Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 07:50:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another one probably giving up  (Read 5111 times)
blank

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2011, 08:54:24 AM »

Now if diesel just stays under $4.00 a gallon Smiley Rick

I wouldnt bet on it Rick. We made a trip out to SD two summers ago (09) to visit my wifes relatives. When we left town (central Minnesota) fuel was at 4.59. Believing fuel was always cheaper in SD, because it always had before, I kept driving west watching the price rise, which was also normal for Minnesota. I ended up paying 4.95 gallon 60 miles into SD. We were originally talking about keeping on going and head out to the Black Hills, but her relatives told us it was even higher out there, IIRC fuel was 5.45 in Huron, and higher yet in Rapid City. That put the kabash on going any further west and forever changed my opinion of future fuel costs. Plan for it being high, and pray that it dont.

In the planning aspect, and if I ever find a Bus, I would like to install another fuel tank to carry enough fuel to make a trip and not need to freak out over the cost so much. Buy it when its down.  
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2011, 09:03:20 AM »

It may well be that fuel prices will rise in the future, but it's always cheaper at the next station you pass after you fill up Angry

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2011, 11:52:11 AM »

It may well be that fuel prices will rise in the future, but it's always cheaper at the next station you pass after you fill up Angry

Aint that the truth.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2011, 04:41:17 PM »

Aint that the truth.

We must have traveled the same roads.   I did learn a trick  that worked every time, I always waited till a couple days after Jack Conrad filled up. Then the price was always lower!!   JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
divinerightstrip

1990 Le Mirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2011, 09:39:26 AM »

When I first bought "Urge" the only place to keep him was 45 minutes south of me in a friend's backyard... and what happened?? No work on him for almost a year, minus painting the roof!

I completely understand... If my bus were still sitting in a field instead of outside my machine shop, I swear I would be stuck in the same place of having nothing accomplished. I completely understand your woes.

As far as your financial concerns, I am right there beside you. Luckily (hopefully) I have many decades ahead of me to catch up on what I have spent on my bus. Being someone who has never had over $5k at any given time, and has really no responsibilities aside myself, I have never had too much need to panic that I will ever be able to "not survive" if I were to go broke... It's a difficult thing to think about still. My mind gets changed every now and then and I oscillate between being worried and knowing that I am fine all the time. But, I never give up on the bus.

FWIW,
-DRT

The Bus Girl
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2011, 08:02:29 AM »

Well, it looks like I should change the title of this thread.  After much energy, we've decided to keep the 4107.  We had made the decision to sell, right before the initial post; and were proceeding in that direction.  Earlier this week, I went to pick it up from the shop, and it wouldn't charge -- and that seemed to seal the deal, we even had decided that the scrapyard might be a possibility.  Dropped the price, and someone was interested - even with needing to rebuild the alternator (final diagnosis of the non-charge, is that the alternator was on it's last legs, and was walking with a crutch).  Yesterday, I took a set of photos, and sent them to the prospective purchaser.

Phyllis and I had an extensive discussion last night, which also let me discover that she'd been thinking of selling it, far before the idea popped into my head.  (For anyone coming into the movie here, she was a great part of the impetus to buy it, in the first place).  Either way was fine with me, I could see both sides.  I will say, that after cleaning out the inside some yesterday to take photos, I also had second thoughts.  We tried to come up with a way to divine what God wanted us to do, went to bed, and both slept well.

Getting up this morning, she announced that she wanted to keep it.  I've emailed and called Marc (Jumpsuitman), and, while disappointed, he understands.  I also want to extend my public apology to Marc here, and thank him for his understanding.  It is encouraging to be able to work/talk with honorable people.

Part of the decision is to postpone the paint job, but put the money into an automatic transmission so Phyllis can drive it.  There is an 8V71/V730 powerpack at the mechanic's shop, that he was going to put into a 4106 -- but the bus owner hasn't paid him for the powerpack, nor the labor he's done so far.  We may see about swapping.  although that will lose me the "fun" of driving a stick, as I remember from driving 4905's in line service, it will make it easier to drive, and let her drive it, as well. 

So, apparently this was a chapter in the book, not the end.

Arthur 

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
MikeH

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2011, 08:15:15 AM »

Arthur,

First off, congrats on your decision. In reading this whole thread, it was pretty easy to hear the regret in your voice (can a typed note have a "voice"?) at the thought of giving it up. It looks like you have options and I hope they will work out for you.

Second, I have to state how totally impressed I am with your class to come in here and publicly apologize to your prospective buyer. That says so much for your character.

I also want to tell you how cool it is to see a marriage where you two really do act as one. I wish we could be around you so that would rub off on us. We at times have the same thoughts or ideas but often they are at different times! Or, one won't admit they have the same thought because they think they'd lose some perceived power in the relationship. Ouch. Thanks for showing us all a great example.

Mike

"It just ain't fair! How come the good guys always win?" -Bad Jack Cutter
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2011, 08:40:45 AM »

I would like to chime in as it is now known that I was the potential buyer...  Arthur is a class act and handled the situation as well as anyone could ask.  The way I feel is that the bus belongs to he and his wife, and they certainly have every right to change their mind since no money was spent by me and the deal was still in the talking stages.

Although I was indeed disappointed, my faith compels me to accept it with grace and to remain patient.  I have learned after many years of forcing my will in situations (to my own detriment) that God's plan for me is better than my own plan for myself.  I have every confidence that keeping the bus is the right thing for them and that the right bus for us will come in due time.

I am actually quite excited for them and perhaps this pivotal moment will inject them with new energy to go forward.  I wish the all the best.

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2011, 09:19:51 AM »

this is really good news, if only because endings are so filled with stress and disappointment.  Beginnings are the opposite - filled with happiness and optimism!   Now you have a new beginning!  On the powerpack exchange, I say go for it!  It not only marks a break from the old, it opens up a new path forward for you and your partner Phyllis as a team.  Why not share the fun?

Cheers, Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 09:23:13 AM »

Arthur and bride:

Congrats on being able to keep your bus.

I am still going to send you my friend's data over by Fort Worth who does bus conversions. Maybe he can be of help to you in your resurrection process.

Dr. Steve, central old Mexico

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2011, 09:42:52 AM »

Arthur & Phyllis -

I'm sure you both are somewhat relieved about your decision.  I'm still grieving over my 4106 that I donated. . . Cry

OTOH, I thoroughly encourage you to pursue the powertrain swap.  Not only will Phyllis enjoy driving it, but Arthur - you won't have to deal with that notorious wet clutch!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: