Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 03:09:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My DD-3 brake chamber experience.......(1964 PD4106 GM Bus)....  (Read 5738 times)
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 06:07:19 AM »

Thanks for documenting this, Billy.  Although my bus is different in lots of details, it's really good to see what other people have done -- experience is the best education (esp. other people's experience).

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 06:52:38 AM »

Fantastic job of documenting the job! The rest of us need to take note and make an attempt to do the same when we have repairs to make. If you don't want to go back to DD3s, now would be a good time to move your mounts and go with common spring brakes.

Photo of my setup:

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
busenthusiast

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 06:59:39 AM »

I thought long and hard about whether I wanted to convert to spring brakes. When I talked with Luke, he recommended that I stay with the DD-3's. That way I won't have any re-plumbing to worry about. Hopefully when I rebuild these, I won't have to worry about them for quite some time.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 07:01:57 AM »

LED headlamp, one of the best tools ever made, as good as a third hand:

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
rampeyboy

1954 Scenicruiser PD4501-227

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 07:18:26 AM »

Even looking at the pictures I do not feel comfortable being able to recognize a DD3 versus a Spring brake chamber. Are they marked "DD3" or "Spring brake". I'd like more confidence in my ability to idenifty one before I started disassembling it!

Boyce

Boyce Rampey
Columbia, SC
Scenicruiser 227
busenthusiast

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 07:32:14 AM »

rampeyboy, although I haven't seen one personally (spring brake chamber), I've been told that you can tell the difference by counting the number of air lines that go to your chamber. DD-3's use three air lines and springs use two.....

Barn Owl, you're dead right about the headlamp....
Red Rider
God put me here to accomplish certain things--- I'm so far behind I'll never die.

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 07:37:14 AM »

What a great post. Thanks for the "crash course". Invaluable info for my 06. I'm sure you could have used the time you spent documenting this for your own needs. This is truly a very unselfish as well as generous deed. I for one can't thank you enough.

Mike AKA; Red Rider 4106-1885
MikeH

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 07:39:25 AM »

Quote from: bwze
I sure hope this helps someone in the future. I plan to do this with all the big jobs I end up doing on the bus.....like replacing air bags.....

Billy,

Maybe you want to start your own website to post pictures and writeups about what you have done. Several on here have done that and it is a great way to find a specific project. Check out Gumpy's site, it has lots of his projects written up like you are doing here.

Thanks for all the info in this thread.

Mike

"It just ain't fair! How come the good guys always win?" -Bad Jack Cutter
busenthusiast

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 08:02:55 AM »

Mike, I actually started a blog a couple of days ago for just this purpose. As soon as I can get some of this done, I plan of formatting the whole procedure, as best I can, and publishing it. When I get it finished, I'll link to it my signature.....
gus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 01:23:07 PM »

As a new owner of DD3s I want to be sure I understand this correctly - the lack of PO maintenance was in not greasing the rollers??

Your photos make the DD3 roller setup much clearer, the Manual cross section makes it a bit hard to understand.

Thanks for your well done photos.

It will be interesting to see your bill for parts vs a rebuilt assembly!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
busenthusiast

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 03:39:10 PM »

Gus, I can't say that the PO's lack of greasing the rollers was a contributing factor to the condition they were in (mainly because there isn't a zerk fitting to apply grease to the rollers), but definitely that he did not notice that there was not a boot installed that allowed the rollers to be in direct contact with atmospheric conditions. This was, IMHO, not allowable....but I digress.

Now I know a lot of you out there are really gonna jump on me for this, but I made this decision based on close and careful observation, a small discussion with Luke and lastly, monetary reasons. I've decided not to replace the diaphragms in this actuator.......Now for my reasons. The diaphragms, even though they look bad in the photos I posted, are actually not in bad shape at all. They are still very pliable and the "cracks" that appear to be present in the photos are actually wrinkles. When examined closely, they have not started to crack at all. This along with the fact that it was gonna be over double the cost to purchase and replace them.....(sure hope you guys/gals don't jump on me too bad). I ended up getting all the smaller parts that were corroded beyond use and a few of the items I damaged during removal, but opted to pass on the rubber. My cost went from $150 (without diaphragm) to $325 (with diaphragm), and while I'm not really living in the poor house, I definitely consider it in my neighborhood. I will keep up with a stringent PM schedule and at the first signs of damage, I will opt to replace them then. I only plan to use this coach one weekend a month at the most, so I felt this was justification enough to make what some may consider a rash decision.

OK, so let me have it.......... Grin
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2010, 04:07:22 PM »

You have to do what is best for you, but me for a 150 bucks in parts that baby would have spring brakes, the service brake diaphragm on springs are 7 to 15 bucks 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2010, 04:09:11 PM »

Billy, I will not jump on you, but something seems wrong with the pricing.  I don't have any experience with DD3 diaphragms, but they sure don't look significantly different from spring brakes or typical air brake chamber diaphragms.  I think you can buy diaphragms for less than $20 for air chambers.

If they are really that expensive, and IF you have very carefully inspected them, then go for it.  On air brake chambers, I always tell folks to very carefully check the cans, as they can have fatigue cracks and fail drastically.

Jim

Edit:  Like others, I would love to see you go to spring brakes, but understand the plumbing issue.

The more I think about the corrosion in your chambers, the more concerned I become about the chamber integrity. 

I did a quick search and found these diaphragms:

http://store.valueweb.com/servlet/busfixx0/Detail?no=23

Don't know if they apply or not.

Jim

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:22:30 PM by rv_safetyman » Logged

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
í85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2010, 04:22:28 PM »

They are that expensive Mohawk has the best price and they are not cheap there either that is why most of the older Eagles are changed to spring buy one from Jerry Jefferson he will make you pay attention or give you a heart attack lol

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2010, 04:45:32 PM »

Sorry to say again but I just have to.

Just a great example of how to take photo's

Many thanks

Lonnie

1976 4905