Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 10:05:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Basic water/waste water systems  (Read 5293 times)
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »

I was told that the combined capacity of the waste tanks (or the capacity if there is one) must be 115% of the fresh, according to the code.  Is this correct?  Thx,   BH

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2010, 06:37:11 AM »

Even if not "code", that 115% bigger waste than fresh sounds like a very sensable idea. Would help to minimize chances of a mess inside. . . .  Shocked
Wouldn't need a level sensor on the waste tank either.  Cool

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2010, 09:26:24 AM »

I was told that the combined capacity of the waste tanks (or the capacity if there is one) must be 115% of the fresh, according to the code.

Code requirements are a matter of state and not federal law, so there is no one single answer here, however, I have never heard of any such requirement.  That's not to say that some jurisdiction has not decided to do so.  That said, most states have adopted NFPA 1192 as the governing code for RV plumbing systems, and I just combed through my 2002 copy which does not include any such provision.  Just to double-check, I looked in the on-line read-only version of the current (2008) code and it's not in there, either.  FYI, section 7.5 deals with waste tanks.

I strongly recommend anyone doing a conversion buy the current code, available for $37 from the NFPA.  Not only does it cover waste systems including venting and discharge requirements, but also fresh water, LPG, generators, "toy compartments," emergency exits, and other life safety issues.  Well worth the money.  The code is also available "read only" for free, but you can't print it, copy/paste, or even take a screen shot, as the tool they use to present it locks all that out.  You will also have to register on their site with a valid email, which puts you on their marketing email list.

The code can be found here:
http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/AboutTheCodes.asp?DocNum=1192

So I would say, no, you are not required to have 115% of fresh capacity for waste unless the person who told you so is a code official in your jurisdiction.

HTH,

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: