Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 12:17:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well I am stuck between a rock and a ... bus  (Read 4229 times)
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 04:00:40 PM »

If you can sell it to someone at scrap price then that would be better than actually scrapping it. I've heard that down here in order to scrap a bus you must remove all tires, fuel, oil, freon, and antifreeze before they will take them as scrap. I spent a good bit of time up in Glen Burnie MD earlier in the year which is located in the area you are moving. Not a bad place other than the traffic. Good Luck!!

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
smokedetector

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 08:50:15 PM »

I think you think you have something that others cant do without. If you think your bus is better scrapped, then scrap it, but remember when you "DRIVE IT" into the scrapyard it will be the last time it is ever driven. I have offered you and many others more than you are asking. I want a bus. Many will believe this post uncalled for. Many will sacrifice another bus to the scrap gods. If you dont want too see your bus die call me.

Jon

Jon Morgan
Athens, GA
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 07:25:56 AM »

The first rule of commodity trading is to take the early loss.  That may seem like strange advice on a bus BBS but its equally valid here.  Take the loss now or take it later, its a loss either way and it will only get bigger.  If you really don't expect to use the bus for 5 years my advice is sell it now and get on with life.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 07:41:57 AM »

Sell it buses are not a asset only a liability probably the only thing you could ever own that one morning you start the engine and can cost you 10 grand plus lol 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 08:30:48 AM »

Sell it. You have a buyer and he wants to take care of the bus and not scrap it. It sounds like he will take care of it and it gets it off your hands until you want one. It just doesn't get better!

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
KozyCade

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 07:06:36 PM »

Eighteen cents a pound is for clean seperated metals if your lucky theese days. Scraping a whole bus as it sits you might get eleven cents a pound again if your lucky. If a recycler picks it up from you on site you will get seven or eight cents a pound. I play the scrap meatal pricing like the stock market. I buy low and sell high. LOL

Quag- re read the mail that I sent you. Kinda hard to beat the storage deal. Never hard back from you on if you wanted to store it or sell it.

Cade
smokedetector

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 03:43:41 AM »

I am sorry for my post, it was uncalled for. Due to the son not adding oil to his truck it will be a while before we can afford a bus. Scrap it.

Jon Morgan
Athens, GA
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 10:54:36 AM »

Jon -

Due to the son not adding oil to his truck it will be a while before we can afford a bus.

I'm sorry, but IMHO, it's your son's responsibility to take care of his truck, not yours.  Make him pay for the repairs, he'll take much better care of it in the future.  If he has to walk, ride a bike or take public transit until it's fixed, that's part of the consequences for not being responsible.

My parents instilled that in me growing up, and I did the same with my two kids.  "You break it - You pay for it."

Sorry if this comes across a little harsh, but I firmly believe that too many parents coddle their offspring way too much, instead of teaching them to accept responsibility for their actions, and/or the fact that the world doesn't owe them a living, they have to earn it.

I'll climb down off my SA-8 box now - no harm, no foul, just being curmudgeonly.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
KozyCade

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 12:05:22 PM »

RJ-  I must say that I whole heartedly agree with you but he mst be given a break due to starting his son out so young with all that responsibility.

Cade
QuagmireMan

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 12:31:14 PM »

Eighteen cents a pound is for clean seperated metals if your lucky theese days. Scraping a whole bus as it sits you might get eleven cents a pound again if your lucky. If a recycler picks it up from you on site you will get seven or eight cents a pound. I play the scrap meatal pricing like the stock market. I buy low and sell high. LOL

Quag- re read the mail that I sent you. Kinda hard to beat the storage deal. Never hard back from you on if you wanted to store it or sell it.

Cade

Sorry I have not responded, but things have been a little crazy. I have two job interviews in the next week... so I might be staying in Ohio afterall.  I am super greatful for your offer to store it  Smiley and I still might take you up on that.  Eighteen is what I was quoted and he said he thought I might be able to get a little bit more if I show him pictures of all the copper / aluminum parts.  I know there is very little market for an incomplete bus these days too, but I am still in the process of figuring out what to do.
QuagmireMan

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 05:17:43 AM »

Looks like I am going to be moving to MD after all.  Hopefully I can figure out what to do with it in the mean time  Huh
blank

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 11:10:45 AM »

A lot of scrap yards see a bus as a gold mine. Until they start taking it apart and throwing away all the garbage. 22,000 pounds sounds like a lot of metal. There is about 10,000 in axles engine and gearbox, and another 2000 pounds of glass. The plywood floor, interior panels, insulation, rubber, wiring... by the time you get down to the shell there isnt a lot of weight left. I scraped over a dozen busses, mostly transit, GMC and AM General, one 4104, and one 3751. If aluminum was $1.00 pound today, I wouldnt give $500 for a scrap bus. Lot of work for little gain, a sore back, cuts, and torn up equipment. An MCI might be a bit different, some have more stainless, but it may also be harder to take down too.

But as said, once it starts coming apart, it will never be a bus again. The 3751 got scrapped because it appeared to have structural failure. It didnt, and if I had waited a little longer I could have parked it and fixed it. I will always regret that. I would take a little less than scrap if I knew someone could use it and enjoy it. Not a lot less, but less.

As for a kid running his car out of oil. If you didnt teach him, its kind of your fault. If you did, making him suffer will wisen him up. I kept trying to bail out our son with cars, but only because of crap cars and bad luck. But when he blew the motor on the last car, then admitting to racing someone, I pointed at the tool box and told him he can fix it, or junk it. I offered to help buy an engine, but he was doing the labor. He looked at me in absolute horror. Screwing up and having to pull it back out really made a man out of the kid. He doesnt throw wrenches anymore. He doesnt let things go anymore. He takes care of what he drives. And its spread to everything he owns, as well as to friends and family, he's become a regular Mr fixit. Its your kid, raise him how you want to. If you want to coddle him, dont expect him to ever learn anything.

Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2010, 12:58:56 PM »

Looks like I am going to be moving to MD after all.  Hopefully I can figure out what to do with it in the mean time  Huh

Good luck, QM.  This can be a high-stress (and resource-intense) hobby.  I wish you luck with what you decide to do and hope that it works out well for your life and needs, as they are now.  And remember, you can always jump back in when you're ready.

Regards,  BH  NC USA

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: