Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 12:53:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is anyone running antique tags on their older buses?  (Read 3364 times)
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« on: September 01, 2006, 09:54:06 PM »

Is anyone running antique tags on their older buses? After looking at the law for the state of VA it seems to be the way to go. It looks like it would save a lot of money. Does anyone have any pros or cons in doing this?

Thanks

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Starliner58

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 10:22:09 PM »

Yes. In North Dakota, if a vehicle is 40 years young, it is eligible for pioneer plates. There is a one time fee for a  lifetime license. Our bus, 1958 Flxible Starliner, is licensed that way. I don't know of any negatives for doing it that way, but it saves some money and hassle.

Wayne
Dallas

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 03:21:30 AM »

I also have ND Pioneer plates and have driven thousands of miles on them. Our bus is a 52 GMC PD4103.

The only drawback I've found is that if we stay in one place too long the localgovernment wants us to change to the registration of the state we're in. We keep an address in ND so that we continue to have citizenship.

To add one more thing, Our insurance through GMAC is $96/year for liability.

Dallas
Happycampersrus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 04:48:32 AM »

Barn Owl,

The DMV down here in Galax, Va. wouldn't let me have them, because my bus was titled as a motorhome. If you get them let me know.

Dale
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 07:39:59 AM »

At first I thought you were talking about tag axles.  Funny how tags is an east coast expression.  We call them license plates and the little yearly registation sticker is the license tag.  I remember running into that the first time I drove to the east coast and gave them the number off the registration tag with them scratching their heads trying to figure out the numbers.  But-right and left coasts are definitely different.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Brill-o

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 10:38:56 AM »

I live in Va. (barely) also- and from the top of my head, I recall there being two different sets of old tags available: Antique and historic.

Both, having different year cut-offís and mileage limitations.

I think I was leaning to the historic because of cost and availability
But, I recall one is not available as a personalized plate.

The wife is doing the research and contacted Richmond, so when she gets a reply/forms, Iíll give an update-

On a side note: I run "Farm Use" tags on my service truck, my bucket truck, and my dump body. This is the cheapest and easiest way to go, but the mileage limitations wouldn't be practical for a coach, and probably skirting the legality of the law as it's written.

Cheers..

Mind the Gap!
belfert

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 11:43:00 AM »

Craig Shepard has collector plates on his bus.  Minnesota is 20 years old and you have to have another vehicle licensed.  $25 lifetime.  $277 a year otherwise.

The Minnesota DMV website says RVs cannot have collector plates, but the actual law doesn't say that.  Craig had to work hard to get his collector plate as it was rejected at least once.

Brian Elfert
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 02:02:39 PM »

Here in PA, I have an antique car, and two other cars wearing "Classic" plates (15+ yrs old).  But I have decided not to pursue antique plates for my '59.    The fact that my current plate states "Motorhome" has proved helpful in resolving questions about my exact vehicle classification. This has helped me clarify which highway toll or parking fee I should be paying. In short, it quickly shows the fact that I am a non-commercial vehicle, and only subject to the same rules as stick & staples.

Wayne

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
Greg Paciga (S.Ga)
Future centerfold

4 years and I'm almost there. N.J. Transits Rock!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 06:37:16 PM »

I had tried to get them here in Georgia. It was a catch 22 situation though. If I were registering my 9 as a 'BUS" no problem. But them I had to have a special Drivers licence and insurance would have been next to impossible to pay for. But since I have to register my coach as an RV antigue plates aren't available.

GO FIGURE!!!  Huh Huh

Don't think your going to do a conversion overnight. I did and 4 years later I'm still only 85% done. LOL† SmileySmiley

Why??† Because I did it right. Check out my any of my 900+
pics posted on Community webshots.com
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 06:40:37 PM »

Greg, great to see you posting again. Any more adventure stories for us? LOL
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
gus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 07:07:07 PM »

The problem in  Arkansas is that an antique is limited to 2500 miles a year so that lets me out. I never asked if a motorhome qualifies, don't see why not if the mileage is ok.

I have a bunch of other vehicles with Antique plates though, saves me a bundle.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Greg Paciga (S.Ga)
Future centerfold

4 years and I'm almost there. N.J. Transits Rock!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 04:35:48 AM »

Greg, great to see you posting again. Any more adventure stories for us? LOL
Richard

Yea. I'll tell you about my trip up to Chicago last year. Lost a radiator in...LOUIVILLE, KY of all places.
I'll see if I can't draft up a quick summery of that nighmare. LOL

Don't think your going to do a conversion overnight. I did and 4 years later I'm still only 85% done. LOL† SmileySmiley

Why??† Because I did it right. Check out my any of my 900+
pics posted on Community webshots.com
JerryH

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 06:44:37 AM »

Pennsylvania is pretty specific regarding the use of Antique or Collector plates.

http://www.dot10.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-ant.pdf

* Occassional use is one requirement -- no more than "once" a week.
* Buses may not transport passengers.

So in PA, unless I were going to use the bus solo one day a week, I don't see how it would work for me.

Jerry H.

*** BY THE BY... WAYNE, CAN YOU EMAIL ME ***
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006, 07:54:54 PM »

Barn Owl,

I would check carefully before putting antique tags on the bus.† I have a friend who just put antique tags on his vett.† One of the limitations was he could be no more than 250 miles from home unless he was attending a car show.† A definite show stopper for a bus.

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 08:30:38 PM »

Private coach plates ( motorhome)  in Florida are around $50 a year. Why go through all the hassle trying to be different
with a limited use license tag. Why not just order a personalized license plate and be done with it.?

Oh.. Yeah.. 2-axles is a Motorhome, 3-Axles is a Private Coach if you follow the "book"....

As in everything else, Keep it simple.... The chance of causing yourself excessive grief by asking too many questions or
providing too much information may cause the price to go way up.

Sorry... Just saw that message about a tag costing $277 a year.... ( sounds like a commercial plate to me..) Embarrassed

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: