Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 21, 2014, 12:25:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big trip in three weeks. Lots to do on bus!  (Read 1100 times)
belfert

« on: September 04, 2006, 07:01:05 PM »

I will be leaving for my big 4,000 mile trip in three weeks from Thursday.  I still have a ton of work to do.  I have been a bit lazy and only working 2 or 3 hours on weeknights and maybe 6 to 8 hours each day on weekends.  I am going to start trying to get in 4 hours on weeknights and 10 hours or more on weekends to get done in time.  I have one guy that has helped me almost every weekend day and that has helped greatly.

The only thing I have done is mechanical.  Everything else is half done.  I really need to get the electrical, bathroom, bunks, and seats done before we leave.  I can't do mattresses on the floor as there isn't enough floor space for all the passengers.

I really hope I can pull off a miracle!

Brian Elfert
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 08:12:08 PM »

Three weeks ago I was planning a trip for this coming weekend. I had, what I thought, were several small doable jobs that I needed to complete before I could take the bus. Well, do to what seemed like endless interruptions, distractions, and just bad weather the bus is not going. Those weeks disappeared almost as fast as my paycheck. I am doing two things here: First, I am kicking myself publicly for not being ready. Second, I want someone to not do what I did so I am offering my encouragement. Keep us posted on your progress. My kids saw the movie RV and they are getting a big kick out of singing the “Tird” song at my expense. I can relate a little too how main character that Robin Williams played must have felt. We are all having fun, so I can take a little ribbing.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 03:41:40 AM »

Hi Brian,

You Can Do It.....    You sure have the [know how] backing from the board! All you have to do now is Everything.

Just quit thinking about it and Chug along, You'll get it done...

We are awaiting a full play by play update of the 1st trip.

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 07:35:44 AM »

Brian- there will always be another job that has to be done on the bus.  It is just at what point do you draw the line and decide that the bus is ready for the trip?  Number one is that the mechanicals are up to snuff, then worry about sleeping and such.  Maybe enlist some help?  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 09:19:35 AM »

Hey Brian,

I just had a brainstorm! You've said the guys who'll be using the bus with you haven't been able to help with the bus so far, right? Well draw up the plans for the bunks and other easy to do items & figure out what materials will be required! Get the materials load 'em in the back of the bus, leave 'm there! Then do yer electrical NOW! Then gather up your cordless tools and corded too! Put them in the bus, go to pick up yer "buddies" show them your plans for the bunks and explain you've bought the bus, you've stripped the bus, you've gotten the bus finished this far (and this is as far as you could finish it!) and now it's time for them to help assemble the bunks, & etc. on the road if they desire a place to sleep! If not point out there will be plenty of room to sleep under the bus as a Dina doesn't have air suspension to "settle" ! I'm sure if you have the plans, materials, & tools that they'll jump in an help build the bunks and what ever else is necessary to survive the trip!   
Just a thought ! And I assure you I'd do it! BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
belfert

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 09:35:52 AM »

Brian- there will always be another job that has to be done on the bus.  It is just at what point do you draw the line and decide that the bus is ready for the trip?  Number one is that the mechanicals are up to snuff, then worry about sleeping and such.  Maybe enlist some help?  Good Luck,

Mechanicals are 100% except for getting the steering aligned so it doesn't wander.  I also have to install a replacement baggage door latch and replacement engine door latch.

Brian Elfert
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 10:30:27 AM »

Ditto what others have said.  We bought a "completed" "professionally converted" coach 3 years ago.  I have yet to run out of things that need to be done but we keep using it.  The mechanical & safety items HAVE to be done.  Everything else is a "should be done".

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 03:54:47 PM »

Get the double Air matress from wally world for yourself, it's quite comfy.  Tell them its your bed and you sleep in the buff so keep out. Wink

the rest of them can use hammocks, there's your upper level bunks.

Strap in the fridge,

Hang string with discount store sheets for walls.

Decided on the minimum and get that done first,  but by all means Go as long as the bus will stop and go.  Three weeks probably wont finish it, but remeber it's never finished any way so you'll have to go as is.

good luck

Cool

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: