Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 31, 2014, 04:48:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Basic water/waste water systems  (Read 5093 times)
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »

Seeing how this is about basic water/waste water systems I found this link at the other board, and I thought it was a great post. Here is the link:  http://steampunkworkshop.com/diy-rv-macerator-pump

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 05:43:58 PM »

You could buy all the parts for that NEW and have less invested than any of the pumps on the market and the replacement parts more readily available.

This is what I use http://www.sewersolution.com/ and I have no way to use a 3 inch hose on a regular basis

It is always much easier to set up when I get there than most people who use the big hoses

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 06:11:14 PM »

Melbo, I did not see how much extra water that would use to empty a 100 gallon tank. I would guess though that it would be frowned upon if you were using that in an area that has water use restrictions. I think that i will stay with my 3" hose, it is simple, quick, and i have never had a problem with it.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 06:15:37 PM »

I doesn't use any water except if things don't move as well as you might like.  Rare is the time that the water needs to remain on --- just used to clear things up as necessary.

Just my experience.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 04:14:48 AM »

I thought that from looking at it that it took water to operate it?

wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 05:14:00 AM »

I bought my bus 13 months ago and it was set up with a 75 gallon black/gray single tank.  With 2 showers, dishes and the toilet I could make 2 days without dumping and that was it.  I was headed to a training school for 2 weeks and we were to stay nat the lake as I would just commute to the training.  Well I had to do soemthing fast as I did not want to go dump every other day.  that would have been a pain.  I have been intending to put in two tanks, a black and a gray made out of diamond tread aluminum.  Well that is expensive and I didn't have the time or the money right then and there.  So I got to thinking what can I use.  Well I poor boy'ed it and for 10 bucks for a 55 gallon plastic drum and some pvc fittings I went to work.  In the barn I had 2 turn buckles, some coated cable and some eyolts from a christmas tree stand.

I mounted the tank on its side and used the eyebolts, coated cable and the turn buckles to strap that tank down.  I tighted it enough to flatten the side of the barrel that touches the floor.  I then drilled holes on the top side to meet the pvc from the shower, kitchen sink and the bathroom sink.  I used a 3/4 nipple screwed into the bung port and a ball valve to the nipple.  To that valve I screwed a gargen hose for draining.  Done.  It took only a couple hours and about $20 and scrap from the barn.  It works like a champ.  While at the park I just left the gray open and the hose out to the grass.  It has been so dry here we are under a no burn ban.  There wasn't even a puddle where it drained.  It was more like a 2 foot square damp spot.  The black lasted until Friday ( I haven't measured but I don't think the seller of my bus was honest about it being 75 gallon).  On Friday I was headed to an opener deer season get together and my wife headed home.  I went to the dump station on the way to the ranch and made short order of that.  Before I left the ranch I dumped before I left and went back for the 2cnd week of training.  Worked out perfect.  Instead of spending any money at all for the diamond plate aluminum tanks I am going to wait.  I do want to get a better black tank though.  This one is on it's last leg and is just not what I want.  I want a 55 gallon with a wash installed.  I want to be able to turn the valve on and stand back as it flushes itself.  In time I guess but I like my little drum idea.  It worked like a champ!

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
mlh1936

Graphics By Turbo Images

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 05:37:26 AM »

What's the best retrofit for quantity indications? I thought I'd be smart and left a sight gap in the tank container boxes. I bought heavy duty tanks and can't see through the tank walls as planned. So now I need to go back and try to install some sort of quantity system for my combination and fresh water tanks. They are both 100 gallons. I don't have much room on top to go in with a probe. Anybody have the foil "stick-on" type? Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Mal

1987 MCI 102A-3, 8V92, HT-740 conversion in progress.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 05:52:00 AM »

Is there a way you can screw a close nipple into any of the lower plumbing?  I'll post a pick of the idea I have if I have one on photobucket.  Be back in a minute.

www.snakebreaker.com
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 05:59:00 AM »

Alright well I don't have a pic.  So here goes.  On my bio diesel processors I use steel drums so there is no way to know the amount of liquid inside.  To get around that I attach whatever size plumbing at the bottom of the processor to a designated clear vynal tubing.  That tubing goes straight up to the top of the barrel to another nipple and vents to the top of the barrel.  So by opening a ball valve the fluid will go up the tube to the level of the fluid inside the tank. 

So if you have a way of adding some plumbing you could get this done in a matter of minutes.  Just remember what goes up that tube aint going back in until you drain the whole tank.  You dang sure aint going to blow it back in  Grin    To avoid possible spillage you just leave the valve closed and open it only when your checking the levels.  In my case on the bio diesel processor it could start a fire if I left the valve open and the vinyl tube failed so I keep it closed and use it only when I am filling the processor. 

www.snakebreaker.com
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 06:25:25 AM »

You could also measure the pressure required to blow air bubbles into the bottom of the tank (a small 1/4" NPT tapped hole in the top of the drain line before the dump valve).  The pressure would directly correlate to the level of liquid in the tank. You can use a simple manometer to directly read the level of the tank with clean water in a clear tube so you don't have to see the contents.

Or, you could get fancy with a low pressure transducer & display to indicate tank capacity at a remote location whenever the air bubbler is on.  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2010, 06:50:39 AM »

I like the way this thread is going.. has confirmed that the end choices are individual ones and I have learned some new idea's..Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 07:01:20 AM »

We have a 100 gal. fresh and a 100 gal. black tank. Both are stainless, no sensors or gauges. The toilet dumps straight down so if i want to i can check by looking there. We can go a week between dumping if we are a little careful. If we are hooked up to utilities as we are now, i just dump every 3-4 days. Takes all of 5 minutes total from opening the bay door to access the T handle to closing the door again. During that time i am filling the water tank and doing whatever else catches my eye.  Very simple system, has always worked,... it ain't rocket science, guys. You don't need all kinds of gadgets to make it work. Of course if you want to spend a bunch of money and time putting all together, and make it real complicated, have at it. Smiley

wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2010, 07:24:14 AM »

I am with you on this Ed, simpler the better.

www.snakebreaker.com
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2010, 07:27:39 AM »

I have to say I am extremely taken with that kitchen dispose-all macerator pump idea.  That will solve a lot of problems for me, including me being too  cheap to buy a proper "RV" one!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2010, 07:46:01 AM »

I realize that some people have different needs, but i would bet that most of us don't need to pump over an 8 ft. wall or 100 yards away, so a simple system works well......of course that doesn't give you something else to show and talk about to another busnut does it? Grin

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: