Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 03:30:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small glitch on the way home  (Read 4061 times)
ruthi

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2011, 01:50:26 PM »

Bus is running hot. We pull over every now and then, cools down, and then go further. Ken thought it might be the fan clutch, but when he checked it, he also thought it may be something electrical. Plenty of coolant, no leaks. We are going to try and get home tonight and drive while it is cooler. We have one week to get soooo much done now, before we go on the road again. Have to get the gen installed, and now, see what is causing this problem. Need to see where the closest place is that we can pick up a gen slideout. Guess we will see...........Figured first trip out there would be some glitches. At least she is still running. Grin

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 01:57:40 PM »

should be mechanical gauge in engine compartment. see if it agrees with dash gauge. or ck for loose wire on sender. Just offering something you may have overlooked.   Bob.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 02:04:22 PM »

Thanks

James77MCI8

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 02:14:02 PM »

How hot is hot? Like Robert said could be a faulty Dash gauge. I would think that the Engine protection system would shut down the engine if it were actually running hot

77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 02:20:55 PM »

That DDEC should light up like a Christmas Tree if it get hot,time to buy Ken a SilverLeaf Ruthi if he doesn't have one for piece of mind

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 02:39:44 PM »

It goes above 220 and the buzzer sounds. We then let it cool. We have a detroit desiel pro driver, but it is not hooked up, dont really know how to hook it up yet. We got it from hard headed Ken.

stevet903

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 02:44:18 PM »

If it has a fan clutch, see if it has a hole in it that you can put a bolt in to lock both sides together.  I've seen several that have been made that way.  The fan will spin at max speed and will cool the engine if the clutch is loose...

Steve
Hard Headed Ken

1988 Prevost Angola Conversion Repowered With 14L Series 60 & Eaton Ultrashift

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 02:45:41 PM »

Ruth, is your transmission working OK? If I remember correctly your bus has a retarder instead of an engine brake. I've heard of a retarder being partly on. That doesn't seem possible to me, but if is that would dump an extreme amount of heat into your cooling system. You bus would run hot even if there's nothing wrong with the engine. I think the Setra's have retarders, maybe BK can clear up the "partly on" rumor. I think I sent Ken the wiring diagram for the Pro Driver. If I didn't let me know.

Ken

Link to my engine swap slide show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAFFBcoTQI
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 02:46:37 PM »

Yes, it has a fan clutch, but cant see a problem there.

ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 02:59:37 PM »

We have so much going on right now. We dont have a brake retarder on this bus anymore, we have a jake brake. Ken says you did send him the diagram, but he says he isnt smart enough to hook it up, lol. We need to find someone to do it that knows what they are doing.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 03:22:04 PM »

Ruthi, you cannot install a Prodriver from one engine to another without reprogramming the Prodriver same if you change the ECM they need reprogramming and that requires software

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 03:43:10 PM »

It was a new one, but, need to get help to install.

Ace

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 04:53:55 PM »

Uhh, not to dispute clifford but all the pro drivers I have researched can be hooked up directly to the round, I believe 6 pin diagnostic plug without any programming. That is if you have a series 60.
I may be wrong but while researching one for my own use, this is what I was told. It merely reads info directly from the vehicles ecm. I was also told they would only work on the series 60 engines and not an 8v92. Go figure.

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
5B Steve

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 05:28:37 PM »

I believe on Fred Hobes page he tells how to build a generator slideout if you have time to build one.

Steve 5B........
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 05:30:09 PM »

Ruthi,
I haven't seen the coach up close and personal yet so I really can not say 100% that what I suspect is the cause or not.

But I do know that an engine starving for air will run hot.

Those purty stacks you have coming out the back look awesome, but.....
IIRC one is really exhaust and the other is for the intake system. If this id true I have to fear that the size of the intake air has been greatly compromised which would make the engine starve for air.

I could be wrong, and really hope I am. Those look sweet and I know it took time & $ to do.

Now OTH if a fan clutch is the culprit. All most all of them I have seen had a place like Steve mentions where a bolt can be put it and lock it on all the time. (one of our buses is/has been that way since who knows how long before we bought it)
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: