Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 26, 2014, 01:22:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help finding affordable tires in Ohio  (Read 1376 times)
Casper4104

Ignore
« on: September 01, 2006, 12:30:07 PM »

Hey Fellers.

Iím in southeastern Ohio, near Parkersburg WV.  I made a few calls this afternoon, and it turns out that my tire size ainít so common anymore.  I need 2 decent 11.00R20ís, and Iíll need them mounted on my split ring front wheels and balanced.

Iíve got some drycracking, and I need 2 steer tires.  Itís not too bad, and I wouldnít be afraid to (gently) drive the bus a reasonable distance to get a good price on a couple of good take-offs.  Anywhere near the Pittsburgh/Columbus/Charleston WV triangle would work.

Any ideas?  Thanks,

Casper4104

If a half a hen lays a half an egg in a half a day - how long would it take a monkey with a wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle?
4104bigred

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 01:35:34 PM »

I installed 22.5 wheels with 12.00 radials on our 4104 and have had no problems

chris
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 02:18:59 PM »

Casper,

Get rid of those split rims.  They're dangerous, hard to find anyone to work on them and hard to find tires.

11 or 12R-22.5 on steel wheels.  You will have a much better chance of finding those in a truck junk yard.

One caveat, sometimes when a truck has been wrecked, the tires may be flat spotted from the last final stop.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 06:23:35 PM »

I second Len's recommendation.

For steers I would just buy new wheels, they aren't that expensive and your chance of getting straight wheels from a salvage yard are pretty slim. The only way to find out for sure if they are true is on a spin balancer.

I went through all six of mine and only found one true and  another almost. All the others were good only for the rear.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 07:20:18 PM »

Casper, check your email.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
Casper4104

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 09:18:10 PM »

Thanks for the tips gentlemen,

I'll call around about the wheels and check some prices and stuff.  I hear what you're saying about safety - especially for the guy busting the tires.  Them rings can take your head off.

I'm on a budget of course (ain't we all?) but I'll check out all options.

Thanks again,

Casper

If a half a hen lays a half an egg in a half a day - how long would it take a monkey with a wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle?
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 09:20:24 AM »

I would suggest you weigh your bus by axle first.  Staying with 11R-22.5 or 11R-24.5 will be a whole lot easier than trying to find the 12R-22.5 (which is the tubless version of your tire) or even the newer 315/80R-22.5.  Most likely, you won't need the big tire.  I run the 11R24.5 (mainly for higher ground clearance and a little more speed) and am pleased with them-plus the bigger tires look good.  Run the best tires you can find (Michelin) in the front.  In back you can run El Cheapo if you want (still suggest Michelin).  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: