Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 04:25:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another one probably giving up  (Read 4942 times)
mlh1936

Graphics By Turbo Images

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 07:00:58 AM »

It was previously said "if it flies,floats or wears a skirt it's cheaper to rent!" Maybe we can add buses to that quote?

1987 MCI 102A-3, 8V92, HT-740 conversion in progress.
PADoug

Squirrels store food in bus. Are they bus nuts?

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 07:06:31 AM »

I believe the post was about this:

>>So, here's the question.  If you and your spouse, separately, think alike --- is that scary?

Arthur<

Arthur,

No. It's safety.. Wink
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:13:35 AM by PADoug » Logged

Living life one day at a time, and keeping first things first. MM Philanthropy#225 F&AM Greensburg, PA
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 07:08:59 AM »

Art, Preventative Maintenance is your friend, and will do much to increase your comfort level --- in any vehicle.

When we brought it down from New Hampshire, where we bought it, we lost one nut from the temporary license plate, and one nut from the auxiliary generator tailpipe.  Two pieces of coat hanger covered us for over 5,000 miles.  The reason -- we'd had the dealer (former second generation owner and maintenance director of an old family bus company) do all necessary repairs and PM's.   If my friend is interested in the coach, I'll probably drive it up there from Texas to Massachusetts for him.  We might, then, even use it one more time to get my Mother in Law up to New Brunswick, Canada -- the first time we did it she said it was her best travel experience (of somewhere between 50 and 100).  

My business is down, (affecting money), and Phyllis' work is up -- she's doing quite a bit of overtime (Thank you, Interstate Batteries).  That affects the time we have available - both to work on the coach and, more importantly, to use it.  Our issue is spending the additional money to finish out the interior, and get a coat of paint on to protect the metal.  Then, we have to think about the annual costs -- storage, registration, insurance, for an asset we don't have time to use.  We purchased two new cars in 2009 -- that money can pay them down faster; let us use our airline miles to go to Europe (by funding hotels/meals), etc.  

A major failure, though, can happen despite PM.  My wife's new Mercury wouldn't come out of Park when she made a stop on the way to work.  Had it towed to the dealer where I bought my Lincoln (different dealer), and it turns out the original dealer had nicked a brake light wire when they switched out the radio.  Not major, but had her stuck.  I've figured out that I don't start my car, I'm booting the computer.  If that goes, big bucks --- so I plan to buy the extended warranty before my 4-year warranty runs out.  So, the suggestion of a maintenance reserve fund, as suggested, is a very good one.  Much like I've squirreled away about 5 grand for the paint job, a reserve would cover you for emergencies.  

However, if you search back in the archives, you'll see posts about blown engines on the road.  Paul has a story of losing his air compressor coming to Texas -- I think he was stuck for a couple of days.  It almost seems like you can multiply the expense as a function of the weight of the part, and the age of the vehicle.  When I was young bus company employee, I used to bring in dead buses, and we had a good maintenance program (another family bus company, with the founder's son in charge of maintenance).  I remember bringing in a schoolbus without a clutch, a good way to learn how to time stoplights.  I also remember one of our guys, on a 4905, getting the transmission hung up in two gears at once.  He was an old streetcar motorman, up to bus driver, and I remember it because of him swearing on the radio (I can't shift the damned thing --- oops).  That was with a fairly new 4905, and I'm running an older 4107.  Stuff happens.

So, as a thought -- search the archives for some of the road failure experiences - those not caused by poor PM.  What would you do in the same situation.  Would you look at it like a good chance to get your hands dirty, solve problems, and revel in your victory, or get upset/angry?  Perhaps another parallel.  In the past, I remember renting a car to drive from Dallas to do a safety review of the bus operator in Abilene, Texas, 100-150 miles each way, because I wasn't sure of the car I then owned.  I had a good PM program on my car, but it was a high mileage vehicle.

Arthur                        

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 07:11:50 AM »

We all do it different the up keep had a little to with but not that much,I just decided after long conversation with Dave Galley the age 70 was time for me to pass the keys no regrets on my part.
I am smart enough to know I wasn't the same person as I was at the age of 60 and at 70 I don't wear glasses perfect vision  lol

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 08:25:14 AM »

It was previously said "if it flies,floats or wears a skirt it's cheaper to rent!" Maybe we can add buses to that quote?

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/life/2009-03/31/content_7633623.htm

Probably.

Arthur

1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 04:41:33 PM »

I have similar dilemmas, I see the cost of ownership and wonder if it is worth it. I also have the same fears of breakdowns etc. Sometimes there is no good answer, but I told my wife when we bought Wheezy Bus that I would have rather tried and failed, than turn old and only wish I had tried. You can honestly say you did it! No matter what decision you make, I wish you and your wife the absolute best.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
blank

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 07:23:48 PM »

I have similar dilemmas, I see the cost of ownership and wonder if it is worth it. I also have the same fears of breakdowns etc. Sometimes there is no good answer, but I told my wife when we bought Wheezy Bus that I would have rather tried and failed, than turn old and only wish I had tried.

I guess thats kind of how I am approaching the move up to a Bus. I hate motels with a passion, I hate being crammed in a car, and I hate the thought of leaving the dogs behind for someone else to care for. There is a certain confidence I have gained being on the road in a large RV. I have the car along, so a major breakdown isnt a total catastrophy, I can still drive home. But I also "am" home. The trepidation of leaving home, the fears fall away with the miles, and I soon feel like the Captain of my own ship, sailing the byways, sails unfurled. I just need to find a better ship, this thing I have now is kind of an orphan.

Fuel has by far been our greatest expense, and at 6 to 7 mpg now I dont see that changing any with a Bus, and its just going to get more expensive over time. But a major breakdown out on the road could totally trump the cost of fuel in a hurry. Guess thats the gamble you take. But thats the same with life really, just driving out of your yard every day is a gamble. So you prepare, you bring spares, either cash or parts (or both), or you dont.

I cant yet fathom the idea of stopping. My Dad lives with us, and at 89 he is starting to have a few issues that require more of our efforts. Another reason I am looking at a Bus, it would be the best way to travel with him. But I too will one day have to hang up the keys. My heart goes out to any and all who have to make that decision.

As for the spouse thinking the same thoughts in the same space and time? Thats what you call being equally yoked, just as God intended. I too wish you the best in whatever course you take.
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 10:18:40 PM »

Arthur:

How much are you asking for your bus?

Dr. Steve, central old Mexico

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 11:06:14 PM »

MLH - as I recall the saying, it's: If it floats, flies or f***s .... you're better off renting it .... sorry but it's my mantra

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 07:41:44 AM »

As for the spouse thinking the same thoughts in the same space and time? Thats what you call being equally yoked, just as God intended.

Art, I ended up very lucky that way.  There was another post that I saw before his editing, of someone that is in the same position now that I was 12 years ago.  We were both mid-late 40's, never married.  I'd moved around the country too much with a management company, and after I stopped moving, I was travelling a lot on business.  We had each become content with our lives, weren't looking.  We'd met at church, about 10 years previously, dated a bit off and on - nothing big.  After a long period of going our separate ways, I'd left that church, we hadn't seen each other in quite a while, Phyllis called me.  Her company/department had a suite at the Mesquite Rodeo - would I like to go?  I'd never been to a rodeo, so I thought it'd be interesting.  I figured I was going to eat and watch horses and cows maybe she needed someone to introduce to her coworkers, who whatever.  That progressed to seeing each other again, with no plans -- in fact, we were each still quite happily single.  It just happened, even though we didn't want/seek it --- so God was obviously making our plans for us.

It makes life a lot easier when we approach things the same way -- keeps the blood pressure down.  We get an extra, unpaid item in our bag at the grocery store, and the only discussion is whether we go back to return it then, or wait for our next trip and save gas.  Neither of us is fond of visiting one of her relatives, but we do it because it's the right thing to do.

Now, for the earlier poster that's now in the same boat as we were -- mid 40's, first marriage -- there was still a heck of a learning curve.  We were both well set in our ways.  It was work, hard work.  It still is work at times.  However, just as work yields a paycheck (at least, with all of my clients except the City of New Orleans), this work also has quite a reward.

Arthur

1968 PD-4107

qayqayt

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 06:55:11 PM »

Most of our friends look at us as if they're going to run out and get straight jackets for us.  The most common comment is "Why would I drop my money into an old bus when I can use it to fly anywhere in the world?"

On the minus side, we have to pay around $1,700 a year to store it and they have a strict policy that you can't work on it or even wash it on site.  We've put easily $10,000 into it over the 3 years we've owned it.  The cost of fuel is... well.. you know. 

On the plus side my wife, Rhonda is also a bus fan.  The mechanics on the coach are relatively simple and when I get over my head I have a couple of friends who have been valuable lifelines.  There are always projects to do, which I list as a "plus" as the coach has become a hobby.  I'd like to think the bus is in better shape than when we purchased it.  Both former owners took really good care of it and it shows.

We don't regret it for a minute.  But having said that... I understand. 

Bryan and Rhonda
PD-4108
Vancouver BC

Bryan
Vancouver BC
GM PD-4108
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2011, 06:41:14 AM »

Steve, I sent you a private message yesterday.

Arthur

1968 PD-4107

papatony

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2011, 07:04:27 AM »

Arthur:my wife and I met in a church ( ministry ) I worked in and went thru a lot of the things you did Both diversed for ten years.. We know God put us to gather but we haven't figured which one he was mad at.   papa T
Rick59-4104

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2011, 07:32:15 AM »

As this thread has kind of got to soul searching over the wisdom of owning a bus here is my story...I like to drive older vehicles, still have my 1970 muscle car I bought almost 40 years ago when I was 16, have a 1968 International pickup, a 1972 Grumman Van, and was driving a 1976 Jeep Wagoneer to work the last few days in the snow. I can pretty much work on any problems on the older vehicles myself or can call in a couple of friends if I get in over my head.

I do have for my wife a 04 Honda and a 98 Jeep Cherokee but when they need much more than preventative work they go to a shop.

My previous Motorhome was a 22' 1973 Barth, it was a great little camper but I really got nervous hauling the grandkids around in it with the 16" truck tires, (worried about a front tire blowout every time I drove it.) I really was not looking for a bus but found the 1959 4104 up the road in Branson, got into it I feel very cheap, it had a new complete brake job, new wheels, new tires and a really nice conversion. I drive an 18 wheeler and for me bigger is better. While I do not plan on any cross country trips in the near future it is a blast to take on local camping trips with the kids and grandkids. My wife loves the storage the bus has over the Barth. The safety factor I feel with the kids aboard is priceless. I signed up for Coachnet when I bought the bus, can do most of the work on it myself, have a couple of friends I can count on if I get in over my head and do not regret the decision to buy the bus at all. I live in the country and in the great state of Arkansas so how many old vehicles I have in the driveway and in the garage is just between me and my wife.

In the past couple of years the previous owner made trips in the '04 to the Southwest U.S. and New England.  When I do decide to take a long trip I will do all the preventative maintaince I can and I feel pretty good about my chances of getting there and back. Now if diesel just stays under $4.00 a gallon Smiley

Rick
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 01:19:39 PM by Rick59-4104 » Logged

NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
1972 Grumman Kurbmaster Stepvan Conversion
1957 Airstream 13 panel Overlander
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2011, 08:02:38 AM »

We know God put us to gather but we haven't figured which one he was mad at

Tony, I love that line.  I'll have to find a place to use it, where I won't get into trouble.

Arthur

1968 PD-4107

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: