Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 14, 2017, 01:05:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AD-9 orientation  (Read 1613 times)
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2010, 05:09:11 AM »

I know that the AD-9 should be oriented with the valve down.
http://www.bendixvrc.com/itemDisplay.asp?documentID=5091

However what would happen if one was mounted with the valve up and the unit tilted about 20 degrees from vertical?

Would it still work?
Would work but not as good?
Be rendered ineffective?

Why would it be a good idea to mount it that way?  Ease of maintenance?

I saw one like that and curiosity killed the kitty Undecided 

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 05:24:55 AM »

discharge valve down---water discharge --gravity----freezing

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 08:29:40 AM »

I would think down is best, that is how ours is installed. If it's up side down, you have to contend with dirt and debris messing up the valve. And of course water and such in the filter would not get pushed/blown out so easy, I think anyway! Wink

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 11:58:57 AM »

won't work, will fill with moisture, game over.

You can't get water to run uphill.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 09:31:58 PM »

I am not disagreeing, I was hoping more for someone who may have had theirs that way or knew someone with the upside down mount and what issues they had.
My dilemma is should I say something and risk foot in mouth or let it ride and assume others have done their research? Undecided

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 06:46:38 AM »

Only question that is DUMB is the one not ask!         Because I assume that gravity is the determining factor and that the way all the ones I have seen.Over 40 yrs as a heavy equipment operator. All are mounted down so water can escape..that prompted my answer. Bob
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 07:41:39 AM by robertglines1 » Logged

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 07:14:17 AM »

Here is the thing.  The AD9 in normal orientation and operation brings air in the bottom of a dessicant filter chamber, where the air is cooled causing water and contaminants to condense out and get stored, under gravity, in a sump compartment.  The air is then pushed up through an oil separator and into the desiccant element where it is further dried, and then the air is delivered onwards to the rest of the system.  During the purge cycle, the air flow is reversed, and air is purged  backwards through the desiccant and oil separator back into the chamber and into the sump and out the purge valve.  This is not under gravity, but under the pressure of the air stored inside the filter housing.

So the main operation of the AD9 (drying air as the compressor is running) will be compromised but will work - the cooling/condensing in the filter base won't work, the oil separator and desiccant filter will work to some degree.  The water will tend to pool at the "top" of the filter rather than in the sump next to the purge valve.  When the purge cycle operates, the reverse flow of air will push all of the pooled water back into the dessicant and oil separator and out the purge valve, but you know it won't get anything like all the water out, nor will the desiccant or oil separator be cleaned, dried and ready for the next compression cycle.

So bottom line -  will an AD9 work upside  down - answer is yes but really really poorly.  It will still dry the air somewhat, it will still make noise when it purges, you will probably see some moisture ejected, it will probably put the useful life of the cartridge at 10% of normal or less, and it will probably be better than no air dryer but not by much.

Should you tell the person?  I would, but I don't care what other people think of me all that much.  I think you have to put this down to if you like the person, would you feel bad if something happened, and so on.  You could just say "you know what, I noticed that your air dryer is installed upside down.  I did some work on one once, and you know what - they depend on gravity to actually work right.  If it's upside down, it won't work as well as it could.  Maybe that's something you might feel like looking in to."  that gets you off the hook and puts the onus on him.

Brian

« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 07:16:29 AM by bevans6 » Logged

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 07:56:56 AM »

Good explanation Brian! I find my self taking certain things for granted like this subject because I have been around them all my life and have excepted them as fact.. No dis respect to any post..Like I said the only dumb question is one not ask! you wouldn't believe how scared I am of computer stuff.I'm not smart enough to know what Question to ask..if a hammer can't fix it it's broke     Bob

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: