Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 05:16:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Start- Of course... Any suggestions  (Read 3215 times)
Tully Lee

Ignore
« on: December 02, 2010, 01:24:34 PM »

So I  have had my bus parked outside the last couple of weeks.  Have started it every other day to keep batteries and all up to charge.

Go out today and start-  batteries run down.  Put the batteries on a charger and after an hour go out.  Cranking and bus finally starts.  It is a little rough idle for about a minute then smooths out.  I go into
my office to let it warm up.  Go out 10 minutes latter and it is not running?  So, I go to start.  Batteries are a little too low.  I put it on 200 AMP Jump start and it spins just fine fut will not fire up not. 

Could the fuel be frozen and this is the reason for a no start?  It is around between 20-30 degrees today.

What would you suggest.  It is a 1990 Prevost with a Detroit Silver Twin Turbo.

Thanks,

Tully
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 01:29:40 PM »

if you do not have 12 volt minimun to ddec it will not run..check battery voltage individually .don't remember which battery 12 volt tap comes off of. were you on fast idle?

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Tully Lee

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 01:35:03 PM »

Never had a chance to put it on fast idle.  When I came out she was not running.  I have a 12/24 volt sytem with four chassis batteries.  Not certain if they are in series or parallel.... but if the bus was running would the alt. not have kicked in to start charging right away?

Sounds almost like there is no spark (fire)... just spinning with not start up.

Tully
Tully Lee

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 01:38:16 PM »

Just tried to crank it over again.  It spins real free the engine but just is not catching.  If the fuel has frozen would and could this be the problem?  If it is, what type of treatment could I put in the fuel?

Tully
Tully Lee

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 01:44:23 PM »

Is it ok to press the gas pedal all the way down while cranking? I know on fuel injected engines you are not suppose to do that?

Tully
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 01:46:13 PM »

there is a seperate breaker for 12 volt feed to DDEC II  or some actually had a inline fuse close to batt connection...ck next to 12 volt switch in rear bay close to vanner and ck on vanner for reset.  make sure rear start switch is in correct position.I'll get bk out and ck to see if I can find exact locations.  Bob

thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 01:47:46 PM »

I am certainly no expert, but I don't think you should have fuel problems @ 30 deg.  I'm not sure about prevo's but on mci's the alt will not charge until the air is built up in the system and the low air alarm silences.  fwiw, I never let my engine idle.  I either have my foot on the pedal or the high idle is on.  I will hold it at a fast idle when i fire it up until there is enough air to trigger the fast idle plunger.  just my way.  DD don't like to idle.  Try removing the power from the ddec for a few minutes and see if it resets.  Are you getting any smoke while cranking the engine?  If so then you are getting fuel.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
Tully Lee

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 02:00:31 PM »

Just had it start for like five seconds and then shut down again.  So I am a little confused on this one.

Tully
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 02:02:32 PM »

are your batteries in the rh engine compartment? 3 serries 31's

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 02:05:56 PM »

ck water level in tank-to low will start and shut off.    happen to me.   Bob 

Tully Lee

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 02:13:29 PM »

I have (4) batteries in the back passenger side of the bus.  Getting a little to cold and a little frustrated so I will re-address first thing A.M.

Thanks so much for the fast replies.

Tully
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 02:18:41 PM »

should be 6 breakers thru frame right rear lug bay  front two are 12 volt. do ck water level in tank  sometimes the simple things cause major aggravation  Bob

Tully Lee

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 02:25:23 PM »

When you say water level you meaning the antifreez level?  Correct?

Thanks,

Tully
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 02:29:14 PM »

yes in the tank it has a low coolant sensor that will shut you down or won"t let you start/will turn over but not start.If in doubt dump a little in . I know the sight glass give a false look when they get old.  Bob

Tully Lee

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 02:35:56 PM »

First thing in the A.M. will check these items out and give an update.  Great website!  Busnuts stick together and that I dig...

Tully
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: