Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 05:29:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mpg to Florida  (Read 6982 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« on: January 09, 2011, 11:30:02 AM »

OK, Belfert got 7.9 mpg from a series 60 with a B500 trans.  That's good info.

How did you do with your 9V71 and 740 set up, Busswarrior?

Hope others will post their performance for us that have in_quiring minds.

I recall the Clifford is on record as getting 8 from a 8V92 with a 740 in a Eagle but I will let him correct that if I am mistaken.

Thanks,

John

Posted this the first timne in another post....sorry.

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 11:57:36 AM »

First off BW didn't take his bus to Arcadia. He drove a SUV so his mpg might be a little misrepresented. Second, not to dispute Belferts mpg, I find it hard to believe that he got that mileage since I know a lot of friends with the same motor and with all due respect to Brian, more regular maintained and they only get above 6 mpg. I'm not saying he didn't, just saying hard to believe and if he is relying solely on his vms well then, that too could be a factor!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 12:21:11 PM »

I think Brian could get the mileage without much trouble he has 4:10 gears with a overdrive transmission, wasn't towing anything, a 11.1 60's with 350 hp settting not a full blown conversion so he is lite and with the weather he could not be in a hurry

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 12:53:08 PM »

Ace,
Not trying to start any arguments here, but I personally know Brian can & should get that out of a Dina.
As Clifford said the Dina's are geared tall and get great mileage. Before Brian or I either one had one a local operator I know told me his were getting up to 11 mpg on a regular basis.
Now while I haven't seen that out of ours I have seen 8 mpg regularly measured on the amount of gallons used per the miles traveled method. There have been several times I have run 800 to 820 miles and put exactly 100 gallons in it. (I always fill it all the way up in the neck since I know it's fixing to get burned, as we usually fuel en-route to pick up our passengers so that we arrive with full tanks and can go the distance once loaded!)

I can't say that for our new Setra's as they seem to avg, 5-6 mpg. I do have a '95 S215 (just like the one you went and looked @ for Paul Hastings) with the 12.7 and B500 that avgs 6.5-7 mpg.
FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Just my personal experiences YMMV!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 01:00:35 PM »

Ace, I checked the MPG on the first tankful and it was pretty close to the VMSpc.  I filled up just north of Valdosta, GA and was able to drive to Arcadia and almost all the way back to Chattanooga on that tank.  The amount of fuel that I put in matched almost exactly the amount VMSpc reported using.  I was off a few gallons due to generator use along the way.

This was my first trip with the VMSpc.  I was actually a bit disappointed by the 7.9 MPG.  In the past I have hand calculated and usually get 8 MPG or better with a light load like I had this time, but I was also running winter fuel.  My tank has no filler neck so I can see the fuel level and I fill it to the same level every time.

Ace, I have no idea why you infer poor maintenance?  Oil is changed yearly, coolant has been replaced twice in just under 5 years, ATF has been changed out to Transynd, and the chassis is lubed yearly.  I have had oil analysis done the past two oil changes and I check the SCA levels yearly.  The air dryer has been fully serviced, twice!  Brakes are professionally checked at least once a year.  I had all of the brake drums, brake shoes, and wheel bearings replaced when I bought the bus.  I have put on less than 25,000 miles since I bought the bus.

Yes, I admit I had an issue with the air system and it was due to a stupid mistake!  I made a poor assumption and used a 24 volt purge valve instead of the correct 12 volt purge valve the first time I serviced the air dryer.  I rebuilt the air dryer again just before I went to Arcadia and it worked just fine for that trip.  

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 01:04:32 PM »

I had to sorta back out the generator runnung. From Spartanburg, SC to Arcadia FL. got app. 6.5-7 mpg. If I could have kept it to 65 mph probably would have been better, but with the 8-71 gotta get a run at every hill. 05 Eagle 39000 lbs with 18' trailer @ 8500lbs. 8v-71, allison mt-654, 3:73 rear.
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 01:10:33 PM »

Brian I wasn't insinuating that YOU didn't maintain YOUR bus because I honestly don't know but I DO know about the ones I AM familiar with and their routine maintenance and they NEVER see that mileage but I must admit I forgot you had thr smaller 60 series where most everything I am familiar with is the 12 or 14 liter.
To add the ones I know of are a lot heavier and pulling a toad which Clifford was so kind to remind me of. I should have thought of those factors before I posted but the numbers caught my attention first!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 01:18:58 PM »

I'm not sure if the MPG numbers Bryce mentioned are with the 11.1 or the 12.7.  Dina had to switch to the 12.7 after the 11.1 was discontinued.  I have a feeling that the 12.7 might get even better MPG as it wouldn't be pushed so hard.

I was running 65 MPH for about 2/3rds of my trip.  About 1/4 of the trip was at 60 MPH and the rest was at 70 MPH.  I did 70 MPH for a while to try to make it to Raines Bus before they closed for the day.  I realized I wasn't going to make it after a while and I slowed back down.  The last leg of my trip I did at 60 MPH  to see if MPG would improve and it did.  Winter weather was only an issue for about 150 miles and I was still doing 55 to 60 MPH during that time.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 03:34:34 PM »

I am in the process of changing fron the 8-71n to a 12.7 430-470 series 60 with an allison 4000mhp. I have been told that I should see a signifacant increase( when you are at 6-7 mpg what is that LOL). It got to be better than I have now. We ar uphill every direction we go with the 2 stroke hammered.  I should know in a couple months
RichardEntrekin

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 04:51:40 PM »

Ok, I didn't get to go to Florida, but I wish I had. It was 7 degrees here this morning. I won't call my Newell a bus, so don't get wadded up. It does have a 12.7L S60 mated to an Ally World transmission, 6 speed. It weighs 42,000 lbs loaded with water and fuel. I drive 65 to 68 mph normally and pull either a Subaru Outback or Honda CRV. It gets anywhere between 6.8 and 7.2 depending on the wind, terrain, how many AC units the bride has cranking, and if I hedge toward 70. It turns about 1500 RPM at 65 mph. That mileage has been tracked for about 15000 miles, so I am pretty confident in the number.

Richard Entrekin
95 Newell, Detroit S 60
Subaru Outback toad
Huntington WV

Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 05:33:10 PM »

48,500 pounds of aerodynamic Iggle pushed by a state of the art 8V71(injected) connected to the "ultra" Allison 654 and being constrained to "over 65" and that gets 7mpg?  I want to see what beats that.

I got the part about the hills.  I doubt the series 60 12.7 L will have a single problem with any hill and I sure am looking forward to hearing about the mpg.

Thank you for the info.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 06:09:13 PM »

LIke I said close as I could figure. Truth be known closer to 6.5. That dosen;t sound so good !!LOL
luvrbus

Ignore
`
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 06:47:25 PM »

Eric is spending a few bucks for maybe a MPG John but the hills will be a big difference for Eric those 8v71 are not much in the hills.
When he comes west with the 60 series and climbs the grade between La Grande and Pendleton Or, and if he come to see me and makes the grade from Laughlin NV to Kingman Az that one separates the men from the boys (ask Van lol) I see more blown engines on those 2 grades than any place I have been trucks and buses
good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 07:18:39 PM »

Well, my new to me 1996 Vortec 5700 in a K1500 Suburban, 3.42 gears, brand new Pep Boys house brand tires, showed me 17.5 mpg US/21 mpg imp/13.5 litres/100km for the trip home. Ran it like a religion tucked over in the right lane between 60 and 65 mph. GPS and odometer within 2%. GPS and speedomoeter 4%...whatever...

Southbound was 1/2 a mpg less, due to higher driving velocities, perhaps the worn tires? whatever...?

Lots of fun comparing the GPS summaries, average moving speed was much closer than what you might guess in comparing the two runs. Lots of fun in those gizmos!

3000 mile/5000 km round trip to my fuel starting point.

$562 of gasoline.

The coach would have been 6 mpg US southbound at 70 mph, and a decimal or three better northbound at the somewhat slower speed. The coach won't show 7 mpg without staying solidly under the 60 mph ceiling.

IIRC, it was $1500 for the diesel for Bussin 2006, so not much has changed...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 09:22:50 AM »

Well "HUGGY" and I came down 321 then 301 to Ocalla. averaged a little above 7. Then we hit 75 or was it 85 most of the time, down to Bradenton then over to Arcadia. averged a little under 5.

Lets see a little under 5 and a little above 7 averages out to 13. by my figures.

The new tall tires really help.

uncle ned

all good busnuts can tell a few fibs

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: