Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 04:11:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I use marine 3 wire cable or seperate wires for 110V AC?  (Read 2569 times)
belfert

« on: September 04, 2006, 06:49:50 PM »

I need to order more wire for my bus.  Any reasons not to use the three wire marine cable (like romex) for 110V AC instead of three seperate wires in a conduit?

I really need to save time to get my conversion usable in three weeks and the romex would be faster.  It would also make life easier as the cable is more flexible than conduit.

Brian Elfert
Ace

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 07:02:15 PM »

Brian I would think you could use the marine wire IF it's stranded. IF it's solid LIKE ROMEX, then I would think it wouldn't be real safe! Now I am the first to admit, I'm not an authority on this but from what I've learned from coming here and from friends like Jack Conrad this is all I can offer. Order the wire that is right and you'll be money ahead, though not done as quick as you want!

Ace
belfert

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 07:47:28 PM »

Brian I would think you could use the marine wire IF it's stranded. IF it's solid LIKE ROMEX, then I would think it wouldn't be real safe! Now I am the first to admit, I'm not an authority on this but from what I've learned from coming here and from friends like Jack Conrad this is all I can offer. Order the wire that is right and you'll be money ahead, though not done as quick as you want!

The marine 3 wire cable is stranded and tinned like the regular marine wire.

Brian Elfert
Ace

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 08:01:56 PM »

Brian, again not being an authority on the subject but your description tells me that yes it will be just fine!
Others may have a btter opinion!

Ace
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 04:54:33 AM »

Brian,
    I use individual wires in the plastic flexible conduit, but that is just "my way". I have heard that the marine cable is not UL approved, but it is probably as good as or better than the UL approved "romex".  There is always a discussion about insurance not paying if you have a fire because you used marine (non UL approved) cable. The conduit does offer a little more protection for the wire, but either should work.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
belfert

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 05:19:19 AM »

Brian,
    I use individual wires in the plastic flexible conduit, but that is just "my way". I have heard that the marine cable is not UL approved, but it is probably as good as or better than the UL approved "romex".  There is always a discussion about insurance not paying if you have a fire because you used marine (non UL approved) cable. The conduit does offer a little more protection for the wire, but either should work.  Jack

Most marine wire wire seems to be UL listed these days.  Waytek's marine wire is under UL 1426.  The stuff I bought from Skycraft Surplus has a UL listing sticker on it, but doesn't list the UL number.

I've never heard of a insurer not paying for a fire unless it was arson.  They will probably drop your insurance if it was something stupid.

Brian Elfert
4104bigred

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 06:04:52 AM »

Brian  we just searched for marine cable for our 04 and this company had the best price by far on the stuff and fast easy shipping

heres a link go to the specials page

http://www.terminalsupplyco.com/default.asp

chris
belfert

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 11:39:30 AM »

Brian  we just searched for marine cable for our 04 and this company had the best price by far on the stuff and fast easy shipping

Damn, I read this about five minutes after I had ordered my cable from Skycraft Surplus earlier this morning.  I could have saved about $30.

Brian Elfert
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 04:29:10 PM »

Brian,
     This question has been discussed many times before.  And generated considerable controversy. To summarise:  The marine cable is NOT approved, under the National Electrical Code (NEC), for use in an RV.  While it may in fact be more suitable it is NOT approved.  Solid wire 'romex' is approved as is stranded 'thnn' in conduit.  The choice is up to you.  I chose to use the plastic flex conduit and thnn for most of my wiring but I have  a few pieces of romex running up walls were I wanted the 1/4" thickness.  Regardless of which you chose be sure to use the proper termination technique.  It is unaceptable and unsafe to simply wrap stranded wire around a screw and tighten the screw (at an outlet or switch).  If you use stranded wire you'll need to crimp terminals on for these kinds of connections.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120   
Ace

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 04:48:47 PM »

Jerry, all of my wiring is stranded and all of it is wrapped around the terminal screws at all outlets and switches! Is this wrong?

Ace
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 05:09:53 PM »

Oh Geez....

Where's my flack jacket and helmet?Huh

here we go....

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 05:26:27 PM »

Ace,
     Yes it's wrong and it's unsafe to wrap stranded wire around a terminal screw.  The problem is the connection will not stay 'tight' under the least bit of temperature cycling which may be due to heating caused by current flow.  Once the connection is loose it can easily start a fire.  Please invest in a good crimper and a couple boxes of crimp on terminals and re do all those connections.   An electrical fire due to this 'mistake'  would be far more expensive.
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 05:54:27 PM »

I used romex for most 110VAC.  It makes a nice connection at the terminals.   If romex is anchored well, I'll be dead (not due to electrical fire) before the stuff "work" hardens and cracks in a bus chassis.   Heat pumps are wired with 12g  MC..which is stranded.   All outlets are wired with romex.  All 12VDC is stranded.  And, the inverter feeds and returns to the sub panel are stranded.      
I'll be the first to post any issues I have with romex.   Some folk will cheat after growing tired of running miles of stranded cable bundling 3 leads with every run...make that "home run."   Confusion may create some odd wiring outcomes. 
Stranded wire on some 110VAC components requires a ton of work to make fast.  As long as your wiring is properly anchored, and run in something to prevent chaffing, the circuits are not overloaded, and all circuits are properly fused...fire from wiring is unlikely.   One thing about romex, is that it will always have a good bond, and neutral.  
Another thing is before you spend tons of time and money on stranded wire, check out some of the expensive motorhomes and see what was used to wire the 110VAC circuits
After spending too many years in the marine business...I found that stranded boat style wiring has its issues too.  
Please be advised that due to my use of romex, no offense will be taken if ya'll that have romex free coaches wish to park like....a few feet further from my coach.   I like a large open campsite!  Wink
my dos centavos!
JR    

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Ace

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 06:22:48 PM »

Well now, I wonder if I can a refund on my rally fees from Timmonsville and Arcadia? I don't think anyone would pit next to me knowing how unsafe my coach is and I know I don't have near enough time to change it out by then which by the way is one month from today!

Oh well, if not, money well spent! Welcome to bussing! Smiley

Ace
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 06:46:38 PM »

Well now, I wonder if I can a refund on my rally fees from Timmonsville and Arcadia? I don't think anyone would pit next to me knowing how unsafe my coach is and I know I don't have near enough time to change it out by then which by the way is one month from today!
Oh well, if not, money well spent! Welcome to bussing! Smiley
Ace

Nope.  No refunds.  You just gotta be there.  We pays our money and we takes our chances!
I'll park next to you...no problem.   My bus will bring...."flavor" to the neighborhood... Roll Eyes
See ya, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: