Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 21, 2014, 01:09:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: motorcycle rack  (Read 6642 times)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2010, 04:16:27 AM »

First, let me say, this is not "off topic"

Second, let me say, I know nothing about iggle frames.

Third, I'd be very interested in hearing your plans for the lift. I'm currently working (mostly in my head) on a set of plans for a lift I can mount to the
front of my MC9 which will include a ground level loading and power lifting capability to mount a large bike. I intend to include a roo bar on it for protection
from the rampant roos in Nebraska and Wyoming, as well as a doghouse made from my old front and rear fiberglass caps to cover the bike and keep
the bugs and roo guts off it.

Please keep us posted. Photos would be great!

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 09:05:13 AM »

I have to agree, this isnt off topic. But I think putting the bike in the front as extra protection is very wise indeed!

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 09:19:38 AM »

There is not much that you cannot do with an Eagle frame.  I would not hesitate to hang a motorcycle rack on there.  Just need some common sense fabrication skills.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 09:34:52 AM »

A few years ago I saw one where the guy had used a small electric winch to lower and raise the platform. Semes to me he had the platform with pins so he could un do the pins and then lower the bike to the ground, his was a Harley.
It was a few years ago and I don't remember much about it except I thought it was a good plan.
ED

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 09:39:24 AM »

I'm expecting my lift will be removable to get to the spare tire carrier behind the bumber. Also, I'm anticipating making the lift replace the front bumber when in use, and a set of headlights will be mounted into the lift that can be plugged into the bus. So when the lift is on the bus, it's headlights will be in use. When it's off the bus, the normal headlights will be in use.

I thought about the ramp idea, but I can only imagine the carnage of me trying to drive a 500 lb motorcycle up that ramp and keep it in place while I get it tied down. Not gonna happen. Better to drive it onto a 4" wide piece of channel iron that is flat on the ground, tie it on, and raise it up. At least for me. My motorcycle experience is limited and they
still try to get the best of me when I'm not looking.

craig

Moderator edit - Content from Cody removed as requested.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 12:45:21 PM by HighTechRedneck » Logged

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 09:42:37 AM »

A few years ago I saw one where the guy had used a small electric winch to lower and raise the platform. Semes to me he had the platform with pins so he could un do the pins and then lower the bike to the ground, his was a Harley.
It was a few years ago and I don't remember much about it except I thought it was a good plan.
ED

I've been considering that. I like the idea of using air solenoids off the bus air supply, but a small winch could certainly be made to work.

I'll also be replacing the stock bumper to do this, so it would be relatively easy to attach the winch inside the bumper to protect it from the elements.

Of course, if I do this correctly, there's absolutely no reason I could not modify my rear hitch to accept the lift, also, and I could have a choice which end I want to mount it. Or,
I could build two lifts!  Smiley

« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 09:44:15 AM by gumpy » Logged

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Ace

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 09:53:13 AM »

I probably have what a lot of you guys could use as a foundation. These are motorcycle carriers that are very well built and slightly heavy. Designed to go into a receiver but too heavy for removal. Plans were and have been done with great success is to buy a cheap bolt together trailer usually found at harbor frieght and mount it all together.  If anyone is interested, I can post pictures and deliver to Arcadia. For the cost, you couldn't buy the material!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 10:05:43 AM »

Cody,

My point was that the back end of an Eagle is very substantial.  I don't think you will have any problems with it.  One downside to a rear install is engine access, especially if something happens on the road (with smoke) and you have to get in there in a hurry.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
DEMOMAN

1978 TMC MC8

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 10:07:56 AM »

1987 Goldwing 1200 dry weight is 743#.  Add 50-75# to that for liquids.  That is a lot of weight on the front of the bus not counting the mechanism holding the bike.  MTC, The rear is a better option if it is possible.

DEMOMAN

Like I don't have enough unfinished projects! Undecided

Eric
Sturtevant, WI
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 11:59:58 AM »

I have not seen this done on an Eagle, but I believe it could be. You might have to add some additional bracing to help transfer the weight though to more further forward. I know the frame on ours is pretty stout, but I'm sure a little help wouldn't hurt.

Can't wait to see how this turns out cody! Pictures or it didn't happen! Grin

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 12:32:50 PM »

The only problem I see with it will be the oil your engine puts out. After it gets all over that wing it will look like a Harley. I hope for you it won't make it hard to start. Grin
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 12:37:44 PM »

Isn't anyone concerned about the weight of all this?  My bus weighs around 39000, give or take a black/grey tank.  that's a few pounds over weight for the specs, although not for the tires.  i've already got about 20k on the rear axle and about 12k on the front.

doesn't a way overbuilt rack, with lifts, and a 1000# bike do anything to suspension and some other stresses?

Just asking, i assumed buses were overbuilt for safety, but isn't this stretching any limits?

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 02:22:10 PM »

You guys need to come hang with us for awhile.
Here's pictures of the Harley on the front of a MCI and the Harley carrier on the back of an Eagle. Cool

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 06:09:31 PM »

Hey Cody I found this info in Jims Shepherds story in BCM Dec of 09 . He saysthe weight difference between a 6v92 and a series 60 is about 600 lbs and about 400 lbs with a 8v92. Iam sure that hanging a 800 lbs of motorcycle and iron off the back of an Eagle wouldn't matter much , I would think that if your welder friend would not steer you wrong if he's doing the welding . You might ask Chopper Scot for his ideas , He's a welder and bus owner . Just my thoughts

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 05:35:49 AM »

I probably have what a lot of you guys could use as a foundation. These are motorcycle carriers that are very well built and slightly heavy. Designed to go into a receiver but too heavy for removal. Plans were and have been done with great success is to buy a cheap bolt together trailer usually found at harbor frieght and mount it all together.  If anyone is interested, I can post pictures and deliver to Arcadia. For the cost, you couldn't buy the material!

Well crap! I had plans to come to Arcadia this year, but those plans changed due to a death in the family earlier this year.

Sounds like just the thing for my rack.

Maybe you could send them north with Belfert.   Send me some photos of what you have.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 05:44:00 AM by gumpy » Logged

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: