Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 05:25:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tu-Flo 700 compressor questions  (Read 1851 times)
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2010, 05:32:11 AM »

now that my old engine is in my shop I have to start taking things off and renovate/repair/replace as appropriate.  the first big lump is going to be the compressor.  I have a Tu-Flo 700 per the tag, which is presumable a bit of an upgrade from the stock Tu-Flo 600 that the 5C was supposed to come with.  Is it a current model, or recent enough that I get it rebuilt, or should I look for something newer?

thanks, Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 05:52:24 AM »

Brian

I know that later 8v92's came with a truflo 750 but I'm not sure if the bolt pattern is the same. The biggest source of my air leaks and believe it or not my oil leaks as well was my compressor. I put a rebuilt 700 on it and I am super pleased. it cut my air up time in half at least.

If the 750 will bolt on i would go for the extra 50 cfm if you can find one rebuilt for the same price. Mine was around $300 with core.

Have fun and watch your fingers, those things are awkward and heavy.

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 06:05:36 AM »

Rick, where did you get your compressor?

Do the 2 strokes have the fuel pump powered by the compressor?  On my Series 60 the fuel pump is hooked to the back of the Tu-Flo 750 and that is how it gets power.  I'm thinking if I need a compressor I should probably probably have someone do it with all the stuff to disconnect and reconnect.  It appears the DN50 might have to come out too.

Looking at Bendix's website it appears the 600, 700, and 750 are all still current products.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 07:02:29 AM »

Brian, I sent mine (forgot the model), off the 4-71 in the Courier 96 for an exchange for a rebuilt through Inland-Kenworth. It was around $300, well worth it, specially for yours that will be at the back of the engine, awkward to get at once the engine is back in the bus.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 07:04:05 AM »

Fwiw the 550 thru 750 Tu-Flo are the same in size and bolt patterns, Bepco on the net is a good source for parts numbers for compressors with the different tilts and MCI has a good one lol 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 08:53:21 AM »

Brian elfert,

I got mine from C&J I put the first one in which had a hairline crack in the mounting flange (people way overtighten these things) and when I took it in they warranteed it and Dan put the one i have now in. Works great and doesn't leak. They are capable of leaking oil just as much air.

Alot of you perpetual oil fillers out there would probably do well next summer to change it out if you can't find an obvious leak. That was definitely where alot of my unaccounted for oil was going.

Other than the spitter tubes my engine is leaking absolutley nowhere. It feels good to look in the engine compartment and not see oil coming off the alternator, and power steering pump and out of the valve covers as well.

Well, we all know that won't last now don't we?

RB

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »

Do the 2 strokes have the fuel pump powered by the compressor?

On the 2 strokers the fuel pumps are driven off the front of the engine.  I believe off the front of the cam, but if I am wrong someone will correct me.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 09:43:50 AM »

Do the 2 strokes have the fuel pump powered by the compressor?

On the 2 strokers the fuel pumps are driven off the front of the engine.  I believe off the front of the cam, but if I am wrong someone will correct me.

The fuel pump on my 2 stroke is driven off the blower.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 10:11:43 PM »

The fuel pump on my 2 stroke is driven off the blower.

I couldn't remember exactly where, I just remembered it was on the front there somewhere.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: