise STOPS AT MY EARS!

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 06:36:14 PM »

ummmm....

I got rid of that orange Honda powered off brand contractor model..... 8800 watts, and a fuel pump on the engine too!

If there was a prize for noisey at Arcadia in '04 and '05.....

Now, a lovely Yamaha 3000 watt inverter jobbie yanks out of a compartment and we may set tea out on its top as it runs....

Yes, quiet is KING!!!!

Now, as for the peeling paint.....

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: