Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 01:40:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Figuring value of bus?  (Read 3426 times)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« on: January 05, 2011, 04:14:42 PM »

I have to realize soon I will be a 2 bus guy and only need one. How do you assign value? I know it is a depressed market:and it will in the end be what buyer and seller agree upon. Here are a few facts. 89 Prevost XL ,2 slides,prob 100,000 miles expected before any engine work(have records) runs cool,Gen set with 400hrs. prob tires in 4yrs or 40,000 miles (average). Entertainment center and fridge in bay. Basement air,polished stainless,straight body. Plus all the standard conversion things. Just starting thought process so all input considered.   Bob     Plan on 98 being done in May-June

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 04:39:35 PM »

I have a post on BNO forums about my bus. Mc6 what's it worth
This is a complete overhaul roof raise floor lowered new skins new engine trans and custom everything.
Results weren't good far as price. Your bus is newer though.
Gary

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 04:52:54 PM »

There are 2 ways to price things. You can price to sell or price to keep!!  To determine the value of a converted bus is almost impossible on the internet. Too many variables. Say someone is asking $100,000 for a bus, but it has been sale for 2 years, Bad market, priced too high or poor conversion??

I looked around a bit, then decided what the minimum I would take for my bus was or I would keep it.
Then listed it on Ebay with that as a reserve price. I ended up with 2 buyers, slightly over the reserve.

Regardless of what I think or what others are selling for or what it is appraised at. It's only worth what someone will pay for it!!  No more no less. And no I am not happy with what I got.

My favorite remark when buying a vehicle is when the sales person says book value on it is $XXXX I tell them to sell it to the book. Sometimes I crack myself up Grin   HTH JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 05:32:20 PM »

I would have ask 45 a year ago but now more realistic 30 to 35.  Am I dreaming? Bob

Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 06:22:18 PM »

After thinking about it a while, I think there are a several things that set the value of our buses besides the economy.
1- what will it appraise for?
2- what will the bank loan on it?
3- what will it insure for?
4- what will we sell them for?
I build and sell houses in Alaska, and if a few guys sell their houses for less than you have got to or you will sit on it for a long while.
Just my thoughts
Gary

8V92 turbo 740 auto
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 06:37:17 PM »

Bank probably won't lend on anything over 10 yrs old. Will be a semi secured personal loan. I'll part it out if necessary. or give it to kids. No regrets either way!. Prob set price and start advertising in BCM. If no takers then will decide. Just fishing now.Maybe a little sad that times are tough.

Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 06:46:34 PM »

Not sure but I think the bank would consider it a home loan. I'll have to check on that and see what they will loan on mine. Can't hurt

Gary

8V92 turbo 740 auto
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 07:08:01 PM »

When you get the asking price down to where you are receiving inquires your there.

If you are not getting responce after a few weeks with a specific asking price its too high

I know a few sellers with campers for sale for 2 years, they would gladly NOW take way less than offers they turned down early on.  I think this is a common mistake.

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 07:18:06 PM »

I know Joe I have no delusions of high dollars. The Engine trans combo in it's present condition (Good) should bring more as a seperate unit. With all the windows ,generator,AC's differential.Caps bay doors ,awnings,radiator and scrap of metal left.comes to a minimum value.I know a local operator will pay 200 a piece for side windows(over 500 from prevost). or just give it to kids. Just sort of depressing. Enough Bad Carma for awhile.   Bob

Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 07:23:10 PM »

Hi Bob,
Is it an 8V92T ? How tall is it? Is there a picture here on the board somewhere?
Fred

Fred Thomson
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 07:26:53 PM »

Bob -

Do multiple searches using Google, crazedlist.org, and all the various other bus sales sites, to see what's out there and what the current advertised price is.

A spreadsheet might help you keep the info organized.

Once you come up with an average price for your age-vintage coach, you'll have a better grasp of the market, and can price yours accordingly.

But before you do, you might "shop" the others that are for sale, and find out if they've sold.  If so, ask for a ballpark "how much?"  If not, you'll know they're priced out of the market, maybe.  However, do NOT let the folk on the other end know you've got one for sale - shop as a buyer!!!

Selling in today's market is sort of like buying - you've got to do your homework!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

PS:  Wish my dad would give me his coach!  (If he was alive and if he had one, that is!)

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 07:28:45 PM »

8v-92 T just rolled new bearings in it (didn't really need but since I had the pan off I did it anyway) does not have raised roof.Will try to find link to pictures posted at BK's. Bob

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 07:43:39 PM »

Moderator's did not mean to be a sales thread just trying to figure out where to start. WILL advertise in BCM when the time comes. I need to get my thoughts together and was looking for guidance.  Was maybe venting a little also.  Bob

blank

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 08:56:42 PM »

To rich for my blood im sure. But perhaps some advice from a tire kicker may be of use? Many sellers seem to feel they will sell locally, and are almost impossible to deal with from out of town. Buyers need pictures, especially when they are a long distance away, and I feel buyers are smart enough to see past sellers hiding things by cutting off pictures, or not showing particular areas that arent as nice as the rest of the Bus. But nobody needs a flood of GIANT picture files that take hours to load either. Take a pic of every area, good or bad. Its nice to get wide views, long shots inside front to back, we want to "see" the bus as much as possible. All the descriptions in the world wont make up for some good pictures. And we dont need three of the same pic either.

IMHO, craigslist is more than sufficient as a selling medium. Anyone is this day and age thats not looking on Craigs to buy things is not really looking very seriously. There are tons of Buses on that site and I search it daily.

The value of these things is rather subjective. IMHO it is "condition, condition, condition, more than almost any other factor that brings the value. Looking at Buses for sale and seeing filth and crap all over really deteriorates the image.

New tires? They are worth maybe half retail at best once you roll out of the shop. Be serious about their value.

New engine? Really, the engine is worth wrecking yard value. Same with the rest.

First, value the Bus as a shell, whats a comparable shell selling for. Not asking, selling. Then figure a realistic value you would pay if you were buying your bus as its converted, and be realistic and honest. In most cases many sellers far overvalue thier stuff, far above what they would pay themselves. What it cost beforehand is irrelevent.

I know I am by no means an expert, but neither is anyone else. My feeling has always been that if I havnt gotten any serious lookers in the first week, the price is too high. Others will certainly feel differently. There are buyers out there, but as the price goes up, the number of prospects goes down. And the longer its on the market, the less anyone looks at it. Infact they stop. At that point even dropping your price wont help if everyone has stopped looking at your bus. The bottom line is if you price it fairly, have good pictures, dont hide anything, and its in good condition, it will sell pretty quick.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 02:34:24 PM »

I can personally tell you Bob's bus is very nicely done! And the center Island is way too cool! I'll have to dig out the laptop and get the pics posted if Bob can't find any or the referred to link.
Good luck Bob, and if not able to sell at a reasonable cost I'd suggest "leasing" it to the kids providing they keep up the tags, ins, and maintenance! (don't have to charge much or any for the lease just a way to "take it back" in case they don't keep it up or a serious buyer comes along) instead of just giving it to them. (basically saying "it's yours to use, as long as you pay the expenses and keep it up, unless it sells")
Just my opinion.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: