Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 20, 2014, 05:31:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you could order a factory fresh shell ... what would it be?  (Read 2876 times)
JerryH

« on: April 15, 2006, 02:15:15 PM »

Ok, so driving back from Myrtle Beach, SC the other day ... I began to daydream ... mile marker after mile marker.  This after buying a Wednesday night PowerBall ticket and simply wondering -- "What if?"

Ok, well right off the bat I pretty much decided that I'd buy a new shell.  I'd order one from the factory -- the way I wanted it.  Then I'd send it to a Professional converter (THE "WHO" IS THE SECOND QUESTION).  Yeah, why not!

Ok, so although Prevost is the popular conversion coach, I'd still order an MCI.  Why?  Well, after 3 MCI's, I like MCI.  Kinda like if you're a Ford man ... you continue to order Ford. Whether right or wrong.

Ok, so then an MCI.  Which one though.  Well, although popular ... I am NOT one for an all fiberglass exterior.  I like polished stainless.  I like that classic look.  Beyond that, you've got all the other bells and whistles, which I may or may not go for.  I do like a bus that looks like a bus.  I (personally) don't need the burled wood dashboard and hoop-de-doos there.  I wouldn't go for the steerable tag axle.  Although I do hear from drives they make a difference.  I have yet to hear one driver tell me they "don't" have some sort of problems with them.

So it'd either be a E-4500 LX http://www.mcicoach.com/newcoaches/ConversionCoaches/conversionE4500.htm#TWO

or a D-4505 http://www.mcicoach.com/newcoaches/ConversionCoaches/conversionE4500.htm#TWO

I've always liked the MCI 102DL3 and hence my interest in the D-4505.

Then the question comes in at which engine.  The DD S-60 or the CAT C-13?  Anyone have experience with either.  Although I realize that Detroit is probably more common among coach owners and Mfg's, the CAT does pique my interest.

Beyond that, there's one other (maybe) little detail I like.  Blue Birds (if I am not mistaken) offers the exhaust through the roof.  This I think is a nice detail/ option.  I've never seen this on any factory MCI.  Is it possible or something you think they'd offer a Lottery winner with a bag of cash wanting to order a new shell?   Smiley

Ok, well enough of the day dreaming, back to the real world and work.

So, your turn.  Share your, "IF I WON THE LOTTERY, I'D ORDER A ____________ BUS SHELL" idea.

Jerry H.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 02:30:22 PM »

Jerry,

I would pick an EL3, I like the body style.

DREAMING is the only way that dreams can come true!!!

Keep Dreaming!

Nick Badame-

Ok, so driving back from Myrtle Beach, SC the other day ... I began to daydream ... mile marker after mile marker.  This after buying a Wednesday night PowerBall ticket and simply wondering -- "What if?"

Ok, well right off the bat I pretty much decided that I'd buy a new shell.  I'd order one from the factory -- the way I wanted it.  Then I'd send it to a Professional converter (THE "WHO" IS THE SECOND QUESTION).  Yeah, why not!

Ok, so although Prevost is the popular conversion coach, I'd still order an MCI.  Why?  Well, after 3 MCI's, I like MCI.  Kinda like if you're a Ford man ... you continue to order Ford. Whether right or wrong.

Ok, so then an MCI.  Which one though.  Well, although popular ... I am NOT one for an all fiberglass exterior.  I like polished stainless.  I like that classic look.  Beyond that, you've got all the other bells and whistles, which I may or may not go for.  I do like a bus that looks like a bus.  I (personally) don't need the burled wood dashboard and hoop-de-doos there.  I wouldn't go for the steerable tag axle.  Although I do hear from drives they make a difference.  I have yet to hear one driver tell me they "don't" have some sort of problems with them.

So it'd either be a E-4500 LX http://http://www.mcicoach.com/newcoaches/ConversionCoaches/conversionE4500.htm#TWO

or a D-4505 http://http://www.mcicoach.com/newcoaches/ConversionCoaches/conversionE4500.htm#TWO

I've always liked the MCI 102DL3 and hence my interest in the D-4505.

Then the question comes in at which engine.  The DD S-60 or the CAT C-13?  Anyone have experience with either.  Although I realize that Detroit is probably more common among coach owners and Mfg's, the CAT does pique my interest.

Beyond that, there's one other (maybe) little detail I like.  Blue Birds (if I am not mistaken) offers the exhaust through the roof.  This I think is a nice detail/ option.  I've never seen this on any factory MCI.  Is it possible or something you think they'd offer a Lottery winner with a bag of cash wanting to order a new shell?   Smiley

Ok, well enough of the day dreaming, back to the real world and work.

So, your turn.  Share your, "IF I WON THE LOTTERY, I'D ORDER A ____________ BUS SHELL" idea.

Jerry H.

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
phil4501

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 02:50:25 PM »

A brand new scenicruiser...you guys are dreamin' too.
Dallas

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 03:22:36 PM »

I wouldn't and couldn't get a Brand new Scenic, but I would have two rebuilt from the ground up. One seated, and one as a conversion coach. Of course, they'd have to have consecutive VIN numbers. LOL

By the way Jerry,
YOU came to Myrtle Beach and didn't stop over here in Florence to say HI?
For SHAME!!!

Dallas

Shame.........Shame..........Shame...........Shame..........Shame..........Shame..........[/b]
JerryH

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 06:42:35 PM »

Hey Dallas:

Sorry!  Sad   Florence, off I-95?  How far are you from the Latta Flying "J"??
Went down with 8 people -- my family and another.  It was a stretch for me to stop at Ft. Bragg and visit my old stomping ground.  Wow, things have REALLY changed there.

We head south (to FL) every November for Thanksgiving.  Let me know where you are and will make every effort to swing by.  In fact, open to any other BusNuts between PA and FL.  Not too far off the beaten path of I-95 ... let me know, we'll try and swing by.  Smiley

Thanks Dallas!
Jerry H.

By the way Jerry,
YOU came to Myrtle Beach and didn't stop over here in Florence to say HI?
For SHAME!!!

Dallas
centrix29
Prevost Proud

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 06:54:12 PM »

Other interesting shells would be the new model Setra.  It's high on looks, driving comfort and storage.  I also like the J model bus from MCI.  It's a lot like the E model but it is simpler (less electronics) and stiffer on the road just like the DL.  You could also look at the new X3-45 from Prevost.  It's all new and just come out in January.  My choice would go to a coin toss between an H3-45 and an E model MCI.  Both are great as far as I am concerned.  I have had a chance to drive all these busses exept the X3-45.

Good luck dreaming!

Pat
Danny

87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 07:06:55 PM »

Ok - the 4500 XL would be hard to beat in my way of thinking.....  Now you've done it - I won't be able to sleep a wink tonight for day dreaming   Roll Eyes

Danny

I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)
ChuckMC9

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 07:55:52 PM »

Modern framework with classic Flxible looking body. (using modern materials.) Smiley
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 11:34:27 PM »

I'd buy a 40ft D series MCI.  More tradional looking, simpler.  Would get the Series 60 although the C13 isn't bad, you'll get a tad better fuel mileage with the Series 60 (is still the fuel mileage champ in the trucking world).  If I could get it in a 2 axle, I would. You don't need the tag since you're not hauling all the bodies and cargo.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2006, 09:14:25 AM »

Even if I won the lottery I wouldn't buy a new shell.  I am perfectly happy with my bus, if I won the lottery the most I would do is hire someone to help me finish the interior trim work.  I thought we converted buses because we like to do it and enjoy the hobby.  Buying a new shell and having someone else do the conversion for you takes all the fun out of it, unless you like trying to figure out how everything works and having to take the bus in everytime something goes wrong.

--Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
JerryH

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2006, 06:57:17 PM »

Geoff:

Well, personally ... given the choice, I'd rather drive it and take fun trips than build it.  The conversion process is one of necessity -- having hit a BIG lottery, yeah ... I'd be buying a new coach and then choosing my converter carefully.  In any case, my desired conversion would observe the K.I.S.S. rule and I'd avoid those unnecessary bells and whistles.  Air operated doors -- nope.  Computer operated everything else -- No.  Night vision -- what?

Yeah, I'd relax ... get a coach done nicely and quickly ... then travel.  Can't get simplier than that!

Jerry H.

Even if I won the lottery I wouldn't buy a new shell.  I am perfectly happy with my bus, if I won the lottery the most I would do is hire someone to help me finish the interior trim work.  I thought we converted buses because we like to do it and enjoy the hobby.  Buying a new shell and having someone else do the conversion for you takes all the fun out of it, unless you like trying to figure out how everything works and having to take the bus in everytime something goes wrong.
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 05:18:48 AM »

Winning the lottery and  being able to kick back and enjoy rather than work sounds great!  But I must be hyperactive because everytime I go camping I enjoy driving the bus, but get bored sitting around the campground and start finding things to adjust or fix on the bus.  I visited Quartzsite earlier this year and saw hundreds of RVs camped everywhere and started wondering just what do these people do camped out in the desert all winter? 

--Geoff

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 05:46:26 AM »

Winning the lottery and  being able to kick back and enjoy rather than work sounds great!  But I must be hyperactive because everytime I go camping I enjoy driving the bus, but get bored sitting around the campground and start finding things to adjust or fix on the bus.  I visited Quartzsite earlier this year and saw hundreds of RVs camped everywhere and started wondering just what do these people do camped out in the desert all winter? 

--Geoff
Wow Geoff. You and I are in the same pickle. We tried full timing for a few months and I about went bananas with nothing to do but sit. Gave it up and decided to retire to the mountains and help raise the great grand kids.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
JerryH

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 07:48:45 AM »

Geoff:

I agree, I am not one of those park it for any length of time people.  With kids that are 8 and 12 -- we're still movers and shakers.  Not suggesting however that retirees aren't movers and shakers Smiley

We love to travel.  We love to be at this location a few days ... another location a few days, etc.  Love "doing our own thing" ... but with so many project "irons in the fire", it'd be nice to pass the baton and have something actually 100% complete. 

Or ... to satisfy that urge to work on, or tinker with, something ... I guess I could ask the converter (if this actually became a reality) to leave some wires loose and leave me the "punch-list".  Smiley

Besides that, you wouldn't find me parked in a desert either.  Give me the mountains and ocean.  To add to the conversion 'wish-list', I'd have a decent sized trailer suitable of housing a car for 4 people and other various toys for the active (jet-ski(s), quad(s), bicycles, etc.).  Hey, if you're going to think big for the winnings of some crazy multi-million lottery, might as will think BIG (excluding the air-op doors and otehr froo-froo).

Hey, dreaming is free.
Jerry H.

--Geoff
BJW

Always Follow Your Dream!!!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2006, 02:36:46 PM »

Well...I guess if I'm dreaming of hitting it big, I'd have a custom bus built from the ground up.  This bus would not only have at least three slides, but a rear roof system that would extend upwards, when parked, to create a master suite/loft with french doors located in the front of it so I could walk out onto a deck, from the second floor, that is integrated into the roof.   It would be a kind of convertable two story bus with an observation deck.  Cheesy   

Falling back into reality, I would love to have a J4500.  It's one of those MCI things I guess. Roll Eyes

But if I was realistic of what it would really be like to win the lottery, I guess I would have someone take me to the local IRS tax office and  give the IRS there share and see if I had enough money left to get a cab home.     Sad

Always Follow Your Dreams!!!

BJW
Gus the Bus
Federal Way, WA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: