Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 02:45:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Non-Interstate Route to Arcadia ( Jacksonville on) Thoughts  (Read 1082 times)
Ed Brenner

Ignore
« on: December 18, 2010, 03:50:40 PM »

I know what the Gps will do for me, and I don't want to travel the I95 and I4 routes. For those of you who live in Florida or travel it a lot what about this route.
From Jacksonville take A1A to Callahan and pick up  301.

Continue on 301 through Ocala , Wildwood to Sumterville and pick up 471.

Continue on 471 to lumberton and take 98S through Lakeland to Bartow.

Pick up 17S in Bartow continue to Arcadia.

good roads ? Bad route ?

Thanks ED

Ed Brenner
77 Eagle 05  Murrells inlet, SC
 " While We're At It " A Busnut's most costly Phrase !!
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 04:04:03 PM »

Ed,

Thats the route I take.

Other than a little congetion near I-4 in lakeleand and the the group of lights right after that, its a nice drive.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 04:14:58 PM »

I agree with Cliff! When you drop off 471 to 98s i'm about 9 miles south. If your coming thru before the 25th, give a holler. If not, see ya there! Were leaving home day after Christmas and if your there then, join our caravan!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 04:48:45 AM »

Ed,

That route is much better than the Interstate scenery, with the rolling hills and horse country of FL, as you near Ocala.

BUT !!  Slow down & observe the speed limits in Starke, Baldwin, and about 1/2 dozen towns, and you will be fine.

Gary

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
paul102a3

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 05:26:08 AM »

Just be aware, the section of A1A/200 about 6 miles from I-95 to Callahan is under construction. They are widening the roads in that area.  For the most part, it is not a problem but once and a while, they have it down to one lane.

I second Gary's comments but will add one more town to the list, Lawtey. I do trip from Ocala to I-95 once or twice a month and it is a very nice trip. I never exceed the posted speed limit and as a matter of fact, I stay a few miles under just to sure.  I don't think I am exaggerating to say this but in the last 10 trips, I have seen at least one vehicle pulled over in one of the listed towns.

Paul

2001 Prevost XL II
longjohn

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 07:57:49 AM »

Ed,

That route is much better than the Interstate scenery, with the rolling hills and horse country of FL, as you near Ocala.

BUT !!  Slow down & observe the speed limits in Starke, Baldwin, and about 1/2 dozen towns, and you will be fine.

Gary
   Don't forget Waldo!
http://www.speedtrap.org/city/2176/Waldo
Used to stop at hardees at 301&24.   Enjoy your trip  We miss our weekly run down most times empty out Miami area, go out to the Seminole truck plaza, then across the alley , up 29 to Immokalee to load Tomato's  back to the Shore.                                       

John O
Eastern Shore of Maryland.
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 08:42:07 AM »

If you are coming out of the panhandle Rt 19/27 just east of Tallahassee into Rt. alt27 in Chiefland is a very good way to get to Ocalla from there. Been thru there many times and prefer it over 10-E to 75-S.

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 04:40:19 PM »

Watch for the left turn in Lakeland. Its busy with traffic and stop lights.
And yes a much better route than 94/4. Once you clear Bartow its a great ride south to Arcadia.

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: