Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 28, 2014, 06:09:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some engine repair advice  (Read 7310 times)
brando4905

Ignore
« on: December 08, 2010, 11:38:46 AM »

Hey Folks--

It was about this time last year that we had to search for a used engine due to gear train failure of the old one.Dropped bus off last week at the shop because I started seeing some blue smoke. Well, just got word from my mechanic that 2 cylinders in my replacement engine only have about 200psi compression and the liners in those hole are loose. He says it may not be as simple as putting new cylinder kits in because the loose liners may mean that the block needs boring.

Just looking for some advice, I know this isn't alot of info, but it's all I have right now. Probably know more tomorrow.

Is it look for another engine time, or try to rebuild this one? Cry

Thanks,
Brandon

1980 GMC H8H-649  8V71/V730 Marion,NC

"The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense" -Dylan
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 11:51:12 AM »

Get estimates for overhauling your engine. It will be expensive: lots of labor. The good thing is that you would then know you had a good engine for a long time.

A cheaper alternative is to look for a used engine and slide it in. It is probably cheap enough to take the risk on an unknown engine.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
brando4905

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 11:54:48 AM »

JC,

Just slid in used engine this time last year Undecided

This things gonna put me in the poor house!

Brandon

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 11:57:59 AM »

Brandon,

It mostly depends on your personal economic situation.

Another used engine is just another crap shoot.

Options:

1.  Minimal repair on the engine you have

2.  Major overhaul on the engine you have

3.  Another used engine

4.  A factory rebuilt engine exchange.

My choice, given the small size of my checkbook, would be an overhaul of your engine, assuming you have someone who knows what they are doing.

Now, if you found a documented and/or professionally tested used engine, that might be a good compromise.

It's not an easy decision no matter how you go.  For some of us, it would mean scrap the bus and forget the whole thing.

There is hardly anything more unpleasant or expensive than losing an engine thousands of miles from home.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 11:59:49 AM »

Where are you located? If you can get it to central Florida, I know of a good engine swap shop that is REALLY pretty reasonable and you can stay in the bus while the work is being done and to add to that, IF it gets done in time, you can join all of us for New Years in Arcadia!
What motor do you have. They might have one built and ready to go in!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
brando4905

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 12:13:09 PM »

It's not an easy decision no matter how you go.  For some of us, it would mean scrap the bus and forget the whole thing.

This is a definite possibility, We've had it going on four years now and this isn't the first catastrophe. It's almost embarassing the amount of money that's been spent so far on repairs, not to mention the labor and repairs I've done myself, and the new paint job. I know at some point the smart thing is to scrap it, I just don't know how many more $$$ we can justify. That would be a very sad day, seeing her on the hook for the last time to the recycler.

brando4905

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 12:17:32 PM »

Ace,

8v71, do you have any ideas on price from your guys?

I've got a good mechanic here in NC, and I'd hate to take the work from him. I would also have to pay him to put it back together to attempt the trip down to FL.

Thanks,
Brandon

Ace

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 12:56:37 PM »

Brandon, I just talked to my buddy and he says he DOES have what you need! He said to give him a call and discuss it with him and he WILL treat you right!

His name is John, and his number is  863/559-8862

He just had Sean from these boards there with his bus in for service, Steve is there now with his 60 series transplanted NeoPlan for Bigfoot levelers there. Bill will be there this week with his H3 Prevost and Jack Cambell's bus is there now for king pins and bushings! That is onlyu a few that I know of that are recent! Mine MIGHT go in before Arcadia but not a necessity!

Give him a call! He will treat you better than anyone else!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
busguy01

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 01:26:50 PM »

I agree with ACE. John and his group are just great and easy to work with -- also honest as the day is long. helped me out several years back and the experience is one of the best onesI have had with a repair shop. His word is better than good. At least call him.
JimH

Started with nothing - still have most of it left!
1963 Eagle 01 with Detroit 60 series done (Gone-sold!)
MCI EL3 in progress. raised roof & Slides
2009 Revolution 42 Sticks and staple
Summer - Yankton, South Dakota
Winter- Port St Lucie, Florida
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 01:32:40 PM »

Yes, used engines are a crap shoot, but - it comes down to risk management.
A good & through inspection of a used motor won't be cheap, but then you'll KNOW what you are starting with.
I know an AWESOME 2 stroke mechanic in MillSpring, NC & he also very good to busnuts. He has a '48 Jimmy that he put a DDEC 6-71T in & it sounds so good!
(Russell's Diesel Service 828/863-2102)

Sometimes freshly rebuilt engines have problems too. Driving style has a huge effect on the life of the motor.

Price out all of your options before you make a decision.
A 2 stroke will go for a long time with problems that would stop a 4 stroke. . . .

As for the $$$ already spent - well, that is what hobbies are for, to provide something to point at when asked "where did all the money go?"  Wink

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 03:03:14 PM »

Brandon, check with Nimco he had some good 71 lefties not long ago don't just buy the takeout buy the dyno tested those are lo mileage engines Nimco had,if he still has it I know a guy in Idaho that has one with 7600 miles total (City of Phoenix Bus ) and you can buy the bus and the engine for 3 grand and drive it anywhere and then remove the engine, shop buddy you do not want to invest 10 grand in a 8v71 engine in todays market and it will cost you 10+ if a shop does it and you are never going to get the money back when you sell.
You never know anyway if your 71 is rebuildable most of those engines have been bored to limit over the years 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 03:23:32 PM »

Clifford with all due respect, I think it would fair to say that before you quote what shops would charge such as 10k as you stated, maybe you should have checked with the shops in question! If John said he would give him a deal, I believe THAT deal to way better than 10k or more as you put it! Quote the shops you know, not the ones you don't!
Besides John has a top notch 2 stoke mechanic on site and a 4 stroke guy and they have done MANY re-builds that are still running from years ago!
In fact they JUST finished up re-planting a 8v92 in a 45 foot Neo-plan with a 14 litre 60 series and most everything had to be hand crafted from scratch such as cradle, misc mounts, hoses, lines, wiring harness's etc etc. so I think they are more than capable of supplying the needs of bus nuts here and there and at a GOOD price. The owner of the Neo-plan was VERY pleased with the work AND the final price!
It wouldn't hurt for Brandon to at least give him a call and get a quote! As for engines? When his mechanics are slow, he has them rebuild motors and then set them up on a shelf covered up so he does have a selection! Granted they aren't all dyno tuned and painted but they are built right!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 03:43:07 PM »

Call John and check Ace if his are rebuilt to DD spec's it will be 10+ may be a little cheaper with aftermarket parts I am not bad mouthing John bought several 3:33 gears for Eagles from him you just can not rebuild those engines cheap any longer,bet you a cold one it will be 10 grand fwiw I saw 8v71 from a shop on the other coast that was over 20 grand,40 to 50 man hours to rebuild one out of the bus

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 03:53:45 PM »

I had the same thing happen to me when I bought my transit bus with 8V-71N.  The bus company would put in a new speedo when they overhauled an engine.  The speedo was showing 67,000mi, and the engine did run well.  It eventually overheated cracking one of the heads-but the coolant temp never went up-indicating that the cylinder liners were not fitted correctly.  I had the engine overhauled at LA Freightliner.  We pulled the engine cradle, and found the cylinders in the block out of round.  We had the block bored .010 over and used .010 over bore with standard piston bore cylinder liners.  I reused all my pistons and rings-since they were in good shape and bought one new cylinder head.  I noticed right away that the engine ran with a hotter coolant temperature-indicating that the cylinder liners were now nice and tight transferring the heat properly to the block.  Have this done and you probably won't ever have to touch the engine again.  On the worn out cylinders-you could probably get by with ring replacment with the new oversized cylinder liners.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 05:22:32 PM »

Kyle, the Russell's Diesel Service guy, is that a PD3751 that he has with the TA in it?  If so would like to speak with him.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: