Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 02:32:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sound system in your bus?  (Read 4535 times)
grantgoold

Ignore
« on: December 22, 2010, 03:35:27 PM »

What are people using as their sound system in their bus? I have really nice speakers that I would like to use but are just a bit too big. Sound a pit more rich than the newer stuff!

Thanks

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 05:22:36 PM »

We use a household surround-sound system with a Bose 5-speaker (plus subwoofer) setup. Sounds great, but 99 times out of 100 I am watching TV with the headphones on because my wife is doing something else.

In the cockpit we have a Pioneer dash unit with XM and a pair of aluminum Realistics from the shack.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
stevet903

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 06:13:01 PM »

I have a Pioneer Avic Z3 in my dash. 

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Pioneer+Avic+z3&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=190828580112444878&ei=4K0STc7qIcG88garl6jvDg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CEsQ8wIwAA#

It's all in one integrated unit - it has a GPS, backup camera input, bluetooth, Sirius/XM input, can play CDs or DVDs, can rip CDs to an internal hard drive, can take an input from the TV or DVD and play through the speakers, can send DVD video to the TV, outputs to speakers, amps, subwoofers, etc.

I used it because I didn't have a whole lot of space up front to get all of those functions in - this does it all in a double DIN size.  There are a few disadvantages to it - the GPS is definitely not state of the art, and updates are available once a year, and the video quality on the built in screen is average (output to a TV is fine though). 

Today there is better technology out there - this unit is about 5 years old now, but if you are tight on space and want to get all of that functionality in a small space, a similar unit might be just the ticket...

Steve
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 06:23:05 PM »

I use a Pioneer car stereo with Pioneer car speakers and a Pioneer amplifier.  I don't have a TV so that isn't an issue.  It is hooked to the house power so it can be used on the road or when parked.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 06:41:48 PM »

I have used a laptop that was also being the GPS and Speed.  Used some old computer speakers that had a subwoofer.  Better stuff out there now. You can store a lot of tunes. Ipad has gyro built-in for gps and dyno apps.

Bose wave radio makes a lot of racket without a lot of space. Check cragslist.  same with their computer speaker.

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 07:07:49 PM »

I have a Pioneer Avic Z3 in my dash. 

Whatever you do, don't buy an Advent double-DIN unit.  I wasted a fair amount of money on one for my car; didn't work, had a h*ll of a time trying to get any service.  After they put me off time and again, it was "oh, the time has expired on your warranty".

Never, ever, buy anything Advent.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 04:13:45 AM »

No dash radio with so many small buttons that you cant see or read them or figure out what does what.

No home stereo that is oversized taking space and outdated the day after you buy it.

Bose wave radio with CD with remote, period. Not the tall one with the sub-woofer box attatched, just the desktop one 4 inches high. No aux speakers either. The sound that comes out of it is unbelievable.

Takes up no space at all. Sits in a cabinate when not in use. Wiring time 1 sec to plug it in. We can move it around even outside if we want.  I can control it from the drivers seat going down the road with the remote. More than loud enough while underway in place of the dash unit. I replaced that opening in the dash with the CB there was no other really good place for it. Win win

Sounds better than many way more expensive and complicated alternatives. A match made in heaven IMO no compromises here.

Did I forget how easy it is on power when on inverter.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 04:22:25 AM by Joe Camper » Logged

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 04:47:05 AM »

Grant,

My PO has Pioneer 6x9 speakers mounted in the bottom of the side overhead storage cabinets. Four in the front, two in the rear area, subwoofer under the dinette seat. Sounds great. Separate single speakers for the TV. Alot more than was required, IMHO.

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
Reddog
1990 Thomas "Hormone Derange" Gunnison, Colorado

1990 Thomas Transitliner, 8.3 Cummins/Allison Auto

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 05:27:47 AM »

I bought an old school NAD receiver off of FleaBay and hooked it to a 5 disc changer, then wired it all to 2 Cerwin-Vega bookshelf speakers. I had a bunch of CD's around that we never use at home anymore, so they get used now when we use the bus. I tapped into the Aux port on the amp and hooked up a long cord with a small headphone jack so I can plug just about any MP3 player into it, as well as the TV audio output or a bluetooth receiver. Sounds great, I agree with the richer sound of larger cabinet style speakers. Up front we have a typical AM/FM/CD in dash that runs thru speakers 2 sets of speakers, The rear channel drives 4 flush mount speakers mounted in the ceiling and the front channel drives 2  surface mount bookshelf style speakers mounted above the pilot and co-pilot seats. Thomas is probably a little noisier going down the road than some of the other units out there (not tons of soft surfaces inside), so I can use the front speakers while going down the road without blasting passengers in the rear out of the rig. Probably overkill, but that's kinda how my build goes. Doug@8000'

"If people don't stare and point as you drive by, keep working."
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 05:49:21 AM »

We have the Pioneer in-dash car radio, which is OK but has the little buttons that you can't see and too many multi-functions problem.  It takes me about 10 minutes to figure out how to change the channel, which at 60 mph is 10 miles that the bus has to steer itself...    ::)thankfully it has a remote control so my wife actually works it.  We have gone to an Ipod thing which I also don't know how to work for all the media storage.  All in all I am pretty jaded by the whole sound system thing...

I went through a long audiophile stage, where class A tube amplifiers and pure analog recording featured large.  I find anything recorded or mixed digitally in the mainstream to be very annoying when I listen to it on a good system, so I don't bother trying to get good sound anymore.  So much seems to be mixed for those little earbuds these days.  I still have the good system in my house, such as it is these days, for when I feel the need for a little Miles or Stan Getz on vinyl...  Some of the early or current AAD CD's are pretty good sound-wise, too.  Oddly, my wife and I are really trying to get more current with what we are listening to, I am currently shopping for the new Crystal Bowersox CD...  I have  Ronnie Woods "I Feel Like playing" for my next road trip...

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 05:55:37 AM »

I would go for the automotive type you can do so much more with the newer auto type systems nowdays and have the same or better sound as a home type we have a 10 disk changer with Ipod, Bluetooth,etc( I haven't use all the features yet) and remote forget the brand but a nice system put together by Crutchfield for us has great sound with no giant speakers,I would check with Crutchfield  about what would work best with your speakers that you would like to keep that is their gig and they are good at it   

good luck
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 06:05:27 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 07:41:18 AM »

We have a Bose sound system with the tiny speakers. Sounds awesome on movies.

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
scenicruiser997

Owner of two Scenicruisers and one PD4905 Buffalo

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 09:07:20 AM »

I would have to agree with Ruthi, As her and Ken installed the small Bose Cubes in the 4905 and they sound awsome going down the road or watching movies.

Aaron
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 09:28:02 AM »

Has the Bose system changed for the cube speakers ours at the house has a big box I call it as I don't know the name for it to run those speakers

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 09:42:44 AM »

Has the Bose system changed for the cube speakers ours at the house has a big box I call it as I don't know the name for it to run those speakers

Clifford, AFAIK all the Bose surround-sound systems use the big box, which contains the subwoofer and audio bridge.  Bose made several models; some require external power and some do not.

We have the unpowered (5+1) version, with five of the little cubes plus the big subwoofer.  The subwoofer is actually mounted behind the TV so it is completely out of sight.

Bose is happy to sell you the little cubes by themselves, but they really can not reproduce bass correctly without the subwoofer.  The audio bridge filters the very low frequencies out before sending the signal to the cubes, which is why all the connections from your receiver go to the subwoofer box first.  The lowest frequencies from all five channels are combined and sent to the subwoofer.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: