Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 06:26:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small glitch on the way home  (Read 4066 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 05:47:28 PM »

Ruthi, the software is available from DD by download for free www.ddcsn.com but the kicker is translator box you need to download with,that being a new ProDriver it will need programing to work

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 06:28:39 PM »

How did the coach run going to the rally? Did this just happen on your return route?

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 06:31:04 PM »

I called and talked to Ken about this a few hours ago.  They had stopped for the night.  Ken said he can keep it from overheating if he keeps it under 58 MPH.

I really had no help for him.  Their coach wiring is not like a regular Dina as their coach has been rewired to all 12 volt with no 24 volt remaining.  I saw their fan clutch at Arcadia and it sures looks identical to mine.  From the wiring diagram for my coach I think the clutch might be 24 volt, but not sure without actually checking mine.

I can't see any place on the Dina clutch to put in a bolt, but I could be missing something.  The maintenance manual doesn't say anything about a bolt.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 09:36:48 PM »

I'll check ours tomorrow and tell ya where the bolt is/goes! (it's sorta hidden from the back side if I remember right!)
I hope it's something simple, but if your luck id like mine it won't be.

I still suspect the incoming air supply.  (Brian remember yours had similar overheating problems from the bird nests in you intake?)
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 10:28:04 PM »

I'm with BK - restricted intake - richer mixture - unburned fuel - Do you have any tell tale exhaust? Can you see it if you do?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 04:02:16 AM »

Ken replaced the original Dina air intake with something new.  He could still have an obstruction, but not in the usual place for a Dina.  He said it was running fine the first part of his trip.

I do see where a bolt could possibly be installed to lock up the clutch after I looked closer at it.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2011, 07:01:36 AM »

Ken replaced the original Dina air intake with something new.  He could still have an obstruction, but not in the usual place for a Dina.  He said it was running fine the first part of his trip.

I do see where a bolt could possibly be installed to lock up the clutch after I looked closer at it.

Brian,
I know Ken replaced the original air intake. IIRC the "tailpipe" on the right is for the air intake. If the "tailpipe" is the ONLY place the filter draws air from, it is highly possible that it is too restrictive.
Again IIRC most stock intake ducts/pipes/hoses/etc. are 8-10" in diameter. Those pipes coming out of Ken & Ruthi's appear to be standard 4-5" stacks. An engine has to be able to breath to run properly.

I'm not saying that it is definitely the issue here. As I really don't know and can't tell just from pics.

But (again) IIRC it took some convincing on my part for you to believe that yours could be blocked the way it was, or that it could cause yours to run warm also.
(I ain't always right once I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken! Grin)

There are numerous other possibilities that could be Ken & Ruthi's problem, and in time we will be able to help them diagnose and fix the problem. I just like to look @ the most common areas I personally have experienced first.
FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2011, 07:29:54 AM »

BK, Ken stopped and opened up the intake to see if that was a problem, it still heated up. Think it is a clutch problem. Can you describe to us where to find the place to lock it up? Thanks

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2011, 07:40:00 AM »

Ruthi, most of the Dina's your year model had a switch to turn the fan off and on have Ken check and be sure the switch is on if he has one some were controlled by electric over air also 

good luck  

« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 07:42:37 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2011, 07:45:13 AM »

BTW, the stacks are 6inch.

Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2011, 07:48:19 AM »

Ruthi,
On the back side of the fan/clutch assembly (radiator side) there will be some holes and if you spin the fan you should see where at least two holes will line up. Take the appropriate size bolt and thread it in and snug it up!

Now that said, there is a way to see if the clutch is working at all on a DINA that many buses do not have the option of!
If the rear switch panel is original, you can turn your battery power on (leave ign switch off) and flip it to rear start. You should hear a "clunk" or loud "thud" as the solenoid kicks in to engage the clutch. Once you hear this you should not be able to turn the fan! (unless it is slipping in the clutch or on the belts!)
Let me know if you need more details. I will go down soon and verify the bolt locations and bolt size on ours right after eating brunch which is being cooked right now!
two 7 zero 7 zero five eleven thirty nine is my cell #
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2011, 07:56:13 AM »

Thanks BK. We are 45 min from home, so, Ken will call you when we get home and have the tools to work with.

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2011, 08:18:58 AM »

Now that said, there is a way to see if the clutch is working at all on a DINA that many buses do not have the option of!
If the rear switch panel is original, you can turn your battery power on (leave ign switch off) and flip it to rear start. You should hear a "clunk" or loud "thud" as the solenoid kicks in to engage the clutch. Once you hear this you should not be able to turn the fan! (unless it is slipping in the clutch or on the belts!)

I hear that clunk when I turn my switch to rear.  I unhooked the clutch connection to measure the voltage this morning and now it doesn't lock up when I turn the switch to rear, but the clutch still makes noise and it is still cooling fine.  Ken and Ruth's bus has been completely rewired to 12 volt and I wouldn't be surprised if the rear start is gone.

My air intake originally was blocked, but not totally.  It was one of the first things I thought of when I was overheating.  I pulled the elbow off the air filter and it still overheated.  My overheating was fixed with a new radiator core.

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2011, 09:10:50 AM »

Ken and Ruthi, given your intake plumbing, I would install a vacuum "tattletale" before the turbo and see if it is pulling more "vacuum" that it should.  They are cheap and easy to install (if you have a threaded port).  For sure, that would tell you if you have a restriction. 

If I picture your route correctly, you do not  have all that many hills between Arcadia and your home.  If that is the case, then air restriction would not be an issue.  The  only time you need big flow is when you have to be heavy on the throttle.  Then you can always back off and see what happens. 

You have a DDEC and I would think it would adjust for the lack of air by cutting back on the fuel. 

My bet is the fan clutch.

Random thoughts.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
scenicruiser997

Owner of two Scenicruisers and one PD4905 Buffalo

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2011, 05:23:30 PM »

Ruthi, I want you to understand how sincere I am when I tell you this.  I want to offer to you and Ken the use of your old bus until Ken can get the new one where he feels comfortable.  What I am saying is, I know that your running out of time to get back on the road with your work.  I have the old girl fueled up in my shop ready to hit the road.  If Ken wants to fly to Tulsa, I will pick him up and take him to the bus and he can drive it back to your house and use it on the road working until he can get back to the new one.  I would not do this for anyone but you two.  You two were nice to me, when I flew down to buy your bus, that   I wanted to offer the same back to you and Ken.  I trust you guys.  I know how well you take care of things.  Sincerely,   Aaron Veale

Aaron
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: