Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 05:32:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Auto start for Gen  (Read 3676 times)
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« on: January 02, 2011, 06:22:38 PM »

Just a quick ? Is a auto start for your Generator when your battries fall below 12. volts or what ever you have it set for worth the money ? and do many of you have them in your conversions . Iam thinking if you do alot of Boondocking and away from your Bus for long peroids of time. it might be something to consider . Anyway I was just wondering Thanks Andy

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
MARKMC7

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 06:42:35 PM »

Andy, if in fact that is what it is for I want one also. I look forward to the answer to this one myself.

Mark

Thanks to Ruthi and ken. my bus is now called "one peace at a time"
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 06:49:43 PM »

I don't know about all the auto starts the ones Dick Wrights sell work off the inverter and the inverter senses the low voltage and not all inverters have the feature and some generators they do not work on so be careful buying one they gather dust mine did lol

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 06:50:02 PM »

Mark I have a 12kw kabota Gen from Wirco and they have an option that you can install but I think there kind of pricey

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 07:07:49 PM »

The Murphy is the best unit but it cost around 600 bucks it doesn't use the inverter and can be programed 

good luck

Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 07:42:25 PM »

I have one in my bus and it is very nice.
Mine is the smartgen. I leave it on even if I am not around. With my gen it starts and shuts down after about 10 min. Keeps everything happy. Wink
Gary

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 08:53:55 PM »

Andy, if you have an inverter with the built in feature, it should not cost you much.

I have a Trace SW2512 and it has the auto generator start capability built in.  It can start the generator based on battery voltage or other factors.  It can even be programmed to not start during rally quiet hours.  I never programmed mine, as I was worried about running the generator when I was not there.  I finally got my system installed (shoe makers kid sort of thing), but have not found the time to complete the wiring for the function. 

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 08:58:09 PM »

Thanks everyone for the replys , Jim Iam going to call Dick this week and ask him if my inverter will support one . Terry bought the complete setup from Dick so iam hoping he can answer my ? thanks again to all Andy

TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 10:04:04 PM »

Auto Gen Start is a standard function of the Xantrex RS3000 inverter I installed in 2005, but to use it, an additional Gen Start Module is required (about $100).

I chose to bite the bullet back then, and am glad I did.

I don't use it much, but when you need it...you need it.

HTH

Jay
87SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 11:09:23 PM »

Also something to think about is wether you are going to leave a pet in the bus.
I believe all the auto starts even the ones that run off the inverter will start with thermostat to run your air conditioning.

Gary

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 04:35:08 AM »

Autostart will also do a few other things.

It will also start the gen if the cabin gets too hot.You can preset an a/c and if the thermostat triggers it triggers the autostart.

It will also sometimes takeover power supply if incoming power eitherfails OR if it is forsome reason too low.

It will also exercise the gen on starts that are adjustable timed intervals, 1 hr once a week etc.

I have one I have installed 2 others got them all from Dick Wright. Great product great service.

I have a Universal Kabota gen and a Heart inverter his magnum products worked on these and all other manufacturers and combos I  have come across.

2 thumbs up on autostart

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 05:46:27 AM »

I have one in my bus and it is very nice.
Mine is the smartgen. I leave it on even if I am not around. With my gen it starts and shuts down after about 10 min. Keeps everything happy. Wink
Gary

If it were me, I would program it to run a minimum of thirty minutes with a load.  That can't be good for the engine to run for that short a time.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 06:16:44 AM »

Andy, before you buy ask Dick if the 2 wire auto start will work for you I have that one still in the box I bought from him btw you are going to need more house batteries with the 2 you have it will be starting every 5 minutes 

good luck

Kenny

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 09:02:11 AM »

Although many of the auto gen start devices including the ones built into inverters have many if not all of the features we need to start the generator, I believe there is one feature missing to stop the generator. Have yet to find one that will shut down after 80% battery charge has been completed. Every one I have seen shuts the generator down after pre-programed duration. Problem with charging batteries is it takes 20% of the time to charge to 80% and 80% of the time to charge the last 20%. Running a generator to charge the last 20% is a waste of fuel. To save on generator fuel cost and wear and tear, would be nice to a auto gen controller that would shut down after batteries reach the 80% charge level.
Kenny

1941 and 1945 Flxible - South Lyon, Michigan
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 09:28:55 AM »

Kenny, good point.  Just very difficult to achieve.  To do that, you would need to have an integrating type SOC device built into the "system".  There are some that can work with an inverter, but that makes the system very complex. 

I think that most folks can learn how long the generator has to run to charge the batteries to 80%.  Should not be much of a function of what else is running, but will be a function of how you set your inverter in terms of "input amperage available".  You could then set the run time to get you close.

That said, I am a bit over my head here and may be too far out on a limb Grin

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: