Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 17, 2014, 08:37:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bendix part numbers  (Read 1542 times)
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« on: November 24, 2010, 09:24:52 PM »

can anyone tell me the bendix part number for the E6 brake valve for a MCI 8?  I see several E6's on ebay pretty cheap.  Also I am looking for some aftermarket part numbers for a bogie slack adjuster and brake liners.  I have a parts manual but obviously buying from MCI is VERY costly for these items.  I see lots of parts out there much cheaper than MCI but want to make sure I get the right parts.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 04:32:22 PM »

anyone?

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 05:02:29 PM »

Derric aren't all E6 valves the same only the mounting plate is different and I was thinking the E6 is for a dual air system the slack adjuster should not be a problem to match Ryder fleet or Anything Truck should have pictures and numbers for you not that much to choose from on slack adjusters, not much help to you as you know I am not a MCI guy 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 07:10:17 PM »

I just went to my local brake supply house and they fixed me up with a rebuilt about $90 If I remember rite (on a Mci 8  1978) Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 08:50:11 AM »

Thanks guys.  Clifford, I assume then that all E6 valves are the same and I can just use my mounting flange on any new E6 valve?  I find them on the e place as low as $20 for a new one in box.  Mine is leaking air, I can hear it hissing when you hold the pedal down.  And yes, MCI went to a dual air system in mid production of the 8's starting with unit number 31843 according to 'da book'.

As for the linings, MCI parts supercedes the part number to 'EX4398D' which is an 8 pack of linings.  I found 4398D at this link http://www.finditparts.com/t/manufacturer/fritec/p/fritec-4398d-dot-937-bn4 which appears is just a set of 2 for one wheel, at around $22.  Look right to you?  I have 1 broken on one tag is why I'm only replacing one.  All the linings are like new accept the one that broke.

as for the slack adjuster, I could find no other part number through MCI or elsewhere, so I will just crawl under there and see if I can find a part number on the slack adjuster and go from there.  Otherwise I suppose I will just have to pull it off and match it up at a parts house.  I was hoping to have all the parts in hand and only have to block the bus and get dirty one time.  I prefer to have all the needed parts in hand when starting a project, but that can't always be helped.  Especially on these buses.

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 10:29:12 AM »

On something as critical as your brakes, I would be very careful with eBay purchases.  The first thing that comes to mind is a Chinese counterfeit part.  They are everywhere and your life could depend on it.  Brake parts are just not that expensive at legitimate sources to take a chance.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 12:36:59 PM »

On something as critical as your brakes, I would be very careful with eBay purchases.  The first thing that comes to mind is a Chinese counterfeit part.  They are everywhere and your life could depend on it.  Brake parts are just not that expensive at legitimate sources to take a chance.

agreed.  However, the ones I was looking at were bendix name brand.

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 01:28:03 PM »

That's fine as long as you trust the source.  Just because they say Bendix on them doesn't mean they are not counterfeit.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 05:41:32 PM »

Thomas I was discussing your problem with another bus nut and he asked had you checked to see if one of your diaphrams was leaking.   He said if one is bad you can hear air from the valve.  Have you checked them?

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 05:47:12 PM »

Thomas I was discussing your problem with another bus nut and he asked had you checked to see if one of your diaphrams was leaking.   He said if one is bad you can hear air from the valve.  Have you checked them?

Frank

No, I haven't.  The thought never occurred to me.  When you say I would hear air at the valve I assume you mean that I would hear the air going through the valve on it's way to the leaking diaphragm?  It actually sounds like air leaking out of the valve itself.  Before replacing anything I will have the wife step on the pedal and I will verify where the air is actually leaking out of the system.  I don't want to throw unnecessary parts at it if not needed.  Thanks for the suggestion, I will take it!

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
gmbusguy1

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 06:15:52 PM »

Just call Luke at US Coach he has the knowledge and parts you need at fair prices and best of all the advice is priceless and correct

Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: