Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 16, 2014, 04:32:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wiring Batteries for charging  (Read 795 times)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2010, 01:17:04 PM »

Hey Folks,
  Since my desulfator thread I have come across a couple 6v. deep batteries. Tom C. inspired me with the idea of getting batteries from a "pile" and desulfating them. But, I actually came across a couple good 6v. batteries (the GOOD price) while purchasing a 12v. for my Bobcat. I thought they may make good spares for my house batteries. They seem to be in good shape. They both show about 6.2v.

I want to charge them up to see how good they actually are but the only setting on my charger (big charger) is 6v. high. I was kinda wanting to NOT put them on high charge (I'm always a little leery of charging on high). So do you think if I put them in series and charged them on low it would be cool? Would they level out the same? Or should I do them separately on high for a shorter time??

When I think I have then fully charged, what should they read? And what is a good rule of thumb to know if they are good or not? I will desulfate them when I finally get one. I will compare then too.

Thanx a bunch!!!
  Chaz
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 02:38:54 PM by Chaz » Logged

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 01:20:50 PM »

You could put them in series and charge them on 12v low if you have that setting.  Charge them low and slow if you want to, they will eventually catch up to each other.  It's more charging in parallel where you run a risk of one battery having an issue and over/under charging occurring, as far as I understand it.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 04:52:52 PM »

Hey not to hijack the thread, but Chaz, since you mentioned you have a bobcat...

For years on end I used to have to drag out a charger to jump-start my bobcat every time I wanted to use it (once a week or so) and I went through batteries every year or so- just couldn't keep em charged.

Then I got one of these- ebay item 260700290901 - nifty little solar panels made for keeping VW batteries alive in the new car lot- I tie wrapped it to the top of the Bobcat cage, wired it in to the battery, and here we are 5 years later, not having had to drag the jump-charger out even one time since, and still running strong on the same *very happy* battery!!

Just FYI- these are really cool doodahs!!

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 07:34:02 PM »

if both batteries are of the same capacity, and about the same specific gravity then you will be fine to charge them in series.  If they are different capacity or different level of specific gravity (basically charge level) then you run the risk of overcharging one of them and damaging it by charging them in series.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: