Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 07:06:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need HELP with my computer- Way off topic - but HELP  (Read 1920 times)
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« on: September 06, 2006, 06:29:00 PM »

Hi Folks, I am hoping there is a computer guru out there that can help.

I know this is way off topic but I just tried to start my laptop computer and when windows opens I am presented with a screen ( the typical Windows Log On screen) asking for my password. I have never I repeat NEVER assigned a password to this computer to start it. I have trieds to start the computer in Safe Mode but I am hit with the same screen, except I get an administrators box also on the mode. Even if I type in the normal passwords I use I can not get in.

Is there a default password that Microsoft uses? One that I could type in?

I do have access with my main computer so I can get my e-mails or onto this board.

Thanks, sorry to have bothered,
Dave

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
Ace

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 06:59:27 PM »

Dave when you get the administrator box, I take it your trying to put in your name and password! Try not putting anything at all in and see if it loads that way! I found that sometimes when I put my name in and password in, I'll get the same results you describe. If I enter nothing at all, I get in with no problems or glitches!

NOW, where is the info on the latches? Smiley

Ace
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 07:22:37 PM »

Hi Dave,
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

No, Microsoft does not have a "default" password.  Most likely the administrator user account has a "null" password, meaning type in nothing (not even spaces) for the password.   During normal boot when presented with the user login screen type nothing for user name and nothing for password.  Try those ideas out to get in to your laptop.

-Brian
Dave Siegel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 08:03:31 PM »

Thanks guys. The help is well appreciated. When I try to just hit "enter" instead of entering a password I get an error message that says " This system does not permit you to log on interactively".   Smells like a virus to me.

Tommoprrow I have to re-load Windows. My only choice. I wonder if I am going to loose my files??   There's a ton of crap in there that is really important.

Thanks again,

Dave

P.S. Remember that old Chinese Proverb: "It's not (IF) your computer will crash, it's "WHEN" will it crash.

Naples, Florida
         www.help-assist-list.com
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 08:17:21 PM »

Hi Dave,

It's almost never a lost cause, but rather how much time you want to put into it to get the data out.

Was the machine recently joined to a domain?  I'm guessing not, but that would do it (add a logon dialog box).

Also, IF you want to recover the data, it most likely can be done, at almost NO cost.  But may take some of your time. 

If you just want to get your data files, you can boot the PC under one the the Linux boot CDs, then mount your file systems under the booted OS.   Once you are within the new OS, just copy off your data files to a safe area, which can be scanned for viruses.  An example bootable is WHAX, Whoppix,  or Knoppix.  We use them in forensics and security penn testing.

You would have to make the bootable CDs by downloading the .iso image.  Then burning that to CD.  Then boot.

The same technique can be used to get rid of, or bypass the new password.  Bypassing the password is a bit more work.

Hope this helps, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
truck26

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 08:18:29 PM »

Dave I'm afraid you're right, or you have a virus that took over the laptop(online 24/7?) or someone changed the settings and that's the only person that can get in there the easy way. Do you have a virus CD? Norton Virus scan or so? Do you have a way to get online with another computer? Stupid question you wrote this Grin Is the computer(laptop) in a local network? Do you have a restore cd(s)? Lots of questions, but I want to know what's there before I can figure out how you could get in there again.
Drop a note here please I'll be watching this tonight till 10 or 11 pm

CU
Richard
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 11:21:28 PM »

Another thing to try is "administrator" for login name and no password, and make sure your domain (if given the option) is "this computer" or something like that. Even if you have a user name, oftentimes the default administrator account password is null.

Looks like you have access to another PC, so if you can't fix the problem don't re-install Windows and especially DON'T re-format your drive until you get your data files off of it. You can buy a 2.5" hard drive USB adapter for around $30 that you can plug your little hard drive into and push the files you want to keep onto a desktop or another laptop PC prior to re-loading Windows. That PC will read your drive & adapter just like any other attached drive on it. Then you can burn a CD or DVD of those files to later put back on your laptop.

Hope this helps, and please keep us posted on your woes,
Brian

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
Dave Siegel

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 07:42:20 AM »

Well here's today's delema.

I have tried all of the great suggestions that everyone has offered. Even got on to the HP website and they had three fixes.
1: Hit enter ( no passwrod)   Nope
2: Start in Safe Mode, go to Administrator try no password. Nope! Try Administrator as password. NOPE!
3: Reload Windows.

Of course I can't find my Windows disk so I brought the computer to work. Here we have a reconstruct Windows disk for XP Home. I Loaded that and now most of my document files are gone but the computer is up and running again. I can retrieve the missing files from my "Big" computer. (I hope)

I wonder what caused Windows to all of a sudden start asking for a password??? The mysteries of life in the computer fast lane.

Thanks to everyone that offered support. I really appreciate it. Also, it was really nice to just have a place to come to where I could vent my frustration.

Thanks again,

Dave Siegel

Naples, Florida
         www.help-assist-list.com
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 08:05:19 AM »

Hey Dave:

Well, at least you're running again! Good news.

Now, your documents aren't likely gone, just in a different directory (folder) than what's now your default. Go to "My Computer" and look for "C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents" where username was the name you used to use. They're most likely in there.

Otherwise, you can do a search for a document by filename or contents to maybe point you to where they're located.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
Dave Siegel

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 10:08:35 AM »

Thanks again........I was able to find my documents and my photos (of which I have scores or them) Phew!   Microsoft Office refuse to work so I have to re-load that when I get home and my Adobe software is none functional. So I guess that will have to be re-loaded as well.

Thanks again everyone.

Dave

Naples, Florida
         www.help-assist-list.com
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 10:43:32 AM »

Microsoft Office refuse to work so I have to re-load that when I get home and my Adobe software is none functional. So I guess that will have to be re-loaded as well.
Those will need to be reinstalled.  Although the program files are still there, the new Windows installation set up a new registry.  Most modern programs use the registry to store settings and keys.

A couple notes about reinstalling the programs:

If the Adobe software is Photoshop or Illustrator and you downloaded/installed any custom brushes or filters, you may want to copy the files from the appropriate brushes/filter folders to a safe place and then copy them back after reloading Adobe.

On the Office software, if you had set up or downloaded any custom or 3rd party templates, you may want to copy the templates folder to a safe location and then copy it back after reinstalling.
KC Eagle

83 Eagle in process

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 04:13:23 PM »

If you suspect you could have been infected with a virus (certainly plausable given your description), I would be sure you have it thouroughly clean and verified preferably by more than one antivirus package. There are some good online scanners from Symantec and Trend-Micro among others that can scan without installing software, although they usually can't clean an infection. You definetly don't want to install more than Anti-Virus package at a time. Rootkit virus infections are becoming more prevelant and are extremely difficult to detect so excersize caution. Also XP is keyed and activated software and you may run into a problem re-installing using a different key than the existing installation.

That said, my preference in cases like this is to clean off the hard disk after bacikng up essential data then re-installing XP to ensure a trouble free and clean installation. You can contact me offline if you like if I can help or provide you with links to some online scanners. I don't wont to run afoul of the moderator by posting my website that has these links on, I'm just happy to help out a fellow 'nut' if I can.

Kurt (KC & Company, Computer Consulting)
truck26

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 05:02:48 PM »

for virus check http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp?j=1&langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=TFFFIGAKIYLPMJSSNKR

to check if the door is locked
http://scan.sygate.com/probe.html

good luck
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 05:07:26 PM »

I do not think you will run into any objection from any moderator where you are helping not only an existing nuts problem but also maybe help for one of the other nuts at a future time.
Richard

If you suspect you could have been infected with a virus (certainly plausable given your description), I would be sure you have it thouroughly clean and verified preferably by more than one antivirus package. There are some good online scanners from Symantec and Trend-Micro among others that can scan without installing software, although they usually can't clean an infection. You definetly don't want to install more than Anti-Virus package at a time. Rootkit virus infections are becoming more prevelant and are extremely difficult to detect so excersize caution. Also XP is keyed and activated software and you may run into a problem re-installing using a different key than the existing installation.

That said, my preference in cases like this is to clean off the hard disk after bacikng up essential data then re-installing XP to ensure a trouble free and clean installation. You can contact me offline if you like if I can help or provide you with links to some online scanners. I don't wont to run afoul of the moderator by posting my website that has these links on, I'm just happy to help out a fellow 'nut' if I can.
Kurt (KC & Company, Computer Consulting)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Dave Siegel

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 06:01:54 AM »

I can't say thanks enough for all of the offered help. Funny thing, is I can understand most of it. I have been able to reconcile all of the problems by re-installing the software, and I have found my documents, the only thing I am really having a problem with is:

My laptop is wireles capable (HP)
I have cable internet access
I also have a Lynksys wireless router
My laptop does not even see it, I mean I can't even find out information about how to hook it back up.

As I remember when I hooked up the wireless router, it was like plug and play. Am I missing something?

Dave

Naples, Florida
         www.help-assist-list.com
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: