Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 26, 2014, 02:38:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To fill tank or empty it. That is the question.  (Read 2477 times)
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 02:16:44 AM »

I often hear of diesels that haven't been run in years, and as long as fresh batteries are supplied they start right up. I had this same experience with mine. It had set for 5 years and when I went to look at it we had to go buy batteries just to start it. It started right up the first time and hasn't let me down since (the engine that is, not talkin about the batteries here.... that is another story). Of course when it was parked it had a full tank and it was in a year around mild climate...

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 08:36:55 AM »

I often hear of diesels that haven't been run in years, and as long as fresh batteries are supplied they start right up. I had this same experience with mine. It had set for 5 years and when I went to look at it we had to go buy batteries just to start it. It started right up the first time and hasn't let me down since (the engine that is, not talkin about the batteries here.... that is another story). Of course when it was parked it had a full tank and it was in a year around mild climate...

Yep, diesel fuel used to be simple, almost a by product of the gasoline refinement process - now it is a highly refined product itself.

Was it filled before the 'new & improved' fuels were mandated? The additives they are now using to make it 'cleaner burning' often have an adverse effect on shelf life.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 08:50:23 AM »

It was filled in 2003....... I dont know if it was "new and improved" fuel or not. It was filled in cally though, so chances are we were using this crappy fuel before the other states.....

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 09:54:30 AM »

Fill it in 2 years with the price of diesel going up that 140 gals may be worth 3 times what you pay for it now
good luck

That's a pretty safe bet.....don't expect them to go any lower....

Other than theft and since you have other uses for diesel, I would store it full.

Algae and other glump can be filtered out when used.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
KozyCade

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 12:16:20 PM »

Filler up! One point you might consider is the worth of your coach verses dropping the insurance. Wouldnt take alot of a storm to cause enough damage that you consider scraping it then over tring to say several hundred dollars. My insurance policy has has a storage rider where you just drop the liability for for a mere $87.00 a year prorated you have the protection. Yhey also allow you to bring it out of storage 4 times a year for 30 days.

Just my nickels worth but look out for the splinters.

Cade
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: