Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 05:25:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new topic - critical spares list  (Read 3887 times)
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 06:02:43 PM »

Cliff,
I remember back when I was in High School I went on a trip to FL with a group of kids in Campus Life and the bus company we charted with had old GM's (I couldn't even try to remember or guess which models know) and the one I actually rode had a bad starter and us kids had to get out and push start it every time the driver shut it off! (which was every time he stopped because he would put it in gear to park it!)
I didn't know any better back then but now days I'd insist that bus be placed out of service! Because if the parking brakes wouldn't hold it, and it didn't need air pressure to release the brakes so about 8-10 teenagers could push start it that bus had some serious issues!
I do remember that we had about a 2 hr delay leaving s my father and several other fathers refused to let the buses leave until on of the steer tires got replaced because they "thought they could see the air inside of it!"
Grin  BK  Grin

So just take more of yer kids friends to help push and you won't need a truck! Grin

Bryce,

This is one time have that air compressor in the bay paid off, aired up and released the brakes.

I thought I had a bad starter but found out later it was a battery that only showed bad under load.

The guy in the Ford was awfully proud that he pulled off my GMC......that was until I put on the brake.... Wink

Cliff 

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 06:07:28 PM »

Spare air helps
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 06:11:32 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 06:49:50 PM »

Spare air helps

Wink

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 12:42:42 AM »

memories from last bussin at arcadia. spare cell phone for BK    HEEE HEEE

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
trucktramp

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 06:06:14 AM »

Spare air?  Is that like canned steam?  Grin Grin

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual
Merlin

Run away before the kids come back home.

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 06:05:33 AM »

I agree with all of the "stuff to carry" however I don't have room for some of it.  Probably my "list" is dictated by my level of mechanical ability.  Beyond that I have to rely on a cell phone and credit card for "fixin stuff".

If you have not already, get a couple of rolls of Extreme Tape.  It is touted by some fast-talking pitchman on TV, but you can probably get a better price elsewhere.  Got mine at Harbor Freight for around $4 a roll.  I used it recently on some exterior wiring at the hitch.  It does a nice job of keeping water out of the connection.

After reading the list of what other busnuts carry, my already active paranoia is now in overdrive.  For the trip from frozen Ohio to Arcadia, FL, I may need a spare rabbit's foot.  If you see me there ask about the trip!  Offer me a chair to get me off my shaky legs, and a warm glass of eggnog too.

Merlin

Bus conversion is DONE, and now the home for full-time travel.  Look for me parked in front of your house.
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 11:56:11 AM »

Best spare I know of is spare cash, but if you are driving a bus you probably have already spent that on fuel.  Other good spares are spare ribs, spare time ( before the trip for PM) and a spare keys for when you do a walk around pre trip and lose yours in the snow/sand/mud/grass/trees/pocket/storm drain..etc...

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: