Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 05:11:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: House wiring  (Read 607 times)
trucktramp

Ignore
« on: December 02, 2010, 12:03:22 AM »

It looks like I am going to have to "upgrade" the house wiring in the MC5.  Right now I looks like a rough in with exposed wiring and handy boxes just sitting on the floor.  Currently, it has been wired with Romex type wire except where the PO pig tailed in an extension cord end to some Romex.  Needless to say I have a project ahead of me.  What type wire does code call for in an RV?  I did a search and noticed that  thnn (I think) is acceptable in conduit.  Is there any NM type or jacketed (think romex) that is acceptable?  For some reason I thought stranded type jacketed was ok if it was terminated properly but I may be wrong.  I checked my local library for a copy of the NEC but they don't have one available.

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 06:05:30 AM »

All NM (including the trademark "Romex") is acceptable in an RV.  The only wiring you will need to change if the PO ran NM is the extension cord.

Of course, all rules for NM wiring still need to be followed, and this type of wire can only be used where it is protected by walls, ceilings, chases, etc. and not exposed.  If you need to run something exposed where it could be subjected to mechanical damage, you need to use conduit (metal or plastic) or metal-clad cable such as AC.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: