Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 27, 2014, 01:55:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Info on a Decent, Cheap Plasma Cutter? Any Suggestions?  (Read 3802 times)
NJT5047

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2010, 11:28:52 AM »

Reckon the subject line says it all.  Looking for ideas on what works without blowing a bundle. 
Harbor Freight has a 240V unit that looks like it would do what I want...which is cut smallish steel parts, 90% of which will be less than 1/4" thick.  http://www.harborfreight.com/230-volt-inverter-plasma-cutter-with-digital-display-95136.html
I've never used a plasma cutter and other than the unit that Jack Conrad used to cut Jon's door, never even seen one up close...so any info will be helpful.   
Looks like most 'name-brand' units are $1200 and up?   That's a fuzz more than I'd like to spend...unless there's no option.
What say ye?!
Thanks!  JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 11:41:42 AM »

I think muddog 16   has a like new one that he wanted to sell a few months ago.Don't know  if its gone or not.Bob
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 11:46:40 AM by robertglines1 » Logged

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Ray D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 01:36:11 PM »

The harbor freight one is okay for light work, but I could never get a nice pretty cut in 1/4", but does fine on anything lighter.

Ray D
Ed Brenner

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 02:04:46 PM »

JR,
 I've got that unit,had it a couple of years figured when I got it it would probably blow up. It has been a great unit for the price.It originally was 1000.00
Somehow I got mine new on an E-bay bid at $500.00
I have cut alum. stainless and steel. I have cut 1/4 plate no problem. It will cut as smooth as your hand is steady.
For the price I don't think you can go wrong. To bad they don't have a Tig welder for Aluminum that is cheap !!
Thanks Ed

Ed Brenner
77 Eagle 05  Murrells inlet, SC
 " While We're At It " A Busnut's most costly Phrase !!
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 03:10:27 PM »

Thanks for all the good info!   
Ed, Ebay... Item # 230558133667   Cheap TIG welder. 
The guy on Ebay has a lot of other cheap stuff too.  And he has a very active web site, and he's helping folk repair failed Chinese units on other sites.   Another possibility.   
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 03:43:51 PM »

I have a plasma cutter I would love to part with but I'm pretty far away from you

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Charles in SC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 07:23:50 PM »

JR keep in mind that the bigger the cutter capability the bigger the power draw. They pull a lot of amps.

S8M 5303 built in 1969, converted in 2000
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 07:50:08 PM »

Looks like I will be coming through NM about the middle of January...can I help?  If so call me at 828-three one zero, 8111.  (Will be off the net for a few days!)
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 07:57:58 PM »

I have a plasma cutter I would love to part with but I'm pretty far away from you

Melbo

As the journolists say...what is it, where is it, and how much? 
Cannot use 3 phase.  Have a 220/50A welder outlet wired in the shop.   Doubt a 120V would work for my needs...from what I read, if the ads say 'cuts 1/2"...that means clean cuts on 1/4"?    Learned another term too..."cuts" vs "severs."
One thing's for sure, I'm tired of cleaning up sloppy torch cuts. 
Thanks, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 08:13:06 PM »

Looks like I will be coming through NM about the middle of January...can I help?  If so call me at 828-three one zero, 8111.  (Will be off the net for a few days!)
Jack

Thanks Jack, maybe Melbo's running a "free shipping" special this week?   Grin Roll Eyes   Suppose I shoulda mentioned that after he put a price on it?   Roll Eyes

Charles, I've got a 220Vac, 50A that runs the stick and wire welder.  I'd guess that should be suitable for for a plasma cutter that's rated for anything less than 50A?   Most of the heavy cutters I've looked on the 'net are 3 phase.   220Vac looks like better home use stuff.  Lots of 120V units too.  220V looks about right.   
I'm installing a Kawasaki ZX6E engine into a golf cart.  Wasting tons of time and gas trying to cut and fit these tiny bits of metal for the project.   
Wanted a plasma cutter for a long time...Dear Santa...!    Wink
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 09:24:35 PM »

I've had a lot of different plasma cutters throughout the years and all I can say is you get what you pay for. The cheaper units will do probably 1/2 of what they say they are rated for. If you are buying one for production type of work get a good one. Other than that you can do as much with a torch. I wouldn't waste a lot of $$$ on one for use as a hobby.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 07:39:33 AM »

The one I have is an L-TEC VPM-CPi and goes up to 40 amps however I have a plug for 50 amp so I can use the same outlet as the coach plugs into

I paid somewhere about 600 for it and used it to do my new windshield frames --- since then it just sits there collecting dust.

I would like to get 350 for the cutter and the dust is free.

It is on a stand that you can also have if jack wants to ship it for free I am sure we can work something out.

PM me and let me know

I am not far from the intersection of I 40 and I 25 right in the middle of the state.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 07:49:43 AM »

I bit the bullet and bought a Thermal Dynamic some of the cheaper ones are real touchy about the air supply a few I checked out had to have nitrogen only or required a air dyer.I just filter the air  

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 10:50:33 AM »

I second Clifford, if you are looking to buy a good plasma cutter.   Invest the money in a Thermal Dynamics unit.   When you have to sell it you will get "some" money back..   It's better than buying two cheaps ones that will never equal a good one.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 08:55:21 PM »

Thanks for the advice, but I'm cheap...as much as I'd like to have a Thermal Dynamics machine, that ain't gonna happen.   Even the lower priced Hobarts and Millers are easily twice the cost, and generally 3 times the cost of a similarly sized Chinese cutter.
Considering the location of our local Harbor Freight, the $899 plasma cutter that's on sale for $649 is looking doable. 
I've got a big compressor with plenty of dry air....paint a good bit here.  Painted the bus here 8 years ago. 
The Chinese plasma cutters are definitely inferior to most American made units, although Miller and Lincoln both vendor from
China for their low end cutters.   Miller and Lincoln are able to warranty and manage their problems.  Hope Harbor Freight will do the same.   Then there's ESAB that's considered a quality Chinese system.   
I bought a 1" air wrench from Harbor Freight about 9 years ago.  That sucker failed the first time I used it.   Ended up taking it apart and found the wipers in the motor locking the armature due to sorry Chinese workmanship and fit.  Fitted the wipers and the wrench has worked great ever since.    Probably could have carried it back, but...??    A plasma cutter is different...I couldn't repair one.   
Harbor Freight has a 30 day, no questions asked, return period.  I'll wear that thing out early on...expose weaknesses you know.   Then hope it doesn't quit later. 
I stated earlier in this post that an Ebay company called "GiantTech" appeared to stand behind their product...that was in incorrect statement.   Low priced plasma cutters bought on Ebay are a crapshoot.   A large percentage of the units arrive DOA, or become DRT (dead right there [Cool paramedic term]) in short order.  Warranty is sketchy.   Finding the correct parts is difficult. 
Suppose that to be fair, some of the Ebay units are likely bought, promptly assembled incorrectly or loosely, and operated on wet air. 
This plasma thing has been a short learning curve. 
Thanks again for the ideas! JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: