Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 01:41:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which color is ground on Fantastic Vent?  (Read 1437 times)
belfert

« on: September 04, 2006, 08:24:30 PM »

I have two Fantastic Vents.  One uses white and black for DC wires.  Which is ground?  I am getting confllicting answers.  Some say white and some say black.

Brian Elfert
Devin & Amy
FMCA#377731

1980 MC9 8v71 4spd man. Fulltiming family of 6

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 09:01:43 PM »

Brian,
I used white.
The way I found out for sure was to wire it then turn on the switch for out. If it pulls the air out, it's right.
HTH
Devin

Devin, Amy, and the kids!!
Happily Bussin'!!
musicman

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 09:31:49 PM »

I was always taught one little rule and its worked so far..If it begins with the letter B as in Black,Blue,Brown its the hot side
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 10:03:49 PM »

The orange installation instruction sheet that came with my three 6000s states the following...

Wire Color Code
Black: Positive or Fused
White: Negative or Ground

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 03:32:52 AM »

Brian,

White.

Nick

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
belfert

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 05:29:10 AM »

The orange installation instruction sheet that came with my three 6000s states the following...

Wire Color Code
Black: Positive or Fused
White: Negative or Ground

Interesting.  Why is black considered ground when the colors are red/black and white considered ground when the colors are white/black?

I used black/red for all of my 30 amp DC stuff.  I have a bunch of 12 AWG wire that is white and black I want to use for DC, but I don't really want a different color ground.

Brian Elfert
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 07:30:59 AM »

Typically in A/C circuts, white is negative, green is ground.  To differentiate from A/C, D/C circuts use black as ground, white or red as positive (or any other color than black).  Bottom line-hook it up and see which way the fan rotates.  Then you'll have it right.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 11:00:04 AM »

I believe you will find that the fan will rotate in the correct direction regardless of how the power is hooked up. To reverse the rotation of a DC  fan (unless it is designed to be reverse operated) you have to tear into it and reverse the connection of the field or armature leads to get it to run in the opposite direction.

Regarding AC circuits, I have never heard of a negative connection. White is neutral, green is ground and black is hot.

Richard

Typically in A/C circuts, white is negative, green is ground.  To differentiate from A/C, D/C circuts use black as ground, white or red as positive (or any other color than black).  Bottom line-hook it up and see which way the fan rotates.  Then you'll have it right.  Good Luck, TomC
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 11:04:33 AM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 02:49:19 PM »

Ordinarily, I would agree with Richard about reversing the direction of a DC motor. That would be if it had a field winding. But, I am betting that the motor is a permanent magnet motor, so reversing the power in will reverse the rotation.

One clue is that the motors do not come with four wires, which you would need in order to make these reversible by throwing a switch, if they had a field winding. The other clue is that they are very low current motors.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 03:33:05 PM »

I'm willing to bet a nickle that that revversing the power will not reverse the rotation! LOL
Richard

Ordinarily, I would agree with Richard about reversing the direction of a DC motor. That would be if it had a field winding. But, I am betting that the motor is a permanent magnet motor, so reversing the power in will reverse the rotation.

One clue is that the motors do not come with four wires, which you would need in order to make these reversible by throwing a switch, if they had a field winding. The other clue is that they are very low current motors.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Devin & Amy
FMCA#377731

1980 MC9 8v71 4spd man. Fulltiming family of 6

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 07:48:17 PM »

Richard,
Showing my ignorance here, But I did hook up my fantastic fan backward. It did run backward. I have the model with the rain sensor and it has the reversible option. I mistakenly thought that black was the ground and hooked it up. When I turned it on I had to rewire it due to the fact that when the fan was switched to OUT it pulled air in. I tried to convince the wife that OUT meant outside air coming in, but she made me change it anyway.
Devin

P.S.
Where's my nickel? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Devin, Amy, and the kids!!
Happily Bussin'!!
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 10:44:53 PM »

Please see the caviat in my earlier response:
(unless it is designed to be reverse operated)
[/b]
Richard

Richard,
Showing my ignorance here, But I did hook up my fantastic fan backward. It did run backward. I have the model with the rain sensor and it has the reversible option. I mistakenly thought that black was the ground and hooked it up. When I turned it on I had to rewire it due to the fact that when the fan was switched to OUT it pulled air in. I tried to convince the wife that OUT meant outside air coming in, but she made me change it anyway.
Devin

P.S.
Where's my nickel? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: