Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 10:52:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speedco truck lube facility gripe  (Read 1154 times)
bigtim44

Red buses go faster!

Ignore
« on: September 05, 2006, 08:33:40 PM »

Last year I used the speedco truck lube center in Las Vegas to get the oil and filters changed on our bus.They did a great job used the correct oil and greased all the suspension zerk's checked the hub oil etc ,diff oil.
  On our road trip last month I spotted a speedco in Ripon Ca. So we decided to go in and get a full service done on our bus.
   So they drop the oil out and pull the filter,then the guy taking down info asks what kind of oil I want put in,my reply was Rotella T 30W .To which his reply was ..we dont carry that oil.So what 30w do you have?   .....we dont carry any 30W or any other single weight oils.By now I'm getting a bit annoyed.
   I ended up using my own 2 gallons of spare oil and walking across to the nearby flying J and buying the rest of the oil in quarts to top off the motor(2 carrier bags full).
I must of looked kind of p***ed off coz the chap behind the counter reduced the full service charge with oil analysis from about $190 to $51.
 Needless to say I'll not be using speedco again.

Basalt Colorado
1986 TMC 102A3,6V92,Auto 740,conversion in progress.
http://redbusconversion.blogspot.com/
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 09:27:09 PM »

As with anytime or anywhere you get your service done if you have the 2 stroke Detroits, it is your responsibility to make sure they have the correct oil first since everyone else uses 15W-40.  I have found that few oil change places, whether it be like Speedco, or a truck or bus dealership carry it anymore.  I'm not trying to be a snot head, but I too run into the same problem at oil change places.  Heck-where I work doesn't carry it-they have to pre-order it from our oil supplier (where I buy it and keep two cases [enough for an oil change] in my storage).  When I was driving on the road, I used Speedco whenever possible and they always did a great job and quickly.  Also-Speedco is one of the few places you can get your oil analyzed and have a read out by the time you leave.  I have used the Speedco in North Las Vegas and they carried the straight 40 weight-don't know if they still do.  If you have room in your storage bay and if you know you're going to be out long enough for an oil change (about 12,000 miles worth), it would be a good idea to carry your oil change with you.  I wouldn't stop going to Speedco because of this one bad experience.  I bet next time you'll ask if they have the right oil before they drain your engine.  Good Luck, TomC. PS-if you have a 2 stroker, any weather above 40 should be using 40 weight oil-not 30 weight.

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 10:22:33 AM »

I have got into the habit of always looking for deals on and picking up the straight 40# wherever I am since I've had two shops say they could not put in anything except the multigrade oil.  Only Central States Diesel near Chicago would put in the straight 40# for me.  Now I insist on 40#, but am ready to supply it if necessary. 

Hope this helps, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 02:24:54 PM »

I know of a little bus shop in Union City, TN that won't put anything except 40W* in (usually Delo 100) It's known as Busted Knuckle's Bus Garage and they're sponsoring the "TN FALL BUS BASH" Oct 26th-31st!

Come on out and have yer oil changed! BK  Grin[/color][/size]

Opps shameless plug! I know I should be ashamed of myself! But I AIN'T!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 02:28:43 PM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: