Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 10:03:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cellphone Ban Bus/Truck Drivers  (Read 7591 times)
blank

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 11:09:43 PM »

The problem isnt the phone, or the backup camera, or the reverse beeper going beep beep beep, or the cute chicky babe putting on eyeliner while driving. Its the idiots they pass licenses out to like candy who shouldnt be allowed behind the wheel of anything. Stricter licensing with more emphasis on actually being able to FULLY control the vehicle your RATED for, would solve 99% of all accidents, simply because the morons who cant drive without hitting anything or running people over will be off the road. We dont need more laws, we need better enforcement of the laws we already have. Why dont they test people for driving on the freeway? How about different levels of license for different ability, make you reach a higher level of competency before allowing you on a freeway? Maybe recurring testing, bi annually?

But Liberals will never understand that, because they cant ever understand what the phrase "personal responsibility" means. Instead of arresting the fork lift driver for backing over an old lady, they go after the fork lift company or the back up camera company. Instead of going after the retard who shoots someone, they go after the gun company. Instead of telling a smoker their a moron, they go after the tobacco companies. Instead of telling the 400 pound guy stuffing his face with McDonalds hes an idiot, they try suing McDonalds. So whats the use in complaining? If some Bus gets into an accident and kills people, they can sue the Bus manufacturer, or the phone provider. Anything they can do to destroy the economy while taxing hard working people to death, and make sure every zombie who can limp gets a license, its all good. Hell, these days you can lie you have a PHD, and engineer sweeping legislation that costs the trucking industry $Billions, and still keep your job.

Maybe someone should do a background check on Lahood and all those other clowns. Fatal bus crashes jumped from 20 - 38? Where did that figure come from, they make it up? The last data I saw compiled by the NTSB was for 2007, 2008 isnt done yet, where did they get 2010 figures? What are the specifics in each accident? Were cellphones the primary cause? What kind of busses, school busses? Is 38 Bus crashes excessive? Do we need to make a major knee jerk reaction over it? What if it drops back to 20 crashes, do we get our phones back? Reinstate our rights? Like that would ever happen without a fight.

Wake up people, its not about saving lives, its about taking away our rights and making the country a police state, so police can stop you for anything and everything under the sun without cause, fine you and imprison you, and the Government can kill every last breath of American Industry by suing companies out of existence. I can talk and drive. In fact, as a student pilot I was able to fly a plane while talking on the radio and manuvering through all three axis, while reading a map and compass, looking out the window to watch where I was going, and monitoring all my flight and engine instruments while talking to my instructor, ALL AT THE SAME TIME. If you cant even drive and talk at the same time, maybe you shouldnt be out on the road with the rest of us.

If they want to ban something, how about banning stupid mothers from driving around with their kids loose in the back seat without a seat belt. How many people do they kill each year?
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 12:49:31 AM »

Art,
Well said, Just like the about 87,000 gun laws on the books. The legislator can not use a current law as a platform for re election, no He must enact "new" laws to save us all & insure his/her perpetuation of a job.

I can't believe the backup camera law, just heard it and shook my head. Why the heck do I need to pay for this when I know GOAL.

Big boobed (either original equipment or store bought) mini skirted girls will always be attracted to the convertibles and the stack of cash the guys have. I have no problems with that, just the animal attraction, I guess.

Very good analogy of piloting a plane, needle, ball, airspeed, altitude, heading, primary, secondary scans, pilotage, scan for traffic, communication and more. The military says it best, Aviate, Navigate, Communicate.

Great comments of all posters here centering on personal responsibility.

I will also agree with Brian, in regard of certain phone calls, In depth concentration calls, I pull over & stop to discuss. Of course, since I am from West Virginia, I need to pull over. The milk, bread, eggs request, I do not.

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 03:30:15 AM »

A couple of comments to your post Brian.
The flying analogy was right on!
When the tobacco companies started putting chemicals in the cigarettes that keep me addicted to them...therefore taking away my ability to stop smoking on my terms...then they deserve to be litigated right out of business!
I do think that the companies that sell on board recording devices have given big bucks to lahood and his ilk.  Have you not heard...they are trying to make EVERY truck in America install on board recorders...when they have said that only 1% need them!  Guess who ends up paying for those cameras?
The back up camera thing...I bet if you follow the money you will find that that lobby gave big bucks to lahood too!  Guess who ends up paying for those back up cameras?

And ya'll please quit pickin' on poor Eddie...he said there was no body around!

Oh yeah...I got in a rather heated argument the other day in Savannah, GA.  They are paving the road down there, (I-95.)  I commented that it was a big waste of tax dollars...that it was another obama stimulus waste...folks got madder that you know what!  The road was one of the smoothest in the country...just ask Kyle...he thought it so smooth he did 80MPH on it...in a truck towing a camper! Grin  It did not need paving!

Meanwhile you would have found Eddie only 50 miles back in South Carolina running in the left lane...BECAUSE THE ROAD IS SO ROUGH!

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 03:47:28 AM »

Here in the west you see it in different states TRUCKS LEFT LANE ONLY speed limit 65 mph for trucks 75 for autos that trooper could write till his arm fell off out here

good luck
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 10:00:12 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Hank

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 09:57:41 AM »

The problem isnt the phone, or the backup camera, or the reverse beeper going beep beep beep, or the cute chicky babe putting on eyeliner while driving. Its the idiots they pass licenses out to like candy who shouldnt be allowed behind the wheel of anything. Stricter licensing with more emphasis on actually being able to FULLY control the vehicle your RATED for, would solve 99% of all accidents, simply because the morons who cant drive without hitting anything or running people over will be off the road. We dont need more laws, we need better enforcement of the laws we already have. Why dont they test people for driving on the freeway? How about different levels of license for different ability, make you reach a higher level of competency before allowing you on a freeway? Maybe recurring testing, bi annually?

But Liberals will never understand that, because they cant ever understand what the phrase "personal responsibility" means. Instead of arresting the fork lift driver for backing over an old lady, they go after the fork lift company or the back up camera company. Instead of going after the retard who shoots someone, they go after the gun company. Instead of telling a smoker their a moron, they go after the tobacco companies. Instead of telling the 400 pound guy stuffing his face with McDonalds hes an idiot, they try suing McDonalds. So whats the use in complaining? If some Bus gets into an accident and kills people, they can sue the Bus manufacturer, or the phone provider. Anything they can do to destroy the economy while taxing hard working people to death, and make sure every zombie who can limp gets a license, its all good. Hell, these days you can lie you have a PHD, and engineer sweeping legislation that costs the trucking industry $Billions, and still keep your job.

Maybe someone should do a background check on Lahood and all those other clowns. Fatal bus crashes jumped from 20 - 38? Where did that figure come from, they make it up? The last data I saw compiled by the NTSB was for 2007, 2008 isnt done yet, where did they get 2010 figures? What are the specifics in each accident? Were cellphones the primary cause? What kind of busses, school busses? Is 38 Bus crashes excessive? Do we need to make a major knee jerk reaction over it? What if it drops back to 20 crashes, do we get our phones back? Reinstate our rights? Like that would ever happen without a fight.

Wake up people, its not about saving lives, its about taking away our rights and making the country a police state, so police can stop you for anything and everything under the sun without cause, fine you and imprison you, and the Government can kill every last breath of American Industry by suing companies out of existence. I can talk and drive. In fact, as a student pilot I was able to fly a plane while talking on the radio and manuvering through all three axis, while reading a map and compass, looking out the window to watch where I was going, and monitoring all my flight and engine instruments while talking to my instructor, ALL AT THE SAME TIME. If you cant even drive and talk at the same time, maybe you shouldnt be out on the road with the rest of us.

If they want to ban something, how about banning stupid mothers from driving around with their kids loose in the back seat without a seat belt. How many people do they kill each year?

Nothing scares the sh** out of me than riding my motorcycle and passing car drivers that are texting, applying makeup, eating lunch, etc. You combine that with the good chance that many people behind the wheel are medicated (legally or otherwise), stressed, angry, etc. We need to make people more personally liable for their actions. Rather than pass a blanket law against cell phone use in your car which is next to useless, make the penalties for irresponsible driving tougher. That should include road rage too. Maybe people would think twice about texting while driving if the accident they caused would cost them their driver's license for 5 years!

And please don't throw blanket accusations at "liberals". You don't know what that means. It's not just "liberals" that cause stupid laws to pass. It's insurance companies, trial lawyers, lobby groups, citizen action groups, politicians on both sides of the aisle, judges, etc. Using words like "liberals" or "conservatives" to place blame does nothing productive other than be derisive and antagonistic. It's A LOT more complex than that. The guilt for stupidity lies on both sides of the political spectrum despite what fox news says.

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2010, 10:29:27 AM »

Here in the west you see it in different states TRUCKS LEFT LANE ONLY speed limit 65 mph for trucks 75 for autos that trooper could write till his arm fell off out here

Certainly not saying this doesn't happen, but I have never personally seen a sign for trucks in the left lane only.  Generally the signs I have seen say trucks in the right lane or right two lanes only.  Many of the interstates in the Chicago area ban trucks from the left lane or lanes.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 10:35:54 AM »

I've caused a few collisions. None involved me using a cell phone.
All were caused by my chosen driving style (which included tailgating & 'working traffic' to pass a few cars) - NOT the "distractions".
Carelessness takes many forms - Go after the cause, NOT the symptom!

A passanger can cause more distraction than simply talking on the phone. It is the fiddling around with the phone that causes problems. Same as looking for that certain CD or tape. Or tuning in that certain radio station.

I know for a fact that I can handle driving & talking on the phone.
I was talking on the phone while driving one day so that left only one hand to steer with. Was driving a RED suburban pulling a new, black dump trailer in the left lane a 4 lane divided road. Someone in a red Kia minivan (he had both hands on the wheel & a front seat passanger) pulls out right in front of me into my lane. If I did nothing, I would have hit his driver door.
I maintained control of my vehicle & phone & I was able to successfully steer around him.

I do not think banning cell phones will work to even reduce collisions.
To effectively reduce collisions, you will have to remove the no-driving fools from behind the wheel.

Good luck with that. . . . .

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2010, 10:38:12 AM »

Hank, you said, "Rather than pass a blanket law against cell phone use in your car which is next to useless"...here is how it will probably go down...the cops will see you talking on the phone, pull you over, demand the phone, look at the time of your last conversation, then write you a ticket.  Sound preposterous...that is where this country is headed under this administration!

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
ktmossman

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2010, 10:44:53 AM »

Shoot....my dad was ticketed in the DFW area on the interstate because he was driving the speed limit.  He actually had his cruise control set at the speed limit and was in the right lane.  The officer cited him for "impeding the flow of traffic" because everyone ELSE was speeding.  And, of course, my dad, being an elected official, wouldn't contest the ticket because it could appear "improper."
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2010, 11:30:14 AM »

All -

After all the BS flying around with this post, go back and read the original message, particularly this line:

"The cellphone proposal is subject to a 60-day comment period before being finalized."

If you don't like it, then get up off your duff and comment.  Here's contact info:

http://www.dot.gov/contact.html

Be aware that handwritten letters carry more weight than emails and/or phone calls.  Especially if they're sent "return receipt requested".  Send it directly to the boss, Ray LaHood.

Before dashing off your letter, on a separate sheet outline the points you want to make first.  Then compose your letter based on these points.  DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST!!!!

Write intelligently, NOT emotionally.

Got it?

Now do it.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

PS:  If this passes, and you didn't make an effort to stop it, then you have no right to complain.

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2010, 11:42:31 AM »

I was on a trip recently and saw a lot of "trucks left lane only" signs, in construction zones. 

Also:  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081201081917.htm

Argue all you want about loss of liberty and how you can tailgate and work traffic while talking on the phone driving a red suburban...   Wink  The science is there, too much of it to ignore or explain away. 

I figure if I don't talk on a cell phone while I drive, I at least improve my chances by 50%!   Grin

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2010, 01:29:03 PM »

Argue all you want about loss of liberty and how you can tailgate and work traffic while talking on the phone driving a red suburban...   Wink  

It was my tailgating & working traffic that caused my collisions. Not the cell phone.

Outlawing cell phones while driving because they contribute to collisions in some cases will lead to even more restrictions - not much of a stretch for them to ban bus conversions because some can't drive them properly.

I've got no problem with some restrictions on cell phone useage, but I've got a huge problem with baning them outright.

Personal responsibility ought to be encouraged. I know when to ignore the phone!
Why should I be penalized because of the actions of a few idiots (OK, probably more than a few Wink )

I always wear my seatbelt, but I believe the seatbelt law is another stupid one.

BTW, I've looked at the parameters of some of the cell phone / collision "studies", there were more than a few great leaps of faith to get to the published conclusions. . . .

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Hank

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 02:11:28 PM »

Hank, you said, "Rather than pass a blanket law against cell phone use in your car which is next to useless"...here is how it will probably go down...the cops will see you talking on the phone, pull you over, demand the phone, look at the time of your last conversation, then write you a ticket.  Sound preposterous...that is where this country is headed under this administration!

Yes, write your politicians...it's like voting, you have no right to complain about who's in office if you didn't vote! I don't agree with the statement "that is where this country is headed under this administration!" per se-this law's coming was inevitable regardless of who was in office. My point is, it's not a partisan issue so don't turn it into one. It's a sign of the times. And I also don't agree that it's BS to discuss this issue here in this thread because the use of cell phones and laws concerning them is very relevant to us as bus drivers, truck drivers, motorcyclists, car drivers, etc. As Brian Elfert pointed out for many of us it's a matter of commerce (survival). I'm a coach mechanic and drive coach occasionally and cell phones are vital for our operation. My brother is a trucker. Cell phones are vital to his operation and sanity. We have drivers that abuse the privilege too. Our coaches are equipped with SmartDrive and some of our drivers have been caught blabbering on the phone while going 80 in the left lane tailgating someone. They get spanked for that! A good example of people being more personally liable for their actions rather than imposing draconian laws that bring down innocent responsible folks.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2010, 02:58:45 PM »

"some of our drivers have been caught blabbering on the phone while going 80 in the left lane tailgating someone. They get spanked for that!"

for which part?  Breaking 4 laws at once?  Breaking three would have been OK?  You guys should listen to yourselves, this is hilarious!

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2010, 03:05:34 PM »

I wish there was some midway point on the issue.   What about on-call doctors?  Do they sit at home just in case because their cell phone doesn't work in the car?

I think there are entirely too many people who spend too much time on the phone in the car.  How many salespeople do you know who spend almost every minute in the car on the phone?  Even worse is when they write things down while driving.  Salespeople still sold stuff before cell phones.  If someone's business model for running their business requires them to be on the phone all the time in their vehicle they need to change their business model.

Cell phones are great tools, but they can be abused too.  There is a expectation today that people be reachable practically 24x7 especially in the business world.  Folks who previously had to be at home when on-call now can actually leave home when on-call.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: