Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 05:34:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Basic water/waste water systems  (Read 5278 times)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« on: November 22, 2010, 08:03:26 PM »

For new to bus conversions and ones like me that need a reawakening.Basic house water/waste water system.. I usually separate my waste tanks. one gray water  and one for toilet.when dumping I dump toilet water. first then gray to flush out the dump hose. in my case I use 100 gallon fresh water and 100 gallon gray and 50 gal toilet water tanks..it is easy if you can locate toilet over black water tank ..must vent system...I locate all fresh water lines in a way they gravity drain for winter months.. others please chime in with your selection for basic plumbing system....Bob
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 08:18:41 PM by robertglines1 » Logged

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
cody

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 09:21:15 PM »

I have the 80 gallon grey tank and the 80 gallon black tank sitting side by side, the drain Y's to reach each tank with a slide shut off on the grey, another one on the black and the last one is the final outfeed to the drain hose, to empty the tanks I put the hose on and open the main valve and the valve on the black water tank and let it drain, then I shut the main valve leaving the black water tank open and then open the grey tank valve, the grey water floods the black tank and swirls around in there, then I reopen the main valve and let it all drain, that has worked well for flushing the black tank while I'm draining them both.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 04:52:17 AM »

One of the best tips I got from the week I spent at the Bus Conversion Class ('99) from Tom Winterhaulter (sp?) was to plumb the gray water tank so that it flows through the black water tank.  On my setup, the tanks run across the bus.  The main dump is on the driver side on the black tank.  I open that valve when I dump and let the black tank empty and leave the valve open.  Then I go around to the passenger side and open a slide valve so that the gray water flows from the passenger side of the black tank to the dump valve on the driver side.  Really helps to "clean" out the black tank. 

I can also use the connecting valve to dump some of the gray water to the black tank when it gets close to full.  Helps me manage the two tanks.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 05:19:46 AM »

I use a combined grey/black tank, 100 gallons, and 100 gallons of fresh.  Although I've never filled either past half way so far.  I find the single waste tank to be working really very well for me, I can't think of any reason to have two waste tanks.  I like the idea of keeping the waste as liquid as possible, and it all really flows out very well when dumping.

What are the pro's and con's of having a single waste tank?  I didn't make the choice, my bus came to me that way and I never thought of changing it.

Brian
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 05:45:58 AM by bevans6 » Logged

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 05:36:15 AM »

Good responses..and I did learn something new to me . about how to plumb two tanks together and flush thru black tank. But what about Brian's set up..why not just one? would be allot easier: and maybe better use of space.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 05:43:45 AM »

Bob, the 1 tank vs 2 tanks system is like ice cream flavors some like it some don't me I go for the 2 tank not saying it is better just the system I prefer 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 05:56:14 AM »

I have done both one combined and two separate. couldn't tell significant difference.  a code thing?  Maybe less chance of floaters in shower if you let it get to full..(combined tank). Don't let it get to full would be that answer..

cody

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 06:09:13 AM »

With 2 tanks you can put in a small pisser valve to bleed off excess water at times, especially if you have a washer/dryer plumbed in as well, the grey tank can fill quite fast at times.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 06:24:44 AM »

I like the thing about the flavors Grin Grin Coffee on the keyboard first thing in the a.m. LOL! always a good start Wink Grin

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 06:44:53 AM »

I have one tank and yes wet is best. The only thing two tanks do that I cant is gray water is allowed to be dumped on the ground. Where your black tank may last a week your grey fills fast with showers and dishes. It would really depend on how one uses their bus. I have thought about adding a separate tank for the shower.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 06:49:36 AM »

If you have grandkids believe me 2 tanks is the way to go those stinkers can find away to fill the tank trust me on this one lol 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 06:53:04 AM »

With the way we use our tanks, I don't have any need to rinse out the black tank. The little bit left behind contains the bacteria needed to start digesting the next load - SO, I don't need to add any chemicals or 'air fresheners' to combat foul odors.

We also conserve water to an extreme that most don't - with a family of 4 & a 30 gallon tank for black & 30 for grey, you learn to conserve quickly! (Mom & Dad took the kids to Airstream rallies where it costs to have your tanks dumped - so the kids learned water conservation at an early age!  Cool ) We can go a week easy enough on a 30 gal black. hard to get more than 4 days with the grey with 2 girls with long hair to wash every day . . .

So, it all depends on your use & style. I prefer to not drop grey water on the ground, so I plan my stops accordingly. Also, since I dump both when either one gets full . . . a single large tank would extend my dumping intervals.
(In addition, the concentrated nature of the contents of RV black tanks is difficult for most septic systems to handle, so the more dilution, the better.)

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 06:57:01 AM by kyle4501 » Logged

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
cody

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 06:58:16 AM »

In dumping the grey tanks on the ground you have to be careful on that, some areas don't allow it while other areas welcome it.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 07:14:58 AM »

In dumping the grey tanks on the ground you have to be careful on that, some areas don't allow it while other areas welcome it.

That is so true. I have had the misfortune of camping down stream of someone dripping their grey water on the ground . . . made a soggy mess in my campsite & once it was soggy, there was no undoing the mess. It also stunk!

So, I prefer to be more considerate when camping. . . .  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 07:56:10 AM »

I have a 130gal fresh water tank mounted under my bed along with 2-10gal electric water heaters, 2-water pumps, the cold and hot valve manifold.  I use a 45gal black and 85gal gray.  The gray tank runs across the bus offset to the left with just enough room on the right side for 2-8D deep cycle batteries.  The normal dump is on the left, and since the black tank is a designed black tank-meaning that it is sloped down to the 3" opening, it empties completely.  I just back flush with the dump hose a couple of times, then dump the gray.  On the gray tank, I have the normal left side slide valve, but on the right I also have an open dump so I can empty the gray into a drain or curb side. 

On my truck I'm increasing my tanks to 210gal fresh, 110gal gray and 53gal black.  With my present setup, I can go 5-7 days.  I want to be able to go an easy 7-10 days without refilling or dumping.  I know I know some of you can go 3 weeks on that amount-I just don't choose to.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: